Has anyone replaced their propane tank in their Class A?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTM

When is it time to replace a propane tank....the paint is chipping off and has a nice coating of rust...I have a picture on my phone and do not know how to post it here, but I would be happy to text it to anyone who has any suggestions for me....thanks so much!

What I did was cleaned tank the best I could, then applied a good rust converter two coats, then painted. Two or three coats. Tank still looked good 10-12 years later when sold motorhome. In fact, the buyer asked if I had replaced tank recently.

If you are worried of damage to the tank, you can ask one of the propane bulk fill places if they would inspect it.  it would half to be pretty rough to be a concern.

I replaced the propane tank on my 2003 HR Admiral earlier this year.  The replacement went smoothly, the challenge was finding the correct tank to replace the old one.

I chose to replace the tank for a few reasons.  The bottom was really rusted, the valve had a very slow leak, and it was past the re-certification date.  I was having trouble finding someone locally who would repair the valve and re-certify it.

Removal and installation was pretty easy, but it took a while to track down the correct specs for the replacement tank.  We are now experts at repackaging and shipping an incorrect tank back to the supplier.  :)

racerdad50 said:
I chose to replace the tank for a few reasons.  The bottom was really rusted, the valve had a very slow leak, and it was past the re-certification date.  I was having trouble finding someone locally who would repair the valve and re-certify it.

Removal and installation was pretty easy, but it took a while to track down the correct specs for the replacement tank.  We are now experts at repackaging and shipping an incorrect tank back to the supplier.  :)

I didn't think that built in tanks have to be re-certified. I thought they were exempt.

Hammerite spray or brushable paint is what you need. Follow instruction for maximum protection of rusted metal items.

cleaned and painted my Southwind tank a number of years ago, still looks good, never a problem in getting filled.  Now if it were leaking, then yes, swap it out.

Rene T said:
I didn't think that built in tanks have to be re-certified. I thought they were exempt.

I understand Canada does require re-certification of ASME tanks, although the interval varies by province. Nowhere in the US are ASME tanks required to be re-certified.

racerdad50 said " We are now experts at repackaging and shipping an incorrect tank back to the supplier."

I too am skilled in a wide variety of things I never had any interest in nor do I want to use those skills again!!!

Back
Top Bottom