tow with a 17 yr old TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbTN

I have (at my preference) a 17 yr old truck. It is a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, auto, 4wd, 8 ft box, extended cab, auto trans. I love the 24 valve and 2nd gen body style. The Cummins is strong, starts on first tap (if you have a 2nd gen you know what I mean), just had the tranny rebuilt. The issue is it is a northern truck, spent some time in AK and CO. I've rebuilt the brakes and lines, the parking brake, exhaust, trans cooling, the drive line, and now the trans.

I am thinking it would be best to put a new hitch on it, but not sure that thick of steel will be compromised by rust. I like the idea of knowing its new and shiny but do I need to spend the $250+ for a new receiver hitch?

I calc the GCWR to allow about 9500 lbs for a trailer but plan to try to stay below that. It is just me ant the dog so payload will be minimal.

You should be able to get a good idea by the general condition of the truck. Have a good look at the frame and critical attachment points, if they still appear solid you are likely good to go. If you lived further north in the rust belt a 17 year old truck would be pretty much done.

If it is still solid, you seem like you stay on top of things mechanically.
The Hitch, I would take it to a places that installs hitches.  They will give you a professional opinion.  My guess is that you will be perfectly fine. Maybe have them replace the bolts or at least properly torque everything.  The frame the hitch bolts to can be severely rusted as well.  It's worth a professional opinion.
9000# is a lot of weight to come loose  ::) 

We are talking about the hitch RECEIVER, right?  It's a robust piece of steel and I wouldn't be at all concerned about surface rust. What I would do is inspect the attachment to the vehicle frame, both the attachment points on the hitch and the frame itself.  If its a factory install, it may be welded and welds can crack as well as rust. If bolted on, severe rust is the main worry a long as everything is tight. Replacing bolts may be a good idea.

just a follow up - the hitch looks solid and bolts are in good condition, not as much rust and I would have thought

When I bought the truck the owner mentioned having a camper or travel trailer, cant really remember since it wasn't my focus at the time so I requested a build sheet form dodge. Turns out is has both the camper and trailer pkg. so basically the same suspension as the 3500 with class 4 hitch and factory trailer wiring harness.

When they set the tongue down on the ball I don't think it dropped more than an inch. With the WDH it sat back to level, rode and drove great. Even in the mountains of GA and TN, I could hold between 60 - 65 pretty well and the temp never went over 195.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom