Facebook / Instagram, they spy, here is proof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
Does anybody think Webcams can be hacked? I?ve never had one but often wondered if bad guys could tap into and see what you?re doing.
Anything with an active internet or Bluetooth connection without strong encryption and good passwords can be hacked. I worked in computer security long enough to know it is just a matter of how badly people want your stuff. You want it to be enough work to make it not worth the effort. Going around with default passwords, no password, no encryption - well, you are just asking for the bored hacker to get you. And, like Gary, I have no illusions. I still prefer NSA have my data (which I am pretty sure they do) than Google.

If you read your Facebook contract you will see that you have given them permission to track you so that they can provide you with options you may want to consider. Even if Facebook is off, they track your every move. Once they're on your device you will have a very difficult time removing them. 

ro1459 said:
If you read your Facebook contract you will see that you have given them permission to track you so that they can provide you with options you may want to consider. Even if Facebook is off, they track your every move. Once they're on your device you will have a very difficult time removing them.

So Zuckerburg can see how many times I go to the bathroom during the day? If it doesn?t seem like it?s enough I might get some laxative ads on FB.  ;D Kidding aside, I do notice that when my wife or I peruse shopping sites it doesn?t take long for like items to show up on FB feed in ads.

Our expectations of privacy in this modern age are almost laughable.
If you have a home router, it generally has a single public IP address facing the outside world. Everything you do behind that router, regardless of the device you do it from, will show that same IP address.

So the provider system can track all of the sites that are visited from that one IP address, and consequently, every site you visit will track that one IP address. Those sites can then, if allowed, send information back to any active session on that IP address.

The only way to have privacy is to not allow anyone on your home network to do anything on the public internet.
But then, what would be the point of having an Internet router, at all?

Anything that you want to be private should not be done anywhere in public. Especially on the internet.

Oldgator73 said:
Does anybody think Webcams can be hacked? I?ve never had one but often wondered if bad guys could tap into and see what you?re doing.

I have seen stories that say they can be accessed by bad guys.  The day I read that I place a small round piece of black tape over it.  Never used it anyway.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'm not paranoid about it, but I'm also under no delusions about my privacy.  Big Business is much more intrusive than Big Brother!

I disagree that Big Business is more intrusive than Big Brother.
Big Brother is just not so obvious about it.
For a good read, check out "The Gods Eye View" by Barry Eisler.
Eisler is an excellent author and former CIA.

Oldgator73 said:
Never sit in front of your computer naked. You might just start getting ads for clothing optional campgrounds. Just saying. ;D

If I did that, they would disable the webcam.. !! LOL

I do notice that when my wife or I peruse shopping sites it doesn?t take long for like items to show up on FB feed in ads.

It makes it rough trying to keep your online christmas shopping a secret.

For a good read, check out "The Gods Eye View" by Barry Eisler.

I just marathoned the Fast and Furious movies. All 8 of them over two days. The plots of the last two movies had something they called God's eye, where every digital camera hooked to the internet could be used to track anyone in the world using facial recognition. Every camera including private cell phones, traffic cams, nanny cams, laptops, security cams etc.

For someone growin up in the 70s with books and movies like soylent green, 1984, and logans run, its kind of nerve wracking to see it all come to fruition and knowing where it could easily go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom