Cotopaxi CO to Walsenburg CO - Rt 1A & 69

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

Traveling from Ouray CO to Oklahoma City, OK

What can I expect from route 1A  at Cotopaxi to route 69 to Walsenburg (driving 38' MH and toad)?

We'll be picking up I-25 South at Walsenburg.

Thanks, Tom

Heli_av8tor said:
Traveling from Ouray CO to Oklahoma City, OK

What can I expect from route 1A  at Cotopaxi to route 69 to Walsenburg (driving 38' MH and toad)?

We'll be picking up I-25 South at Walsenburg.

Thanks, Tom
My son's ex-mother-in-law lives in Westcliff so I've been across 69 many times. Last time I remember it as being a good road. Between Westcliff and Walsenburg, just set the cruise control and keep it between the lines.

I know I've been across 1A & 69 between Westcliff and Cotopaxi because I've come home through there. Westcliff 69 to 1A to 50 to Salida to Poncha Springs where I picked up 285 down to 160 to head west. I don't remember anything to be concerned about. We also had a 38' MH with a toad.

Hope this helps. Have a good trip.

Just remembered that the intersection of 50 and 1A is not like a regular intersection. Easy to miss it.

Coming from the west it is just a road between two buildings to the right. Look at the sat view on google maps then go to "Street View" and you'll see what I mean.

Change of plans.

Looks like Hwy 114 south off Hwy 50 between Gunnison and Parlin to Saguache, then 285 to 160 at Alamosa, to Walsenburg and I-25 South is a better route.

That way we'll miss Monarch.

Tom

Tom, where are you staying in Oklahoma City? We will be there a couple of nights visiting family at the end of October. I used to live there (45 years ago!), but everything has changed.

Heli_av8tor said:
Change of plans.

Looks like Hwy 114 south off Hwy 50 between Gunnison and Parlin to Saguache, then 285 to 160 at Alamosa, to Walsenburg and I-25 South is a better route.

That way we'll miss Monarch.

Tom

Are you taking 87 out of Raton?

Don,

Yes, we plan on 87 from Raton to Elk City, OK where we will pick up I-40.

Good Route?

We enjoyed CO !!4 from 50 to Saguache. We then following a few county roads over to CO 17 to US 160. Had one short pull that dropped me to 1st gear otherwise grades were relatively gradual.

Tom

Heli_av8tor said:
Don,

Yes, we plan on 87 from Raton to Elk City, OK where we will pick up I-40.

Good Route?

Tom
I drove it once but it was so many years ago that I don't remember anything about it.
If you're eligible to use FamCamps, they have a nice one at Tinker AFB.

Since you can't use the fam camps, east of OK City, in Shawnee, is the Heart of Oklahoma Exposition Center.  We stayed there one night and it's pretty nice,  Better than Walmart for sure.
One neat thing, it was a Friday night, and the stock car boys were having a practice night at the dirt track that is on the Expo grounds.  My bro-in-law and I spend several hours watching everything from 10 year olds in midget racers all the way up to the Outlaw type sprint cars run hot laps.  For free.

87 started narrow and winding for 18 miles and 45 mph limit. Gentle 1000 ft climb to 9000 ft
Then it widened and limit to 65 mph. Another 1000 ft  climb in 4 miles that had me in 1st gear by the summit.

Overall a good route that I?d take again.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom