rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Why do some rv parks not allow class C?  (Read 1978 times)

cktyu

Why do some rv parks not allow class C?
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:22:48 AM »
I never knew there is this type of discrimination, but why don't they allow class C motorhomes? Are there technical reasons for that?

Isaac-1

• ---
Re: Why do some rv parks not allow class C?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 01:17:12 AM »
Exclusivity, some even only allow larger class A's over a certain length
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Ragodi

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 04:49:30 AM »
Never knew that. What's the business logic behind this?

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 05:53:43 AM »
Money
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »
As HappyWanderer said, "Money". Some people are willing pay pretty high prices for that exclusivity.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:08:17 AM »
Money, snob appeal, whatever you want to call it.  Class A Motorhome Resorts are typically geared to high end RV owners with upscale wants and needs. And a budget to match.  Because of pricing, such places don't actually lose much business by banning Class C's but they gain in exclusivity (the snob factor, if you will).   The biggest problem for the Class A Resorts are the coaches based on heavy trucks, e.g. Jayco Seneca or Renegade XL. They are technically Class C's and thus not permitted, but making an exception for them opens up a can of worms as to what is or is not allowed.  I've seen a very few places that base their exclusivity based on length rather than type, e.g. 35 feet +, but that has its pitfalls too.
We've stayed in several Class A only resorts across the USA, in Florida, South Carolina, Oregon and California.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:11:01 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »
The same reason some RV parks are age restricted, IE 55+.  They are focusing on the segment of the RVing public that they want to cater to. I had a brand new 37' Class A RV a few years back, and was turned away from a park for not being old enough. It was a private park and they could set their own rules. I shrugged it off and moved on. The amount of parks that is either type of RV or age  restricted is tiny compared to the amount of parks out there. 

There are more parks that have rules regarding the age of the RV, IE over 10 years old. They too are trying to restrict the condition of the RV's allowed in their park.  Some are flexible about that number, some are not.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 03:07:48 PM »
Every business caters to a certain clientele whether it's senior, teenagers, children or RVs of a certain age or type.  Some people prefer "resorts" while others prefer "campgrounds."  I don't see it as discrimination but as target marketing.  Each to their own!  ::)

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

john owens

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:44:22 PM »
Back in 2012 we had refurbished inside and out our 1985 Lazy Daze Class C rig. She is a massive 22 footer. I made rez at an upper end campground on the Island at Havasu. They had an age restriction on rigs that can stay there. !0 years as I recall. We checked in and not a word was said about our shiny newish camper. We were the shortest rig there and got a few stares from the regulars but had a great time.  ::)
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »
Some parks. (This is my THeory) have so much business they have to turn people away based on the class of the RV or the age... I have always figured if they have that much business.. Don't need mine.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 05:36:23 PM »
The same reason some RV parks are age restricted, IE 55+.  They are focusing on the segment of the RVing public that they want to cater to. I had a brand new 37' Class A RV a few years back, and was turned away from a park for not being old enough.

Not necessarily.  There's a federal housing exemption for 55 and over parks, that's the only way they can legally exempt families with children.

And if they do admit children there's a whole list of things they have to supply including play space.  And in at least one case (Jojoba Hills Escapees co-op) they have an exemption from local school taxes based on their adults only, 55 years and older designation. 

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »

We've stayed in several Class A only resorts across the USA, in Florida, South Carolina, Oregon and California.

Gee Gary, I didn't think you were a snob. :)
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Marysmall

• ---
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 01:13:08 AM »
Some are flexible for number, some are not.

Koodog

• ---
  • Another Day in Paradise - Lyons, CO
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 07:41:24 AM »
Every business caters to a certain clientele whether it's senior, teenagers, children or RVs of a certain age or type.  Some people prefer "resorts" while others prefer "campgrounds."  I don't see it as discrimination but as target marketing.  Each to their own!  ::)

ArdraF
Exactly!
Business's just like consumers are FREE to choose.
Seems like we are becoming a society of entitlement.
02 Rexhall 3550BSL
Triton V10 powered
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Walt & Terry Sanford

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 00 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
    • WorKamping in Santa Fe and Tucson
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 08:19:43 AM »
We search out the 55+ parks, never saw one that excluded class C's, have experienced the truck camper rule.  There are plenty of parks out there that will accept whatever you have, I have no need to visit every park.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Retired from Old Faithful, On The Road for a bit
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara.
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
Gee Gary, I didn't think you were a snob. :)

Hi BruceinFL, Enjoyed your good humor comment.  ;D

I always felt that Gary would be the type of neighbor I'd love to have in a campground.  ;D Heck being a beer affectionado alone puts him up there with me. Now I am not so sure I might be the type of neighbor he'd prefer though  ;)  There are a great deal of people from the forum I'd enjoy camping with. Hope to meet up with some more in the future.

