Replacing 3 " Waste value on 20004 Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grooving grandpa

One Drain. Grey water value on rt side of drain and black water on left.. Also appears there is an approx 1/2 inch rubber sleeve on each side of the values held in place by two metal straps. Need to replace 3" waste value. I have small fingers so should be able to put in place rubber O rings held in place by vaseline. Option 1 removing the  4 bolts, am I able to pull out old value and install new valve More Vaseline) without loosening the clamps and sliding the rubber sleeve. If I do have too go Option 2 loosening clamps. Do you suggest using a heat gun to soften, expand the rubber sleeve.

Thanks, Lou

Without pics it is difficult to access your situation. First thou is your black tank EMPTY?? this is important. If so I believe you can remove the 4 bolts and slide out the old valve. Should be enough give for this to happen with out a heat gun. Good Luck!! wash up after your done! ;D

Why do you feel you need to replace the entire valve?  They sell the seals. The valve is probably OK.

Is this what you're talking about?  This one happens to be 1 1/2" but they also have them for the size of your pipe. There are no O Rings. It's a special gasket on each side of the valve. If you can't spring the pipe out enough to remove the valve, you may have to disconnect the rubber sleeve. Having that rubber connector will make it real easy to replace the valve. Loosen the 2 hose clamps, slide a screwdriver between the coupling and the pipe to break the seal. Slide it back then remove the pipe. Piece of cake. I would also replace the seals for the gray water valve at the same time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-DWV-Flexible-PVC-Coupling-P1056-150/100058870

Yes,, the holding tank is empty and flushed out. Still will wear rubber gloves. Rene, thanks for the picture of the rubber sleeve. Makes more sense to me now. Like u said a "piece of cake"  Didn't realize I could just replace the gaskets. However, Camping World has a special on line for 3" value for $10.86. The store said they would honor that also. I can hardly open and close the 3" value Feel more comfortable replacing the whole value. The 1 1/2" value opens and close very smoothly.

Thanks for all the good input again.

If you need to hold the gaskets in place for assembly, I suggest using a water soluble lube such as KY instead of a petroleum based grease like Vasoline that may damage the gasket material. Dish or liquid hand soap also works pretty well...

Keep the new valve wet so it continues to operate easily.  After you dump the tank, run a toilet bowl or two worth of water into the tank so the valve stays submerged.

The valve gets hard to open and close when the normal gunk that accumulates on the seals dries out and hardens.  Keeping the valve wet keeps the gunk soft and pliable so the valve works as it should.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom