Boonedocking: undercarriage damage from traveling dirt roads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G-Dawg

I am shopping 5th Wheel Toyhaulers and notice most the rigs have a lot of sewage and landing gear hanging low that could potentially be damaged by bumps or dips (or ?) while traveling dirt roads searching for that prime Boondock site.

Are there any particular rigs out there that have these items tucked up tighter under the rig? Particularly, some of the most prevalent 6-point landing gear that are permanently mounted vertically. Even a significant dip in a gutter while entering a driveway could potentially damage the front leveler legs.

Has anyone had this experience, or know of anyone who has?

Thx for the input.

I have no suggestions other than to say you are right and check carefully before buying. 5W typically have more ground clearance than travel trailers, but still are designed for offroad travel.  For most, though, the axles are going to be as low as anything else.

Jayco advertises they have trailers for off-road enthusiasts, but that's advertising. See https://www.jayco.com/about/news/jayco-rvs-cater-to-off-road-enthusiasts/

I agree with OBX. I have a 2016 Creekside bunkhouse made by Outdoors RV and I've had it off the beaten path a few times with no trouble. It is built to be taken off-road and all that plumbing is protected by the sealed undercarriage. Of course, if I were to try hard enough, I'm sure I could damage  something.  :)

I know trailers that are "four season" would prolly have more of the dangly bits tucked up. My Nash 25C TT brags an "off road package but it just means slightly better suspension, a bit more aggressive treads, and 3 steps to climb instead of 2.

If your a serious boondocker then here's some tips.

Don't get auto levelling
Dont get electric stabilizers

Replace the under carrage with diamond plating instead of the corrugated plastic crap they use. This will prevent rocks from chewing threw it over time as well as the dust will break down the tape they use between pieces

Get manual stabilizer jacks that are removable by using these https://www.amazon.com/SAVEAJACK-scissor-jack-quick-release/dp/B005CJOR1M
For your drains this is very unit dependent. On my old 5th wheel the valves were all up above the frame of the trailer so i cut off the part that was below and made it so i could screw and unscrew the connector on it. So when we were travelling it wasnt hanging down.

Also you can get axeless wheels for the trailer http://timbren.com/axle-less/

Also on the back end you can add skid plates that will break through the dirt before hitting the frame hard.

Diamond plate the front and sides of the trailer to prevent rocks from breaking the fiberglass and causing issue down the road

The potholes on I-10 and I-5 in CA did more damage on one trip at freeway speed than years of careful slow driving on rocky roads did. My axles are flipped to I have high ground clearance. I never had any bottom damage until I broke spring hangers on the CA freeways. Going slow over bad roads causes less damage than unexpected obstacle on the freeway, be it a pothole, tread from a blow out, or 2x4/gravel falling off the truck ahead.

The point is: It all can be fixed and is mostly unavoidable until it is to late.  Even my tank use to have under carriage problems. Pesky land mines.....

Sorry, I'm not familiar with 5er's, but...

Having towed travel trailers a bunch on unpaved forest service roads I would recommend the best tires you can afford.  I've had several flats.  Think shredded tires dragged a few miles at 10-15 mph until the dust allowed me to see damage.  The latest resulted in broken spring shackes.

Shortly after buying our new Coleman last spring my local tire shop gave me a reasonable trade for the original load range C chinese cheapies.  Replaced with load range E Goodyear Endurance.  So far, so good.  I also will install, come warmer weather, a TPMS.  A "must have', IMHO, boondocking or interstate.

We've towed 3 different trailers on lots of unpaved roads since 1996.  Never any damage to undersides, but we carry a long-handled tree pruner and never leave home without the chain saw.  Never know when a little wind will put a deadfall across a forest service road and overhanging tree branches have taken their toll  ;)

Most of my camping if on forrest roads as well.  Love it!  And ditto on the chainsaw (haven't had to use it to get home, but sure handy for firewood) and the long pole tree trimming saw.  Watch up as much (or even more) than down - - my rig is high at 13'6". 

Outdoor RV and Northwood "claim" off-road frame/chassis.  I do think they are a bit heavier duty some other but...really?  Except for navigating across the meadow to the parking spot I'm not going "off-road" with my camper!

-Kyle

I like the way you think there schwyl. I laugh when the manufacturers try to make a big deal about their plastic belly pans. I'm all about keeping weight to a minimum, so even though it's not as tough, I'll go with aluminum. I also like the idea of a plated frame bottom being able to function as a kind of torsion box (assuming the top of the deck is reasonably solid and well attached). I'm building from scratch, so anything's possible.

I was wondering though, do you know of anybody who uses the Timbren Dakota Air suspension? Haven't spoken to them about it yet, or anyone who owns one, but it sounds intriguing since it was developed for a smooth ride and with height adjustability for hauling horses. Looks like it could provide some pretty good ground clearance by flipping the axle mounting, and then I'm guessing the air could be dialed up to raise the bottom deck height when you get into deep rutted and high crown stuff. My goal is full-time boondocking, so I need something that will get me there and back, and I haven't seen anything commercially available that would give me any sort of comfort to do that. Heck, most of them sound like they're gonna come apart just clearing a driveway apron.

Also, love the ideas for trail proofing the levelers. As for chainsaws, love my old commercial Stihls, but I think I'll be adding their new battery powered chainsaw and pole pruner to the rig. I plan of carrying a solar array on the roof, so tree limb banishment will no doubt be a must, and it's always better when you can do it without making any noise. Plus I don't wanna haul around gas and oil, chain lube is enough.

richclover said:
Having towed travel trailers a bunch on unpaved forest service roads I would recommend the best tires you can afford.  I've had several flats.  Think shredded tires dragged a few miles at 10-15 mph until the dust allowed me to see damage.  The latest resulted in broken spring shackes.

A decent TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would have prevented that damage. I think it would be the 1st thing I would invest in where you'll be boondocking out in the middle of nowhere and driving over sharp obstacles.

Rene T said:
A decent TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would have prevented that damage. I think it would be the 1st thing I would invest in where you'll be boondocking out in the middle of nowhere and driving over sharp obstacles.

Agreed. Exactly why I have one on the shelf ready to install...  as soon as the spring thaw will allow!

Given the relatively low cost it?s a great item to have for interstate travel, too. 

The only road I've ever been on that seriously concerned me undercarraige wise (my car has very little ground clearance) was  A state campground in SC.. (Lake Hartwell off SR-11) I hope they re-paved this summer.  I may have to spend some time there if the other park I stay at fills.

Sorry Roark I didn't see the notification for this thread.

I camp with a few guys who have them. There installed on smaller 5th wheels around 28ft but they seem to work well. Major clearance is provided by them on the logging roads since there's no axles in between the wheels to get caught up on the heaves.

Yeah these manufacturers just build pavement princesses.

We only camp on crown land so I do spend some time bush proofing the unit. I have a new one on the way so I will have to do it all over again lol.

Back
Top Bottom