Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsy Nana

Any suggestions on if I need to look for anything special when replacing tires on our suv we will be pulling camper behind? Newbie/dummy on pulling anything!!!

It is often best to use LT (light truck) tires when towing.  It would be good if you would post the make and models of the SUV and the trailer, so we can understand your needs.

We have a 05 Dodge Durango and all I remember on camper is it?s a 1978 and I believe it?s 24 feet long. We always put all season light truck/suv tires on Durango, hope that helps some. It?s at a friend?s house so I can?t run out and get you better info, sorry!

Your Hemi is a 5.7L V8 which has should have plenty of power for towing. Some of that model have a factory "towing package." However, even without the towing package, it comes stock with both a transmission and oil cooler and a stout towing hitch receiver which are very important for towing. If it doesn't have the towing package, you might consider replacing the rear shocks with load leveling shocks and the fronts with stronger shocks. That's what I'm doing with my 2004 Durango. I also purchased light truck tires for it. Wow! What a difference in ride with the new tires.

For tires on the Durango, get an LT type of the size recommended by Chrysler for that vehicle (factory size is on a placard on the driver door post). All-season tread is fine.

The thing about Light Truck tires is that the same size can often come in different Load Ranges - Load Range C, Load Range D, Load Range E, etc.  The higher the load range, the more weight each tire is capable of carrying.

Was I you, I'd load your Durango up exactly how I plan to travel with it, all the passengers, all the luggage you plan to carry in it, a full tank of gas and take it to a scale and get it weighed.  You can find CAT scales using this web page:

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

Now, to that weight, remember that you need to add 10 to 15 percent of your fully loaded trailer weight (the Tongue Weight) plus about 50 to 100 lbs for the trailer hitch.

Now that you have the ACTUAL, Gross Vehicle Weight that you need to deal with, go to your current tire manufacturer's web site and find exactly how much weight your current tires are capable of carrying.  Since you have an SUV, I'm gonna guess you've got Load Range C's on it now, and they MAY turn out to be fine.  Or you may decide you need to buy rear tires with a higher Load Range.

Durango does have towing package, hubby and our son have both towed the camper with the Durango and say it pulls beautifully. Love the idea of getting it weighed! You have all been very helpful! Hubby and son will take me out several times for test drives towing the camper before they turn me lose with it, but I have every intention of learning how to tow it on my own! Hopefully this ol dog can still learn a few tricks lol.

The factory tire placard should identify the load range as part of the size info, typically with letters such as LRE (Load Range E).  The factory spec tire will be sufficient for the vehicle GVWR (per federal law).

Back
Top Bottom