Need help choosing TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unable to determine as I cannot find a GROSS weight listed for the unit.
IN addition I do not know how much "stuff" you intend to put in or on the tow vehicle.
Need approx weight of all passengers, and cargo in tow vehicle. Cargo would be things like tool boxes, bundles of wood, animals maybea barbeque grill etc. Without that no one can give you accurate information.

There are at least three factors to consider
A) Payload capacity
B) Gross combined vehicle weight rating
C) tow capacity.
Most vehicles run out of payload capacity before any other limit is reached, So we need the weight of items mentioned above (or good estimate) before we can help

darsben said:
Unable to determine as I cannot find a weight listed for the unit.
IN addition I do not know how much "stuff" you intend to put in or on the tow vehicle.
Need approx weight of all passengers, and cargo in tow vehicle. Cargo would be things like tool boxes, bundles of wood, animals maybea barbeque grill etc. Without that no one can give you accurate information.

Ooops, sorry about that darsben. Here are the specs I found for it online. it will only be myself and DW, 300 lbs between us, small grill, one cooler, and the usual food and drinks, I would say maybe another 600 to 700 lbs of stuff. let me know if you need anything else. we are looking for a new truck and trying to stay under 45K if possible, thanks!

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)  11500
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)  1605
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs)  13000
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs)  1500

A one ton will put you at the very limit of payload
2000 minus the hitch weight of 1605 leaves you only 395 pounds of payload capacity
SO I would look at a higher payload capacity truck BUT I repeat BUT  if you towing will be limited and you do not intend to travel much it might be okay. So now what are your intentions with the rig? Point a to point b for the winter or on the move seeing the country
However should you ever want to go to a bigger unit or a fifth wheel you would then be buying another truck.

darsben said:
A one ton will put you at the very limit of payload
2000 minus the hitch weight of 1605 leaves you only 395 pounds of payload capacity
SO I would look at a higher payload capacity truck BUT I repeat BUT  if you towing will be limited and you do not intend to travel much it might be okay. So now what are your intentions with the rig? Point a to point b for the winter or on the move seeing the country
However should you ever want to go to a bigger unit or a fifth wheel you would then be buying another truck.

I thought a one ton truck had way higher payload capacity than 2000? now im really confused, what do you call a 1 ton darsben? I though that was along the line of an F350, maybe I was wrong?
Gracias hermano!

NAVYCWO said:
I thought a one ton truck had way higher payload capacity than 2000? now im really confused, what do you call a 1 ton darsben? I though that was along the line of an F350, maybe I was wrong?
Gracias hermano!

There?s 1 ton trucks that can handle that load. You just have to do some research. I had a 1998 3/4 ton Dodge with a payload of 3900 lbs. Not sure if you?ll get it for under $45k. Some folks on here think you have to have a Peterbuilt to pull a pop up.

Oldgator73 said:
There?s 1 ton trucks that can handle that load. You just have to do some research. Not sure if you?ll get it for under $45k. Some folks on here think you have to have a Peterbuilt to pull a pop up.

LOL that's funny oldgator! Either way, its starting to look like we might have to look for a trailer that's a bit smaller from what everyone is saying. I really thought that it would be a lot easier with a trailer than a FW.

??? This a tt, not a fifth wheel. You are only looking at  hitch weight of 1300 lb fully loaded, an F-250/2500 will easily handle that Lots of guys will pull it with a F-150 but I don't suggest trying that.

A  F 150 has a payload of between about 1900 to 3000 pound depending on options .  A regular cab Ford F-250 in the 4x2 category has a maximum payload of between 3500 pounds and 4000 pounds more or less depending on the accessories package.
The sticker near the drivers door will tell you the payload capacity of whatever vehicle you look at.

Primo porque no tengo familia

The PAYLOAD for any truck model varies widely depending on the truck GVWR and the weight of the truck.

? ton truck payloads will vary from 3,000# for a PROPERLY EQUIPPED F150, reg cab long bed XL trim to 1200# for a FULLY loaded crew cab.  Typical payload is around 1500# for nicely equipped.
? Ton nicely equipped will have a payload around 2500#.  Less equipment, higher payload.
1 Ton nicely equipped will have a payload around 3500#.

The REAL way to find out is open the driver door.  You will find a yellow banner placard on the latch post which will say the maximum weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX lbs.  This is the Payload for THAT truck as it left the factory. 

You need high enough payload to carry the hitch wt of 1600# (12% of 13,000#) PLUS 80# for a WD hitch PLUS the weight of all passengers, pets, firewood, tools, car seats, snacks and any other cargo you will carry in the truck.  Add this up, then go shopping.  Check EVERY truck you like.  If payload is too low, close the door and keep looking.

A ? ton should take good care of you.  HOWEVER, a 1 Ton SRW truck is less than $1000 more new for a similarly equipped truck, and you get an extra 1000#+ payload.  Physical dimensions of the truck and available options are virtually identical.

Roy M said:
??? This a tt, not a fifth wheel. You are only looking at  hitch weight of 1300 lb fully loaded, an F-250/2500 will easily handle that Lots of guys will pull it with a F-150 but I don't suggest trying that.

I like the sound of that, the F250 is much easier on the bank account than the F350! thanks Roy!

darsben said:
A  F 150 has a payload of between about 1900 to 3000 pound depending on options .  A regular cab Ford F-250 in the 4x2 category has a maximum payload of between 3500 pounds and 4000 pounds more or less depending on the accessories package.
The sticker near the drivers door will tell you the payload capacity of whatever vehicle you look at.

Primo porque no tengo familia

AH Dale primo, gracias again! I think Im getting a better picture of the whole thing now!

Just read all of the new posts while I typed.

It IS much easier with a TT.  You are looking at a fairly heavy TT.  For a FW, a 1 ton is a MUST.  The question becomes SRW or dually.

A TT places about 10% - 12% of its weight on the truck, consuming payload.  A FW places 20% or more of its weight on the truck.  And the hitches are much heavier, too!

grashley said:
The PAYLOAD for any truck model varies widely depending on the truck GVWR and the weight of the truck.

? ton truck payloads will vary from 3,000# for a PROPERLY EQUIPPED F150, reg cab long bed XL trim to 1200# for a FULLY loaded crew cab.  Typical payload is around 1500# for nicely equipped.
? Ton nicely equipped will have a payload around 2500#.  Less equipment, higher payload.
1 Ton nicely equipped will have a payload around 3500#.

The REAL way to find out is open the driver door.  You will find a yellow banner placard on the latch post which will say the maximum weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX lbs.  This is the Payload for THAT truck as it left the factory. 

You need high enough payload to carry the hitch wt of 1600# (12% of 13,000#) PLUS 80# for a WD hitch PLUS the weight of all passengers, pets, firewood, tools, car seats, snacks and any other cargo you will carry in the truck.  Add this up, then go shopping.  Check EVERY truck you like.  If payload is too low, close the door and keep looking.

A ? ton should take good care of you.  HOWEVER, a 1 Ton SRW truck is less than $1000 more new for a similarly equipped truck, and you get an extra 1000#+ payload.  Physical dimensions of the truck and available options are virtually identical.
Thanks for your help grashley! That's the plan to go out and look first, so we wanted to get an idea at what our starting point would be, hence why we haven't bought neither the trailer nor the truck. Doing some research though, I have yet to find that F350 that is only $1000 more than the F250. for the looks of it, yes the reg cab starting MSRP's for both are very close to each other but once you start talking towing packages and the sort, the prices vary widely!

Literature states dry hitch (assuming tongue) weight at 1605 lbs! Heavy tongue, even heavier when loaded for travel.  3/4 ton territory minimum.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2018-jay-flight-bungalow/40loft/

Hammster said:
Literature states dry hitch (assuming tongue) weight at 1605 lbs! Heavy tongue, even heavier when loaded for travel.  3/4 ton territory minimum.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2018-jay-flight-bungalow/40loft/

Thanks Hammster, that's what im gathering so far, those F250's are actually really nice looking trucks! never even considered a ford before, I drive a Tacoma now, and the DW drives the armada, so we have been mostly import drivers for the better of the last 20 years or so!

steveblonde said:
Its a park model not a travel trailer - hire a towing company to take it to your spot and leave it there, its not suppossed to go anywhere more than once

Oh wow Thanks Steve! I did not see that one coming, guess we are gonna have to do some more research.

Actually, the loaded tongue weight will probably go down rather tan up. It's a matter of balance as well as gross weight.  It's like a teeter-totter: with cargo or water added behind the trailer axles, the tongue gets lighter rather than heavier. Forward of the axles, the opposite.  A 3/4 ton (F250/2500 class) is the right answer, though.

Its a park model not a travel trailer - hire a towing company to take it to your spot and leave it there, its not suppossed to go anywhere more than once
Technically, it's a destination trailer rather than a park model, but still designed with limited travel in mind.  A couple trips a year is typical, e.g. back & forth to a seasonal site.  It is towable, but I would not choose it for weekend trips.  Your other post indicates this will be a movable family home rather than a weekend getaway, so a Destination Trailer may well suit your needs.

Assuming your duty station doesn't change all that often, I would also consider having it professionally moved rather than buying a truck of your own.  It's not cheap, but compared to buying and maintaining a large pick-up that you really need only once in awhile, it may turn out to be a bargain.  Of course, if you want a truck anyway...

Transport costs vary from around $1.50/mile to $3.50/mile  (longer moves usually brings the per mile cost down). If you paid $2500-$3000 for a 1000-mile move, that's small compared to a nicely equipped F250 diesel.
https://www.uship.com/transport-rv/

Back
Top Bottom