Since I price shop when doing campgrounds, I probably filter myself out of the ritzy places and don't have to worry. I do worry about age restrictions but I try to keep my rig looking as good as I can. Exercise beyond what I thought it would be! Best!
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 09:20:34 AM »
Gee Gary, I didn't think you were a snob.
LOL, Bruce. I probably have my moments, but we enjoy a wide spectrum of venues, anywhere from Down Home to Ultra Elite. Whether RV parks, restaurants, entertainment or homes.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »

Seems like we are becoming a society of entitlement.

Entitled to discriminate by social class. Used to be entitled to discriminate by race and gender too.

Senator

• ---
    • No NonsenseLandlord
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:03 AM »
IMHO, it is used to keep lower income people, and people with less than desirable social skills, out. 

A 10-year old class A is generally still valuable.  And Class As are generally more money to acquire.  More money, which generally means a better credit score, means less domestic assaults, better behaved kids, less un-desirable behaviors, less noise, better social skills, etc.

They could probably get the same better clientele by using credit score, but that would be a nightmare to facilitate.  A background check probably would not fly in the RV world.  A Class A that is less than 10 years old is their way of doing a background check.

As a long time landlord, I can attest to the better income/credit scores means better tenant behaviors for a apartment (not an RV).  It's not 100%, but just as not all pit bulls are bad, there are enough bad pits to keep the rest of the good ones out.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:10:11 AM by Senator »
2015 Keystone Alpine 3536RE
2017 Ford F350 Platinum, SRW, CCLB

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »
Simply snob appeal as we class C'ers are looked down upon. I have 200 or $300k less worries than many class A owners..
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 07:48:46 PM »
Lots of Class A units cost less than some Class Cs, especially the Super Cs. It isnít a price thing, but it is an exclusivity thing. I donít get why people get bent out of shape about restrictions of any kind. I could go around loudly proclaiming that state and national parks need to rework their campgrounds because I donít fit. Itís discrimination, I say! Just as silly as complaining because of a minimum size restriction or age restriction or type of RV. Just fine a spot you like that you fit and that fits your style, then ignore the rest. Life is too short.

Oh, and I got my first Class A in June. When I had travel trailers and pop ups, I didnít go to the class a resorts, and I didnít complain about it.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 06:42:16 AM »
Lots of Class A units cost less than some Class Cs, especially the Super Cs. It isnít a price thing, but it is an exclusivity thing. I donít get why people get bent out of shape about restrictions of any kind. I could go around loudly proclaiming that state and national parks need to rework their campgrounds because I donít fit. Itís discrimination, I say! Just as silly as complaining because of a minimum size restriction or age restriction or type of RV. Just fine a spot you like that you fit and that fits your style, then ignore the rest. Life is too short.

Oh, and I got my first Class A in June. When I had travel trailers and pop ups, I didnít go to the class a resorts, and I didnít complain about it.

like I said, snob appeal

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »
like I said, snob appeal

And on the other end of the spectrum, there are campgrounds that are tent and/or hammock camping only.  ;)
Dutch

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
Just a different form of snob appeal.   Real men don't need RVs.  ;)
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 07:52:46 PM »

And on the other end of the spectrum, there are campgrounds that are tent and/or hammock camping only.  ;)
:))

And a few of my very crunchy tent camping friends definitely look down on me since we donít really camp and experience nature any more.  :D ;)
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 11:00:33 PM »

And a few of my very crunchy tent camping friends definitely look down on me since we donít really camp and experience nature any more.  :D ;)

Yep, and that's why I tell them, I don't camp. I "RV".   ;D
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Senator

• ---
    • No NonsenseLandlord
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 07:13:46 AM »
like I said, snob appeal 

Probably just like residential neighborhoods are.  People live in a neighborhood that they do, even though there are cheaper and closer (to where they want to be) neighborhoods available.  The neighborhood quality is typically directly proportional to it's price.
2015 Keystone Alpine 3536RE
2017 Ford F350 Platinum, SRW, CCLB

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »
Probably just like residential neighborhoods are.  People live in a neighborhood that they do, even though there are cheaper and closer (to where they want to be) neighborhoods available.  The neighborhood quality is typically directly proportional to it's price.

I have stayed at RV parks that are very nice and make no discrimination with Class C's.  I have had my Tioga parked between 2 Class A's ( $250,000 level) many times and those guys were pretty impressed with our rig as well as my site setup with awnings, shade sails and a canopy with a screen insert we put our cats into.  Then they saw my electronics with cell bosster and wifi exterior antennas on telescopic masts I put up.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
Yep, and that's why I tell them, I don't camp. I "RV".   ;D

Exactly!  :)) :)) :))
Dutch

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 00 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
    • WorKamping in Santa Fe and Tucson
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »

I just tell them, been there done that, and when they are ready they too can graduate.  For backpacking, the tent is the way to go, but for travel, who needs to put away a wet tent?
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Retired from Old Faithful, On The Road for a bit
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara.
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI