Replacing awning LED's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flrtrader

I have a 2015 Keystone 322RL tow behind that needs to have the outside led's replaced.  I have found many sources that sell LED's in General but wondering if there is more to it than just getting a length measurement and ordering.  Want to avoid ordering from the manufacturer because of price gouge but want quality replacement as well.   

Thoughts?

Keith

Welcome to the RVForum Flrtrader. Are you sure it's the LED light strip that failed, or could the wires that lead to the light strip have come loose, or broken? Some awning mounted light strips have small wires sewn into the edge of the awning fabric that supply power to the light strip. After repeatedly rolling up and down, those wires have been known to fatigue and break.

If the light strip has indeed failed, replacements are pretty cheap, and most are 12 volt. Cutting them to length may be necessary, depending on the span of your awning, but that's easy enough with a razor blade. Soldering two sections together, however, can be a challenge, because the connections are so small.

Kev

Thanks Kev,

I was thinking I'd get no replies!!  Yes I am sure they need replaced as they are very dim....  Unlike the newer versions that are very bright.  And yes I see the connecting wires where the stock one is connected. My question is where, and what type does one get?  Current led's are kind of like square diods...  But the ones on mine seem more like a small bulb.  Maybe not as I have not taken them down as of yet.  Maybe that should be my next move is to take them off.  Mine are not on the outter edge of the roll away from RV but are in a strip right against the rv after the awning rolls out.

Thanks,

Welcome to the Forum!

I have purchased these, and have been happy.

https://smile.amazon.com/Non-waterproof-Christmas-Holiday-Kitchen-Decoration/dp/B00HSF64JG/ref=pd_ys_sapd_nav_hcs_rp_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HSF64JG&pd_rd_r=JX82KJ3D7ND362FYZQH0&pd_rd_w=36PRq&pd_rd_wg=mUgmF&pf_rd_i=nav-high-confidence-slot&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1f389e35-a4a8-4fe9-bcb3-352102c5df87&pf_rd_r=JX82KJ3D7ND362FYZQH0&pf_rd_s=nav-high-confidence-slot&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=JX82KJ3D7ND362FYZQH0

Note these are NOT waterproof, though they make similar ones that are.  They also come in different colors - warm white, daylight, etc.  Strips can be cut about every 2 inches with scissors.

Thanks grashley,

I see they say NON-waterproof...  So I am guessing you use this for indoor us?  Which is cool as I am looking for under cabinet lighting as well.  But I was asking about outdoor, replacing the led's against my rv under the awning.

Thoughts?

Also noticed it is 12V

Guess I did not consider what voltage the lights are in/under awning.

Hmmmm

Oh thanks for the welcome!!

Amazon sells several different LED strips from this company.  This happens to be the one I got for indoor use.  They sell the same brand, etc, that are waterproof.  Go to Amazon and search LED strip lights.

I have them in the kitchen under the cabinets.  They have been on 24/7 for over a year with no issues.

Being 12V lights, you can wire them directly to a switch and the coach battery.

Back
Top Bottom