Short Update to Closed Topic Regarding Our Society.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I started a thread on August 31st titled "What is happening to our society".  It was rightfully closed down after 6 pages of posts that finally wandered too far off the line.  In the original post I mentioned that my 75 year old wife had taken a fall while walking a dog in our subdivision.  After a bit she managed to get up but at least two cars had passed and looked at her and kept going. She was bruised and sore but told me she could walk home when she called to tell me about the fall. 
    Since that time she has been very sore on her upper left side and using ice packs when she is sitting.  I started bugging her to go to the doctor and at least get an xray but his lady is very stubborn and I could not convince her to do that.
    Finally, after nearly 3 weeks I convinced her that it would really be easy to get into our doctor's walk in morning clinic.  The pain must have finally won out because we did go in and she had an xray.  Two fractured ribs was the diagnosis so now i have finally convinced her to let me do all the heavy lifting for a couple of months.  That is a major achievement.  I have a bad back but through some pain meds and a back brace I can do most things.
    While the fall and it's consequences were not avoidable I would still like to get my stubby little hands around the necks of those millenials who passed her by.

Bill

Is your Wife related to mine?  Last Christmas walking into church on Christmas morning she fell on the ice and shattered her left wrist.  I said let's get to the Emergency Room and she replied, "After church!"  That's what we did.

Now she has a plate and seven screws in her wrist.

Stubborn!

Thanks for the update Bill, and sorry to hear about the fractured ribs. I hope that recovery will be speedy, although we know that fractured bones take time.

Several years ago we were returning to Cardiff, Wales airport very early in the morning for a flight to Amsterdam and a connecting flight to SFO. We had chosen an old 'main' country road rather than the freeway, and came across a serious accident; A van had crashed into a 17th century stone cottage. The driver of the van was half out of the cab and dangling in the narrow roadway. While a nearby resident and I tried to tend to the driver and passenger, Chris was trying to get speeding cars to slow down, fearing they'd run over the driver. No way would they slow down, and merely navigated around around her and the accident. It finally took cop cars blocking the roadway for vehicles to slow down.

Glad to hear she went to the doctor...  I may have missed the "Two cars passed by" part.

But of late I have been recalling a story where two people passed by (The 3rd stopped to help) this may help your view of modern society.. The story... The Good Samaritan. It's in the Bible.

Counter story: we were driving the toad in western Iowa, very rural, and pulled off an I-80exit to get fuel at a convenience store. There was a young woman in an older car stopped with her blinkers on in the middle of the exit. Kevin asked me to see if she needed help since random men can sometimes spook women. Her car had overheated badly, and she had a young child in the car. Kevin came over to help me push the car to the shoulder. As we lined up behind us, four cars came up the exit, and all four stopped to help. With seven of us, it didn?t take long to get the car to the shoulder even though it was uphill. The only vehicle that didn?t stop was a truck pulling a big trailer, and there was absolutely no room for him to park. No one left until the young woman assured us her boyfriend was on his way and would be there in 30 minutes.

Nice people exist.

I think it often human nature. None of us want to admit we are sick, or something may really be wrong. Maybe it's the fear of the unknown. I lost someone really close to me that way.  I won't let it happen again.

John From Detroit said:
Glad to hear she went to the doctor...  I may have missed the "Two cars passed by" part.

But of late I have been recalling a story where two people passed by (The 3rd stopped to help) this may help your view of modern society.. The story... The Good Samaritan. It's in the Bible.
:)) :)) :))

When we were young these little falls and trips and other little injuries were no big deal. As we get older ours bones get a bit brittle, our skin a bit thinner. What was a little bruise at 25 could be a broken bone or cellulitis at 70. We senior citizens have to take care of each other. A broken hip or even a fractured rib could end up being fatal at our age. For those seniors that live alone a minor fall could end up being catastrophic if you can?t get to the phone or someone doesn?t just happen by and find you. It is incumbent on us to be vigilant and if we don?t see our neighbors going about their daily routines to check on them. If we don?t hear from friends or family as we would routinely do, we should investigate.
I have to believe there are more folks that will stop to help than not. At least I really hope so. I?m sorry the cars that went past Bill?s wife didn?t stop. Her fall could have been much more serious than it was. She could have died on that sidewalk. Sometimes mere minutes can make a difference and someone?s apathy could be the difference between life and death. Bill, I?m sorry your wife and for that matter you had to go through this. A simple act of enjoying a walk with your dog ends in pain and suffering for weeks or months. I would have stopped. I would have helped. Not only because by the grace of God, there goes my wife but because it?s just the right thing to do. I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

That?s sad no one stopped to help your wife. Glad to hear her injuries were not major and that she knows now to take it easy for her healing. It?s unfortunate she had to experience both the fall itself and also the fall from society where people think it?s okay to not serve and help a fellow ?neighbor?. Glad she is ok!

Oldgator73 said:

I have to believe there are more folks that will stop to help than not. Not only because by the grace of God, there goes my wife but because it?s just the right thing to do. I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

I agree that more would stop than not but she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time - a subdivision of homes occupied my mostly younger working age people who, at the time of the incident, were probably already late for work - about 8:10 am.  Thanks for the kind thoughts.  She is now completely accepting of my offers to do the jobs she was forcing herself to continue doing.  Want to know how to wash clothes?.....lol

Bill

Bill N said:
She is now completely accepting of my offers to do the jobs she was forcing herself to continue doing. Want to know how to wash clothes?.....lol

Bill

In 2014 my wife fell and broke her wrist. For 6 weeks or so it was my job to do most of the cooking, cleaning, dishes & laundry. As a result we now have an ongoing joke that whenever I do housework, Kim refers to it as my "woman's work". We have a good time with it.

And ironically, when she fell an elderly gentleman walking nearby stopped to help her. :)

I am not so sure as to how many would stop v/s pass you by.> But I recall a man who had 2 flat tires (one at a time) the result was he had no spare but he did have the next best thing. an AAA membership.

So I pulled off behind him.. My wife "Why do we have to stop"
Me: Do you see anyone else stopping?
She: Why can't the police do it
Me: Do you see a police car.

Well I dialed AAA, passed the corded cell phone out the window so he could read his membership number to 'em.. NOTE. I used a non-listed number at AAA which was given to me as a police dispatcher. Got my $$$ Chewed for talking to AAA about it. but we got far better service thanks to it.

He got a tow. We split.  No harm no foul.  But the discussion between Wife and I says a lot.

Discussion between me and wife if I stopped:

Wife-Why are we stopping?
Me-Looks like he needs help.
Wife-You don?t know crap about fixing cars.
Me-Maybe there?s something I can do.
Wife-Yeah, when you open the hood there?ll be a big neon arrow pointing to the broken thing.
Me-Hey buddy, need any help?
Buddy-Nah, I already looked. No neon arrow. Called AAA.

Gator, that's a cute one.  Thanks for the laugh!

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom