Roof Repair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
I have a question that I probably know the answer to:
I bought a spray can of the famous Flex Seal to repair the coolant reservoir. Somehow the plastic reservoir cracked perhaps by a kicked up rock.
As I was reading and applying to the reservoir I was wondering...can this be used on the roof for minor repairs? Or will the chemicals cause more harm than good?
Thanks
Jim

I am not impressed with flex seal. The rain gutters on our house were leaking so I applied Flex seal. The gutters still leak after a good coating of flex seal. Did not work for me. Others have reported the same.

Bill

Yeah, it seems like a lot of hype to me. I have never seen anything that would stop water streaming from a bucket.
And anyone who would drive a boat that had been sawn in half and joined with tape is dumber than a box of rocks.
I have two coats so far on the coolant expansion tank and will put a third on only because my bus is so old and I can't get parts until I get to an RV graveyard.

Funny, as part of that whole oil cooler debacle I found I needed the radiator surge tank(it's a surge tank, that's under pressure, not just an overflow jug)also.  The Ford dealer in Lordsburg, NM was able to order me one and receive it early the next morning. 
They were rather proud of it, however.

Sounds like you got lucky.
There is a boneyard in Phoenix Arizona I hope to visit soon.
Hopefully they will have one along with a few other assorted parts I could use.

Are you talking about the one on 51st Ave?  We're on Mt Lemmon, near Tucson right now.  When this job ends at the end of Oct we're heading to Death Valley.  I plan on stopping at that place when we go through Phoenix. 
The previous owner of this coach took the double door fridge out of the coach and installed a new 8 cu ft model.  They made a broom closet out of the extra space.  I noticed while looking at pictures on the PPL site that in the coaches with the small fridge, Bounder puts a pantry there.  I'm mainly looking for the cabinet door that would be used for that pantry to hide my brooms and such(as well as keep them restrained while traveling).

Don't know about that one.
The address I have is: Arizona RV Salvage, 2600 7th Avenue, Phoenix AZ (877-824-8242)
I have not called them yet as we are still in Las Vegas and my print out is from 1/24/2018 so I can't comment on them.
They say they have a website, Arizona RV Salvage. I haven't looked that up yet...been a bit busy.

Sounds like we are fairly close to each other. We have been talking about Death Valley as a possible destination. We are thinking about going to Sequoia National Park after we leave Vegas. Possibly Death Valley after that.

Our Bounder 36S came with a washer/dryer and the double door fridge/freezer.
Is your configuration different?

I've got the combo washer, and it had the 2 door side by side fridge when new.  The PO had that one fail and he replaced it with the standard Dometic 8 cu ft over/under unit.  According to the brochure, the side by side was an optional upgrade, so I'm looking for a Bounder of similar vintage that doesn't have the upgrade.  Those ones show a pantry next to the fridge in the brochures.  My hope is to find a pantry door that matches the rest of the cabinets.
All the ones I went into at Colaw in Missouri had the side by side fridge.  Hope this place has a better selection.

BTW, I think we're talking about the same salvage yard.  They list a different address on the web site, but they list the phone number you have.  I'll call 'em when I get to Phoenix and see where they're really at.

I am surprised no one else has commented on using Flex-Seal on the roof of an RV.
Anyone have pros or cons on using this to seal a couple of problem areas until I can get the roof redone?

mudshark said:
I am surprised no one else has commented on using Flex-Seal on the roof of an RV.
Anyone have pros or cons on using this to seal a couple of problem areas until I can get the roof redone?

If there is the smallest amount of moisture present under the Flexseal on a hot day the water will  cause the flexseal to bubble. I had to remove it all.

Why use something that's unproven and guestionable when there are products specifically designed for the job and work well? Everything I have read about flex seal indicates that the best thing about it is the marketing.

I have a section of roof where the top layer is beginning to peel. The roof doesn't leak and will have to be replaced sometime down the road. I have tried to repair these spots with Dicor but it just causes more peeling as I try to spread it. I thought a spray product would seal and stop the peeling until the day I have the roof replaced.

I have used the product, Eterna Bond tape for sealing joints and covering caulking on our motorhome roof. It worked really well, never had to caulk the seams again. Perhaps it would work for your needs. Just have to type it in on your computer and it will show up.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom