Why do some rv parks not allow class C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cktyu

I never knew there is this type of discrimination, but why don't they allow class C motorhomes? Are there technical reasons for that?

Money, snob appeal, whatever you want to call it.  Class A Motorhome Resorts are typically geared to high end RV owners with upscale wants and needs. And a budget to match.  Because of pricing, such places don't actually lose much business by banning Class C's but they gain in exclusivity (the snob factor, if you will).  The biggest problem for the Class A Resorts are the coaches based on heavy trucks, e.g. Jayco Seneca or Renegade XL. They are technically Class C's and thus not permitted, but making an exception for them opens up a can of worms as to what is or is not allowed.  I've seen a very few places that base their exclusivity based on length rather than type, e.g. 35 feet +, but that has its pitfalls too.
We've stayed in several Class A only resorts across the USA, in Florida, South Carolina, Oregon and California.

The same reason some RV parks are age restricted, IE 55+.  They are focusing on the segment of the RVing public that they want to cater to. I had a brand new 37' Class A RV a few years back, and was turned away from a park for not being old enough. It was a private park and they could set their own rules. I shrugged it off and moved on. The amount of parks that is either type of RV or age  restricted is tiny compared to the amount of parks out there. 

There are more parks that have rules regarding the age of the RV, IE over 10 years old. They too are trying to restrict the condition of the RV's allowed in their park.  Some are flexible about that number, some are not.

Every business caters to a certain clientele whether it's senior, teenagers, children or RVs of a certain age or type.  Some people prefer "resorts" while others prefer "campgrounds."  I don't see it as discrimination but as target marketing.  Each to their own!  ::)

ArdraF

Back in 2012 we had refurbished inside and out our 1985 Lazy Daze Class C rig. She is a massive 22 footer. I made rez at an upper end campground on the Island at Havasu. They had an age restriction on rigs that can stay there. !0 years as I recall. We checked in and not a word was said about our shiny newish camper. We were the shortest rig there and got a few stares from the regulars but had a great time.  ::)

Some parks. (This is my THeory) have so much business they have to turn people away based on the class of the RV or the age... I have always figured if they have that much business.. Don't need mine.

SargeW said:
The same reason some RV parks are age restricted, IE 55+.  They are focusing on the segment of the RVing public that they want to cater to. I had a brand new 37' Class A RV a few years back, and was turned away from a park for not being old enough.

Not necessarily.  There's a federal housing exemption for 55 and over parks, that's the only way they can legally exempt families with children.

And if they do admit children there's a whole list of things they have to supply including play space.  And in at least one case (Jojoba Hills Escapees co-op) they have an exemption from local school taxes based on their adults only, 55 years and older designation. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
We've stayed in several Class A only resorts across the USA, in Florida, South Carolina, Oregon and California.

Gee Gary, I didn't think you were a snob. :)

ArdraF said:
Every business caters to a certain clientele whether it's senior, teenagers, children or RVs of a certain age or type.  Some people prefer "resorts" while others prefer "campgrounds."  I don't see it as discrimination but as target marketing.  Each to their own!  ::)

ArdraF
Exactly!
Business's just like consumers are FREE to choose.
Seems like we are becoming a society of entitlement.

We search out the 55+ parks, never saw one that excluded class C's, have experienced the truck camper rule.  There are plenty of parks out there that will accept whatever you have, I have no need to visit every park.

BruceinFL said:
Gee Gary, I didn't think you were a snob. :)

Hi BruceinFL, Enjoyed your good humor comment.  ;D

I always felt that Gary would be the type of neighbor I'd love to have in a campground.  ;D Heck being a beer affectionado alone puts him up there with me. Now I am not so sure I might be the type of neighbor he'd prefer though  ;)  There are a great deal of people from the forum I'd enjoy camping with. Hope to meet up with some more in the future.

Since I price shop when doing campgrounds, I probably filter myself out of the ritzy places and don't have to worry. I do worry about age restrictions but I try to keep my rig looking as good as I can. Exercise beyond what I thought it would be! Best!

Koodog said:
Seems like we are becoming a society of entitlement.

Entitled to discriminate by social class. Used to be entitled to discriminate by race and gender too.

IMHO, it is used to keep lower income people, and people with less than desirable social skills, out. 

A 10-year old class A is generally still valuable.  And Class As are generally more money to acquire.  More money, which generally means a better credit score, means less domestic assaults, better behaved kids, less un-desirable behaviors, less noise, better social skills, etc.

They could probably get the same better clientele by using credit score, but that would be a nightmare to facilitate.  A background check probably would not fly in the RV world.  A Class A that is less than 10 years old is their way of doing a background check.

As a long time landlord, I can attest to the better income/credit scores means better tenant behaviors for a apartment (not an RV).  It's not 100%, but just as not all pit bulls are bad, there are enough bad pits to keep the rest of the good ones out.

Back
Top Bottom