Camping World & Warranty?s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homeskillet

Seems like I have read some warnings on here before about Camping World?  Would be curious what the danger would be, or what to look out for?  They seem easer to get financed through & claim that the advantage of buying through them is that you can take your RV to any location is the USA & they will work on your rig if you have problems (?).  Your thoughts?

Second, since we have never pulled an RV of any sort before - and we would be full-timing across the US - we would want the absolute best insurance and/or warranty available...that *REALLY* works in a very real-practical sense (not mere fluff and puff).

What insurance/warranty plans are there out there that are the real deal?  Good Sam, etc.?  Are there plans available that will, for example, *REALLY* winterize the RV, seal the roof, all-weather the underbelly for 4 seasons, etc.?

Though this will likely betray my gross ignorance to RV?ing, I want a plan that will fix any and every thing that can (and will) go wrong on the rig...down to a screw (I know absolutely nothing about how to work on these things) :eek:.

Thank you much!

The best answer I can give on good sam is go to their own forum, RV net, and read the posts there.

CW appears to be one of the more aggressive RV sales outfits, taking advantage of newcomers to RVing with high pressure tactics and attempting to fold in lots of expensive add-ons.  They aren't the only dealer like that, and probably not all CW sales people are the same, but caution is well-advised.  This video is instructive about what can happen, but be advised it is from a competitor who obviously has his own interests at heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wrsMU7WMuQ

Yes, the multiple CW locations can be a warranty advantage if you travel widely - your factory warranty is good at any of them. But for extended warranties, you have access to any RV shop anywhere, so CW is just one of many.

You will see numerous negative reviews about CW service in general, but again, near all RV dealer service gets negative reviews on timeliness, quality, and cost.  CW is a big, multi-location operation, so not surprising you see a higher volume of reports on them than others.
I don't tell people to avoid CW at all costs, but I do advise that they be very cautious, even skeptical, in dealing with them. Do NOT assume that they will do right by you simply because they are large and well-known. Caveat Emptor applies!

Homeskillet said:
Though this will likely betray my gross ignorance to RV?ing, I want a plan that will fix any and every thing that can (and will) go wrong on the rig...down to a screw (I know absolutely nothing about how to work on these things) :eek:.

RV's need much maintenance and repairs.  You need to be able to do much of it yourself or you will find the experience will be bad.  To expect a "plan" will come out and fix every screw, do it correctly and in a timely fashion is a pipe dream.

RV extended warranties are not warranties at all - they are limited repair insurance policies.  They are vastly over-hyped by sales people because the selling dealer and agent get a large commission.  The policies are real enough and they work, but few buyers are happy with them because they failed to read and understand the coverage and the procedures that apply.  The insurers claims adjusters enforce the letter of the policy contract rigorously and often interpret the restrictions & exceptions in creative ways that few owners ever anticipate.

Financially, the price you pay for an extended warranty is typically way more than the value received.  It's the nature of insurance that everybody pays premiums but only some receive reimbursement, but the huge commissions paid to the seller cuts deeply into the benefits. So does claims administration.  You are usually better off banking the money and paying your own repairs, but there is always the possibility of a large expense that would make insurance worthwhile. RV sales people would have you believe that expensive fridges and a/c units fail regularly, but it isn't so.  And many expensive things that do fail are not covered at all, e.g. roof leaks, upholstery fading or cracking, cabinetry, etc.  There is no such thing as a plan that will fix anything that goes wrong. Not even most anything.  They all exclude body & structure repairs, furnishings, upholstery, and more. And also any required maintenance - a part has to actually fail to be covered.

Please use SEARCH to find the many previous discussions and horror stories on this site. Search on 'extended warranty'.

An extended warranty is rarely justifiable for a towable RV - there simply are not enough potential high dollar repairs to make it worth while. Gas-chassis motorhomes are a maybe, but diesel RV have some very expensive parts that may make insurance worth considering.

If you decide to buy an extended warranty, buy through an agency that specializes in such things - prices will be well below RV dealers for the same coverages.  Wholesale warranties.com is one such, but Google will give you more choices.  I've bought two policies that way myself.

Homeskillet said:
What insurance/warranty plans are there out there that are the real deal?  Good Sam, etc.?  Are there plans available that will, for example, *REALLY* winterize the RV, seal the roof, all-weather the underbelly for 4 seasons, etc.?
Warranties/insurance do not cover this type of thing. It is considered general maintenance that you need to do yourself, or you can pay to have someone else do it for you. The exception is using the trailer in 4 seasons. That is actually dependent upon the design of the trailer and what you consider four seasons. If you are in, say, Dallas, you can get by with pretty minimal modifications (though that doesn?t mean ?no modifications?). If you are in Minot, ND only a very experienced RVer with numerous modifications can survive, and even they won?t be terribly comfortable. Notice I am assuming you mean to RV in the winter. If you just mean winterize the trailer for storage, there are well publicized procedures for doing that.

Wow - excellent input. 

Gary, I will definitely check out that YouTube link & warranty site.  Very enlightening posts.

I have some friends who full-time across the US, with 2 little children.  I realize I should (and I plan on) discussing much of this with them, but I wonder how other RV?ers manage in harsh winter climates?  I assume due to their experience & know-how.

Is there anything specific that I should look for in an RV that will help with seasonal weather conditions (e.g., roof, underbelly, etc.)?  I will also look for questions to ask when buying an RV (seems like I remember a thread on here about that?). 

I assume outfits like CW will show us how to use everything on the RV?  I have stayed in many of them so I am not completely ignorant to it, but I don?t even know how to hook one up  :-[.  For example, on the truck we just bought all I see is a square female end on the back bumper of the truck...and I think ?How on earth would a TT fit into that??

Now that I think about it, I should probably be posting on the newbie page.

Homeskillet said:
For example, on the truck we just bought all I see is a square female end on the back bumper of the truck...and I think ?How on earth would a TT fit into that??

Before you make a huge financial commitment to purchasing a Travel Trailer, I HIGHLY recommend that you rent one, even for a 3-5 day trip, and see if this is something you are up for.  Most that go full-timing, have a LOT of experience under their belt, or purchase a Class A and drive away.  RV lifestyle requires a bit of DIY skills.  Outfits like Camping World will show you the basics, show you how to sign on the dotted line, and show you the exit to their parking lot.

spencerpj said:
Before you make a huge financial commitment to purchasing a Travel Trailer, I HIGHLY recommend that you rent one, even for a 3-5 day trip, and see if this is something you are up for.  Most that go full-timing, have a LOT of experience under their belt, or purchase a Class A and drive away.  RV lifestyle requires a bit of DIY skills.  Outfits like Camping World will show you the basics, show you how to sign on the dotted line, and show you the exit to their parking lot.
  :))
Sit down and really talk with your friends. Ask them to show you how they hook up and unhook. Then look at a bunch of videos and forums. Only then go to a dealer, and be prepared for them to absolutely lie through their teeth. Most sales folks will tell you your half ton truck will pull any unit on the lot, even that 35? toyhauler over there. Nope. There is a sticker on your driver door with limits that you should post here. Then folks can tell you what your towing limits really are.

We had friends who came over twice to walk through our set up and tear down process with our trailer. They asked a lot of good questions, we volunteered information they hadn?t thought about, then they went and ran weight and price numbers. They ended up with a trailer they are very happy with, and we have gone camping with them a few times. They say the dealers they looked at were dreadful, and kept trying to push them into units that were inappropriate at best for their truck. Education is key.

I assume outfits like CW will show us how to use everything on the RV? 
Not really. You will get maybe 30 minutes of quick demonstration, called a "walk-thru".  You can ask questions and maybe get some additional time and info, but expect the person to be in a hurry to get on to his next chore.  If you don't insist, it will most likely be a case of "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am".  You might also think the person showing you around will be an expert, but that is often not the case.  Probably doesn't own or use an RV at all, and often passes on hearsay or garbled truths. Some of the "My dealer told me..." stories we see here are mind-boggling.

The sales people are often in the same category. Their expertise, if any, is in selling, not RVs.  Last week they may have been selling  flooring or maybe used cars, but now they work at CW and sell RVs. They look at the sales brochures and maybe get an hour briefing from an RV manufacturer rep on the wondrous capabilities of this or that model, but typically that's it. They pick up tidbits from other sales people and customers and glibly pass those on as advice.

Before you buy any RV, you need to know more about that RV than the dealer!!  Thankfully, that is easy to do!

Seriously, educate yourself - the salesman will not!!  There are a few PDI, or Pre Delivery Inspection checklists in the Library.  They are very worthwhile!!  You may think the manufacturer makes sure everything is working before they ship the unit.  WRONG!  You may then expect the dealer to inspect and fix any issues before putting the unit on the floor or before selling the unit.  WRONG!!  To protect yourself, do a THOROUGH inspection BEFORE accepting delivery, and demand everything you find wrong are fixed - and verify this - before taking delivery.  After delivery, they are in absolutely no hurry to fix anything.  The salesman will complain you are taking too long with the "unnecessary" inspection.  After all, warranty will fix any problems.  Just tell him to cool his heels.  If he wants the sale, you get to inspect YOUR way!

Thank you all.  I will check the library for the checklist.  It?s apparent that I still have a ton to learn before launching into this full-time.  And, yes, I do know how the salesmen are quick to get you out of their hair post-sale.  I am having that problem right now with the new truck.  I refused to bring my trade-in until they have the 5th wheel hitch ready to go in the truck bed (they are installing it).  I knew this would expedite the process quickly (which it did).

Here is the rig we are watching (or something very similar):  https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetails/new-fifth-wheel-rvs/2019-keystone-sprinter-limited-3550fwmls-rear-living-50k-EUG1574782

Incidentally, although too late now, I did not find out what kind of 5th wheel hitch they are installing in the truck bed (not that I would know the difference).  I just told them I wanted it ready to put the 5th wheel on & ready to roll before I pull off their parking lot.  Is there a particular kind I need, or anything to watch out for upon delivery?

It would be the end of the year before we bought a rig so I still have a few months to learn.  Stay tuned for more questions  :-[! 

rbrdriver said:
I assume you do have the truck for this rig, as in 1 ton dually...??. ???

I just bought the one ton turbo diesel, but it?s not a dually (they cost way more than the deal I received).  Do I need a dually to tow this rig?

Do I need a dually to tow this rig?
Maybe, it depends on the particular truck specs (its max payload) and the trailer weight specs. That trailer weighs 14,000 lbs loaded and will put about 2800-3000 lbs on the trailer hitch. Many, perhaps most, Single-Rear-Wheel (SRW) trucks cannot handle that much in addition to the weight of passengers, hitch & gear.

You need to look at the yellow placard on the driver door post to learn the max payload (cargo capacity) of your particular truck and go from there.  Chances are your max trailer weight will be lower than you may think.

Here is the rig we are watching (or something very similar):  https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetails/new-fifth-wheel-rvs/2019-keystone-sprinter-limited-3550fwmls-rear-living-50k-EUG1574782

OMG..this thing is HUGE! I'm newbie too still looking for my "Matilda". But I have learned a lot been in this forum...are you sure you want that big for your first TT?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Maybe, it depends on the particular truck specs (its max payload) and the trailer weight specs. That trailer weighs 14,000 lbs loaded and will put about 2800-3000 lbs on the trailer hitch. Many, perhaps most, Single-Rear-Wheel (SRW) trucks cannot handle that much in addition to the weight of passengers, hitch & gear.

You need to look at the yellow placard on the driver door post to learn the max payload (cargo capacity) of your particular truck and go from there.  Chances are your max trailer weight will be lower than you may think.

Will do Gary.  I will post the placard info. after I pick up the truck Thursday.  In the meantime, I?m not sure if this will help, but below is the towing paperwork info. that the dealer gave us for our particular truck (he said this is some of the same info. on the yellow placard):

2018 Super Duty 4X4; 6.7L.; 176? WB; 8? Box:  20,000 lbs.  (footnotes say that this is the Gooseneck tow rating.  5th wheel tow rating limited to 5th wheel hitch rating of 18,000 lbs.  17? tires).

Axle Ratio: 3.31
GCWR:  28,200lbs.

For a TT they have 18,000 lbs for max weight carrying & distributing.

Hitch receiver weight capacity: 

Weight-Carrying Max. Trailer Capacity:  18,000 lbs.
Max Tongue Load:  1,800 lbs.

Weight-Distributing Max. Trailer Capacity (Available only with 176? Wheel Base):  18,000 lbs.
Max Tongue Load:  1,800

Finally, if I am understanding you right you?re saying that I can add approx. 3,000 lbs. to the weight of the FW due to cargo, etc.?  Of course we would travel as light as possible.

Thank you much for your time.

LIVE NOW said:

OMG..this thing is HUGE! I'm newbie too still looking for my "Matilda". But I have learned a lot been in this forum...are you sure you want that big for your first TT?

Well, our concern is that we would be full-timing.  And, every full-timer I have ever talked to says that the longer you live in it the smaller it gets.  They also advise getting as many slides as possible.  We also have a little dog who would travel w. us.

But, yes, I do agree that this would be quite intimidating  :-[.  If we really pulled the trigger on this I would devote night & day to mastering this thing before we launched out.  Wish there were some boot camps we could take to learn more.

Good luck!

I keep seeing differences between 30/50 amp. outlets at RV location hookups.  Not even sure what the take home of that is?  I assume this means 50 amp. = more electric power (I know, I know, looking pretty green really got now)? 

A few random questions below:

Also, what is required to boondock in, say, a Walmart parking lot for a night?  Generator? 

Is there a list of good-recommended-safe campgrounds throughout the US? 

Seems like I read that you cannot really run a blow dryer in conjunction with other high-electrical things (i.e., simultaneously) or you will likely flip a switch?

I am sure some of this is myth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom