Portable LITHIUM battery jump starter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

I've only recently become aware of these lithium portable battery jump starters. Lugged around a heavy, lead based unit for years and found it hard to believe that these things could actually be a better replacement. But if you can believe what you read (it IS the Internet after all!) they would seem like a good investment to replace my current, dying jumper.

If that's the case, I'm wondering which model (power) would be the most suitable were we ever to need a jump start on our Class A?

Amazon listing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016UG6PWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

You Tube demo: https://youtu.be/YKVH0CcWeMo

I can't offer any specific advice on that model, but I can say generally that they work. I have two lithium packs now that replaced my old lead acid unit, and honestly only have two because I won them at a work Christmas party. I have used them to jump my own vehicles, out work cargo vans, the box truck at work, and even an atv. Extremely light and portable and very easy to use, as a bonus some offer double duty with USB ports to charge phones. Just be aware that you can't leave them in the cold. It's a hassle but I bring mine in every night during the winter and bring it inside work during the day. Batteries and cold don't mix, especially lithium.

Jkoht said:
Just be aware that you can't leave them in the cold. It's a hassle but I bring mine in every night during the winter and bring it inside work during the day. Batteries and cold don't mix, especially lithium.

Thanks for that reminder. I'll probably go ahead and buy one of these barring some glaring negative review from someone else here. From all the searching that I've done it seems like a no-brainer.

They usually work best as a "boost" rather then a "jump" in the sense that they typically won't start a vehicle with a totally dead battery. If you hook one up to a low battery though, and wait a couple of minutes for it to bring the lead battery back up some, they can get you going. The kind that also have USB ports will also power/charge your phones, hotspots, etc, for a lot longer than you'll likely ever need. Our daughters once used one on a 2-week hiking/camping trip to keep their phones and GPS charged, and it still had plenty of juice left when they got back home.

NY_Dutch said:
They usually work best as a "boost" rather then a "jump" in the sense that they typically won't start a vehicle with a totally dead battery. If you hook one up to a low battery though, and wait a couple of minutes for it to bring the lead battery back up some, they can get you going. The kind that also have USB ports will also power/charge your phones, hotspots, etc, for a lot longer than you'll likely ever need. Our daughters once used one on a 2-week hiking/camping trip to keep their phones and GPS charged, and it still had plenty of juice left when they got back home.

Not what I found to be true.

My little Harbor Freight $79 L/I battery pack  spun over and started my Chevy V8 truck with NO car battery in it at all. Cables got kinda hot but it did it 3 times in a row.  had this one about a year now and I've used it to start about 5 dead battery motorhomes .

This is the 3rd one I've had,  (both others,  somehow grew legs and walked out of my shop  ;) )    I've bought them off the Snap-On truck and from Harbor Freight, both appear to be the same tool.

Best damn battery jumper I've ever had.  USB and 12 vt. ports, flashlight and a battery jump starter, lasts forever..

I'll never be without one and I'm throwing my good jumper cables in the trash.

everyone should get one.

That hasn't been the experiences I've read in many reviews of various brands, but I'm glad to see HF is selling a quality product that works well for you.

NY_Dutch said:
They usually work best as a "boost" rather then a "jump" in the sense that they typically won't start a vehicle with a totally dead battery.

Hmmm... that's contrary to everything I've been reading about these Litiums. A number of videos showing users jump starting multiple cars & trucks with a single charge-- some of which had batteries that were totally dead.

jymbee said:
Hmmm... that's contrary to everything I've been reading about these Litiums. A number of videos showing users jump starting multiple cars & trucks with a single charge-- some of which had batteries that were totally dead.

As I have done several times,  these little things can pass 400 amps (or more) of 12 volt battery power out for a jump start. 

///
Dutch... I've owned 3 of them...one off of the Snap-On truck($130), one from a major parts dealer($120) and this last one from good ol' Harbor Freight ($79).    All of them were good tools.

Back
Top Bottom