City Water Inlet Replacement question (Photo)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCGordon

My inlet is leaking (profusely)....  What is the best way to replace this particular setup?  Will I have to cut the caulk and pull the entire fixture out or can I access it from beneath?  Can I cut around it and then replace it with one of the inlets with the round three screw mounting fixture?  Also, no jokes about the mildew....  lol.  I just got this camper, it sat for a year with no maintenance. 

Attachments

• IMG_0584 (1).JPG
    IMG_0584 (1).JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 39
What part of the city water hookup is leaking? As Rene mentions, perhaps all it needs is a new washer where the hose attaches if that is where it is leaking.
To address access question. I know on our 22G I can access the backside of the city water and fresh water tank fill connections by removing a couple of drawers from the kitchen cabinets. I'd think you should be able to access the back of yours by figuring out where those lines come inside the rig and go in from there from the inside.
Anyway, where is the leak, exactly? That can help with replacement or repair talk.

I will replace the rubber washer and try it again.  It's a good possibility that is where the leak is now that I think about it. It wasn't leaking at all the first time I hooked it up and now all of a sudden it's leaking like crazy, the washer may have just fell out.  Who knows.  If it's still leaking after that I'll post another photo of where it is coming out.  Thanks for the replies, I have really learned a lot just from reading the posts on this forum.  First time owner here, and the learning curve is STEEP!!

That type of inlet fixture is usually mounted in a sidewall, so rarely accessible from under or behind. I'd look, of course, but plan on removing it if one of the other fixes doesn't work.  After removing the screws, carefully slice the caulk bead away and pry up with a stiff putty knife. It probably has butyl caulk under the edges in addition to the caulk bead around the outside.

Before doing any of that, though, check more closely on the source of the leak.  Does it leak with the cap off, or only when a hose is connected?  Leak from the hose fitting, or behind the fixture?

yep, the rubber washer had fallen out.  Went home at lunch and put a new washer in, hooked the hose to it and no leaks anywhere.  Thanks for the pointers. 

JCGordon said:
yep, the rubber washer had fallen out.  Went home at lunch and put a new washer in, hooked the hose to it and no leaks anywhere.  Thanks for the pointers.

Did you put in one of these? If you didn't I think you should it will stop allot of stuff going into your system and plugging up all your aerators and shower head.

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-50382-Metal-Filter-Washers/dp/B00190OF9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537473550&sr=8-2&keywords=garden+hose+washer+with+screen&dpID=51WIS3E62qL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Just so you know. YOu remove the "Benzel" (the panel it is mounted on) you should be able to pull it out like an inch or 3 (not much more) and after that removing the specific inlet. should that be needed, is simple. replacement likewise.

Glad it was a simple fix!  Always look for those first!!

It would help if you modified your profile to include a description of your rig.  Year, make, model, etc  At the top of the page, click Profile.

Back
Top Bottom