7way hookup cord?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoGeo

Hello everyone!
Picked up an older 5th wheel and found that hooking up the cord didn't work. At least I think it is the cord. it is an  87 Lynx Prowler. Pretty sure the cord is called a 7way, yes?

Also, the landing gear is very different than I am used to, being a crank. Any suggestion for lubing it?  And the rear jacks which are terribly rusted but still, barely working (can't replace those right now).

Thank you for such a great forum!!

Hi NekoGeo, welcome to The RV Forum!

Yes, it's a Bargman 7 way connector, with 7 wires going to the trailer.  Here's a diagram of the connections:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-252629.html

What's not working on it?

Check inside the connector first, look into the end of the connector and make sure there's two flat contacts in each hole.  Then open the connector and make sure all of the wires are securely connected.  The other end of the 7 conductor cable goes to a junction box either on the trailer tongue or underneath the trailer where the conductors fanned out to the individual circuits.

Lights are grounded via the trailer frame, a loose ground can cause several mysterious lighting problems.

For the front and rear jacks, use a wire brush to knock any loose dirt off of exposed screw threads, then try spraying the joints and screw mechanism generously with penetrating oil and work them in and out a few times to loosen things up.  PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench are a couple of good ones.  Once the jacks have loosened up, apply a Teflon dry lube to the moving parts to keep things loose while not attracting more dirt.  Again, Blaster Dry Lube is one example of a dry lube aerosol, there are several similar brands.

Thank you for the info! Brakes and all lights don't work. I'm posting a picture of the 7way which seems to have a patina coloring.

Attachments

• cord.jpg
    cord.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 44
Patina indeed. That's what I call corrosion  You need to clean that mess up.  Start with electrical contact cleaner and wire brush. You may need to replace that plug as it could very well be the source of your electrical problems.

ChasA said:
Patina indeed. That's what I call corrosion  You need to clean that mess up.  Start with electrical contact cleaner and wire brush. You may need to replace that plug as it could very well be the source of your electrical problems.

Agree except replace the cord also. That way there's a chance the new plug will be molded to the wire keeping it water tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Black-Plug-Inline-Trailer/dp/B004D29DD6

Agree with Rene!  Replace the plug and cord as a great place to start!

For the Landing gear, go to YouTube and search landing gear lube.  While these will talk about electric gear, yours is the same except for the power source.  I lifted my FW up as high as I could and blocked the frame.  I removed the drop legs.  Inside is a long screw which lifts and lowers the legs.  Get a 3 ft length of 1 ? inch pipe.  Cut in half lengthwise.  Smear bearing grease or similar product into the open pipe, then run it up inside the screw and turn it around the screw a few times to transfer the grease.  Repeat on the other leg.  If possible, also lube the top gears on the legs and the gearbox.

For the rear gear, very good advise above.

Great info! Thanks to everyone :) 
On the cord, what length do you recommend?

NekoGeo said:
Great info! Thanks to everyone :) 
On the cord, what length do you recommend?

Is the one you have now long enough? Use that as your sample. We can't tell you what length you'll need. It all depends on your camper and where you'll be plugging into. On mine, my receptacle is in the rear bumper. Others have one inside the bed above the wheel well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom