Which converter to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

over40pirate

Need a new converter to replace the Magnatek.
Progressive Dynamics has a new model PD 4646VL that's been out for about 2 months.
The other model is the PD 4645V
All the good reports about the PD converters is the older models.
Any reason to buy the newer? ($16. more)
How do the WFCO converters compare?

Googling I noticed the 4645 VL  showed "Dual cooling fans" on the Best  converter web site..

I think I'd give Randy at Best Converter a contact and ask him. I don't see much difference

YOu might also want to consider a Factory Refurb (What I"m running now) call Progressive Dynamics in Marshall Mi. at 269-781-4241 They close early liek 4pm Eastern as I recall.  (I remember when Marshall was in the 517 Area code But so was I back then).

WFCO had some early life failure problems a dozen years ago, but I haven't seen any negative reports in quite a while. I'd be willing to give them a try.

PD got really high marks for their 9100 & 9200 models, but we don't hear so much about the 4600 and others. Lack of complaints is probably good news, though.  When the PD units first came out, most RVs had crappy Magneteks (6300/7300) or the somewhat better 9000's, so the 3-stage PD units got wide acclaim. Now, most of the cheaper units offer 3 stage charging and quality electronic controls, so the PD no longer stands out from the crowd.

I have a Progressive Dynamics 9200 series which was installed by the previous owner of my coach, all I have to say about it is that it seems to work.  Not sure what more one can say about a converter.

The comments about PD's different models. There is basically no difference between the 9200 and the 4600 save the packaging.  The 4600's internals are the same as the 9200s but the case is different since the 4600 is designed as a replacement for an existing "Built into the power center" converter.

So anything one says about the 9200. applies to the 4600.

The 9100 is different.. Unless you plug in a charge wizard then it becomes much the same as a 9200 + optional dongle.. I have a 9180+wizard. my 2nd.

As relates to the last comment, it should be noted that Progressive Dynamics has recently published an undated press release saying they have invested in a surface mount circuit board assembly line vs the traditional pin through hole circuit board assembly that their products have traditionally used.  Whether this has any effect of quality is unknown, but I would say this switch invalidates much of the accumulated wisdom on construction quality of their products, at least when it comes to the circuit boards that make up much of the product.  Either style of circuit board design works, and can have good or bad implementations, though surface mount allows for greater component density allowing circuit boards to be smaller.

It is possible that we will be seeing all new product numbers for their products that use surface mount circuit boards, of course it is also possible that we will not, and they will be silently put in place in existing products that have the same external appearance.

I use a whole lot of both "Pin through hole" and "Surface mount" technology. I see no difference in quality but service cost is higher with surface mount I suspect (never had one fail that was worth fixing) surface mount has been around a long, long time.. I do not work on it.. Need younger eyes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom