Sleep Number Beds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Looking for opinions of sleep number beds from people who have them in their RV?s. Do you sleep better on one?  Would you purchase another one? 

You're likely to find opinions both ways. For DW and me, while we were able to sleep on the Sleep Number king that was in our previous coach, we much prefer a standard mattress, such as we have now. The Sleep Number is just a fancy air mattress, and we felt the bulge if we got it firm enough -- otherwise it was too soft for us.

Note that when traveling with SN, if you have much elevation change you'll need to make adjustments, but if you gain a lot of elevation, even though you come right back down, you'll need to let the air down to (on ours) a setting of 20 or less, or else you risk over expansion and possibly bursting it.

Larry N. said:
You're likely to find opinions both ways. For DW and me, while we were able to sleep on the Sleep Number king that was in our previous coach, we much prefer a standard mattress, such as we have now. The Sleep Number is just a fancy air mattress, and we felt the bulge if we got it firm enough -- otherwise it was too soft for us.

Note that when traveling with SN, if you have much elevation change you'll need to make adjustments, but if you gain a lot of elevation, even though you come right back down, you'll need to let the air down to (on ours) a setting of 20 or less, or else you risk over expansion and possibly bursting it.
When you say standard mattress do you mean foam mattress?

Very much a personal choice, as is any mattress.  Some love them, others hate them.  We used a different brand of air adjustable mattress for several years in our coach and were happy enough, but we like our high-end innerspring mattress at home better.

We both prefer a firm mattress, so one style works well for us.  Other couples have widely different preferences, so the individual adjustments are a big factor for them.

My advice is to visit a Sleep Number store and try them out, just as you would a non-adjustable mattress.

We don't have a "Sleep Number" mattress, ours is made by InnoMax, and it's the mattress that Winnie installs in some of their coaches. We find it to be very comfortable, but as Gary mentioned, choosing a mattress is a personal comfort thing that doesn't apply to everyone.

We've never had any problems with ours, but some have reported problems with the hand controllers, air hoses and interlock switches, which are there to prevent the slides from being retracted while the bed is extended, because there isn't enough clearance when the slides are in.

If we needed a new mattress, I would likely replace it with another InnoMax adjustable bed.

Kev

clockdrfla said:
When you say standard mattress do you mean foam mattress?

No, standard is typically some form of spring-type. We currently have a Beauty Rest firm mattress, and it's very good, similar to what we have in the house. We've never liked foam mattresses that much.

We have a sleep number bed in our house, and have had it for years and years.  When we bought our Toy Hauler a couple of years ago, the mattress in it was "OK" for me, but my wife couldn't deal with it.  Since the one in our house was 20+ years old, we decided to move it to the camper and buy a new one for the house, since the one in the camper obviously doesn't get used as much as the one in the house.  It is totally awesome to have the "same" bed no matter if we are at home or out camping.  We both absolutely love the sleep number system.  So my answer would be that it is totally worth it for us.

We have a sleep number bed.  We have had to replace the air pump, which there are generics available and less money than the brand names.  The only complaint I have with it is the foam in the middle that separates the two sides.  The DW likes the mattress soft with the number about 20, I prefer about 50, so you can feel the divider.  Not a big deal, I don't even notice once I fall asleep.  When the mattress fails we will most likely go with an inner spring mattress like we have in the house.

Have a sleep number in motorhome, another one on sleeper sofa for overflow guest at home. Really like them on 50+, very supportive of bad back. King bed at home has foam innerspring combo that is ok. Most likely go with sleep number for king bed in a few years. Be sure you try any mattress at least twice before buying. BTW, the Hound liked it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom