Do I have the right battery.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
In have a 2011 Montana High country 5th wheel with 4 slides. All the slides are operated by electric motors and steel cables. 3 1/2 years ago (spring of 2015), I had to purchase a new battery while visiting relatives. The old battery just died. I have no idea what that new battery was. I went to a battery store to have them check my old battery and they said it was no good and sold me a replacement.

This past winter, a friend of mine at the CG sold his RV and purchased another one. The battery in RV he sold was brand new and installed by a mobile repair guy.  The date sticker said 7/17. So I took my 3 year old battery out and swapped with his.

The label on his says it's a:
DURACELL Marine & RV Starting & Cycling Technology.
24 DC
MCA 685
CCA 550
Amperage Mins @ 32 Amp draw 140
It's just like this one except mine doesn't have the words DEEP CYCLE TECHNOLOGY. : 
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-marine-battery-group-size-24dcc/prod3590221.ip

I just check the output of my converter by disconnecting the ground wire and reading the voltage between that wire and the positive wire. I was getting 13.2 Volts. I then check the battery and it was reading 13.16 Volts. I'm letting it sit for a couple of hours and I'll check it again and get back to you. This fairly new battery is a wet cell and the cells were full.

My problem is that it seems like this battery just doesn't have the OOMF (if that's a word)  :eek: my old battery had. The slides, especially my big L/R slide, runs real slow. The slide with the fridge, I have to manually help it along to open and close. The other 2 slides which are much smaller, work OK.
Do I have the right battery for my needs. I checked Gary's write up on batteries but not being electrical savvy, I only got confused. Do I need a true deep cycle battery or can I get one with more OOMF? 

You have a Group 24 (about 70-75 amp hours) MARINE/deep cycle. these are often sold for trailers.

I do not recommend this type of battery. but.. if you can not fit two of 'em.. Well that's it folks

What i recommend is a pair of GC-2 (GOLF CAR takes 2 to make 12 volts is one way to remember that) Six volt in SERIES to make 12 volts at around 220 amp hours.. These are TRUE deep cycle so you wind up wiht about 5 times the usable battery for 2x the price. they are a bit TALLER than a goup 24 however.

But .. if it is working.. I'd not repalce it.. Wait till it stopps working then Upgrade.

Thanks John. I don't have the room for two 6 volt batteries. I do have room in my battery box for a group 27 battery. Will that make a difference with the speed of the slide?

You did not say in your post if the trailer was plugged into shore power when opening/closing slides. In my experience the slides work faster if I am plugged into shore power..or have the genset running. If neither of those I start the engine. Seems to give the batterys that extra shot of power.

Group 27 is a bit bigger battery, so yes, it will have a BIT more oomph.

I have a Group 27, and it handles my slides, but I try to always connect shore power before opening slides and disconnect shore power after they are in.  The way, the converter carries some of the load.  Obviously, we do not boon dock.

Do the slides need lube to reduce friction / drag going on and out?  That will lighten the load as well.

John posted while I typed!

Three years of life is about what you can expect from that type of battery, and Group 24 isn't a large size.  A 27 has about 40% more amp hours of capacity, so the voltage won't fall quite as fast when the heavy load (the slide motor) comes on.  At the end of the day, though, it's still a 12v battery, whether size 24 or size 27, and 12v only pushes a motor so fast.

My RVForum Library article on choosing an RV Battery explains the difference among various battery types. It's aimed towards laymen and doesn't go into great depth, but gives a view of the major lead acid battery types and how the rationale for one vs another.
Choosing an RV battery

john owens said:
You did not say in your post if the trailer was plugged into shore power when opening/closing slides. In my experience the slides work faster if I am plugged into shore power..or have the genset running. If neither of those I start the engine. Seems to give the batterys that extra shot of power.

Yes it is plugged in. That's how I checked the output of the converter.

Though newer, if the battery had been abused by excessively deep discharging, your old battery may have been in better shape than the one you have.

I just took a reading on my battery after sitting all night disconnected. It read 12.98 volts so I guess it must be OK and I guess, replacing it with a new one would be a waste of $$$. Like Gary said, I could change it to a group 27 and it would last longer before the motors would start to slow down but I don't think it will be worth it.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'm surprised that a large & well-equipped Montana has space for only a single battery. Most larger 5W can handle at least two.

I'd have the room but I don't want the extra weight.
Besides, I fixed it. The bedroom slide was never a problem. It runs on 3 Teflon rollers and are exposed from outside and easy to lubricate.  The other 3 slides are built that way. I used a bottle jack and was able to lift my L/R slide about a 1/2" to see what was under there. I could just barely see a piece of hard plastic fastened to the floor of the RV and looked like it ran the entire length of the slide. I ended up by taking a spray lubricant and spraying the bottom of the slide close to the RV. I then ran the slide in and out a couple of time to see if the lubricant would transfer to the plastic strip and it did. The slide runs so much faster now.  It was just a matter that the plastic was dry and created allot of friction. So much happier.  Thanks everyone.

Anyone with a Montana and having slides that run real slow, this will fix it.

> have a 2011 Montana High country 5th wheel with 4 slides. <

All that, and you don`t want the weight of one more battery? What percentage of the total weight would one more battery be?

Rene,

I have noticed with my slide (huge one) that it works better and faster if I crack open a vent, window, or door to let in/out air.  Now when I move the slide I open the vent in the living room first.  Now the slide moves easier, and the vent fan spins pretty good with it off.  I was creating a vacuum (opening) or pressure (closing) inside the RV.  The air took time to find its not in or out thru whatever areas are not air tight.

A side note for others.  I do slide seal maintenance (seal conditioner), semi annually.

Frank B said:
> have a 2011 Montana High country 5th wheel with 4 slides. <

All that, and you don`t want the weight of one more battery? What percentage of the total weight would one more battery be?

We live full time in our RV for 6 months every winter so yes, an extra battery would add to the issue of over packing. I wish I could take my table saw, drill press, router,  all my other tools and everything my DW would want in case she needed it but we have to draw the line someplace.  And besides, I did say they are working fine now after lubricating them.

Bobtop46 said:
Rene,

I have noticed with my slide (huge one) that it works better and faster if I crack open a vent, window, or door to let in/out air.  Now when I move the slide I open the vent in the living room first.  Now the slide moves easier, and the vent fan spins pretty good with it off.  I was creating a vacuum (opening) or pressure (closing) inside the RV.  The air took time to find its not in or out thru whatever areas are not air tight.

A side note for others.  I do slide seal maintenance (seal conditioner), semi annually.

Thanks Bob for the idea but usually the door is partway open and also usually, both of our vents are open.

Rene:

> I wish I could take my table saw, drill press, router,  all my other tools and everything my DW would want in case she needed it but we have to draw the line someplace.<

Got it! ;D

Yeah, I'm glad for the high CCC on our unit. Seems one always 'needs' something else.

Back
Top Bottom