Flag pole for the American Flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTM

Looking for advice in purchasing a flag holder for camping,,,any thoughts, I have seen ones that attach to the hitch

You mean something like this?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Ladder-Mount-16-Flag-Pole-Bracket-RV-Bracket/290562922965?hash=item43a6e659d5:g:ZKkAAMXQ9u1REvD4

There are other types.  I simply searched on 'RV flagpole holder'.

I use a Telescoping pole from Sunsetter with a park on base. well originally it had a park on base till I drove over the base (not the pole) Now I stake it and use what is termed an "Eves Bracket" though at th 6' level.  Works great. The thing is.. I don't often use it for a flag. Other things however daily.

For example. Just now you are sitting on top of the flag pole.. (Well the Wi-Fi Client that connects to the park router is there.. So..).

There's also a type that you drive your front tire onto the base so the wind can't blow it away.  We have a smaller flag and use a suction cup holder on the front of the motorhome.  It really depends on how big the flag is and what is reasonable to hold it down.  If you can attend a large RV rally somewhere they usually have at least one flag vendor that has both flags and poles.  Some of the poles are quite large!

ArdraF

John From Detroit said:
I use a Telescoping pole from Sunsetter with a park on base. well originally it had a park on base till I drove over the base (not the pole) Now I stake it and use what is termed an "Eves Bracket" though at th 6' level.  Works great. The thing is.. I don't often use it for a flag. Other things however daily.

For example. Just now you are sitting on top of the flag pole.. (Well the Wi-Fi Client that connects to the park router is there.. So..).
We picked up a telescoping pole at the FMCA rally in Wyoming this summer. We put our RVForum flag on it plus we have mounted our cell booster to it like John. Ours attaches to the coach with industrial suction cups, the kind glaziers use to move big pieces of glass. These things are tough! I like the fact we can position the pole wherever we want - back, front, or side. They have an available LED light that is on the very top and positions the light down at the flag inches away if you don?t take your flag down. I just hate glaring lights left on all night that are bright enough to use for a football game!

We use this https://gostikproducts.com/model-goflag2/ We bought it at the last Tampa show. I put it on the front of my coach after I bought it and didn?t take it down until mid April. Stayed up through all the wind and rain. Surpassed my expectations.

Attachments

• ED72E369-FC90-46F9-BB88-3574CFB81695.jpeg
    ED72E369-FC90-46F9-BB88-3574CFB81695.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 58
We have a 20' telescoping pole that we got before we had an RV.  It came with a plate that has a pipe that screws into it, upon which you park your vehicle wheel for support.  Works really well.  Bracket looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Large-Diameter-Portable-Flagpole/dp/B0015UI9AM/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1537792587&sr=8-34&keywords=rv+flag+pole

The pole we got was a bit thicker than most that are out now.  Standard appears to be 2" in diameter; ours is more like 2.25".  When we got our coach, I quickly realized that there was no way I was moving the coach after leveling to park it on the plate.  So I found an adjustable ladder bracket that lets me easily attach the pole to the ladder.  I leave the mount in place when not in use.  It's pretty slick, with an upper support that works well, and a secure lower support that holds the pole tightly.  Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/EEZ-RV-Products-ALUMINUM-LADDERS/dp/B01CQ06ZN2/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1537792771&sr=8-35&keywords=rv+flag+pole

Pole is plenty sturdy enough to hold two 3x5 flags with no issue.  I also mounted a solar LED finial, that flashes red-green-blue after sundown.  Makes it very easy to find camp when at a large campground or event.  Looks cool, too.  Link:

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Colored-Beacon-106755-M-FlagPole-Buddy/dp/B00TQ3ENSM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537793015&sr=8-3&keywords=solar+flag+pole+light+red+green+blue

Here's what it looks like installed.  Sorry, don't have a photo of the mount, but you can still see it looks very nice.

Attachments

• IMG_1002_reduced.jpg
    IMG_1002_reduced.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 52
I spent $12 on a 10' piece of PVC pipe and some fittings and made one of those swivel ones.  I'm working on a solar spot light for it as we type.

I spent $12 on a 10' piece of PVC pipe and some fittings and made one of those swivel ones.  I'm working on a solar spot light for it as we type.
I made a swivel pole also and used it for several years. I found it on the ground a couple of times when we came back from our day trips. Sometimes the ground was too hard or there were roots that wouldn?t allow me to drive the rod far enough in the ground.

Attachments

• 8354B7C7-E6F6-4013-98E6-14905BC75A4C.jpeg
    8354B7C7-E6F6-4013-98E6-14905BC75A4C.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 58
The rod I use as a base, I found in a campsite after someone left.  It's 1/2" solid steel and it has a second barb welded to it around 7" from the bottom.  The whole rod sort of looks like a lower case "h".  In really hard ground I use a rubber mallet to drive it into the ground, but in most cases a well placed foot buries it to the cross bar.  The base of the PVC upright rests on the crossbar and it will spin to match the direction of the slightest breeze.  We've had some pretty gnarly wind storms that I thought were going to blow the whole pole off the base rod and have never had a problem.  My neighbor host last year used just a thin piece of rebar for hers and it never did work right.  I think having the cross bar at the base is the key.

My neighbor host last year used just a thin piece of rebar for hers and it never did work right.  I think having the cross bar at the base is the key.
I used rebar also, but drove it about 7? or more in the ground. I like your setup better. I also put a washer larger than the pvc pipe diameter between the pole and the ground, so the pole spins easier and the ground doesn?t tear up the base of the pole.

I got mine from Poles and Holders.

https://www.polesandholders.com/home.php

They have a fiberglass telescoping flag pole and an aluminum telescoping pole. They also have hitch and ladder mounts.

Safe travels.  JD

Dragginourbedaround said:
I used rebar also, but drove it about 7? or more in the ground. I like your setup better. I also put a washer larger than the pvc pipe diameter between the pole and the ground, so the pole spins easier and the ground doesn?t tear up the base of the pole.

I picked up a couple of fender washers to drop over the stake when I bought the stuff to make the pole, but after a couple of moves I discovered they weren't really necessary with the cross bar.  Also the PVC I bought was flared on one end to allow joining pieces without separate couplings.  I made sure that flare end is at the bottom of the pole section where it rests on the cross bar.

Unless you want to take the flag down when it gets dark you may want something like this.  https://www.amazon.com/FORUP-Solar-Light-Flagpole-Downlight/dp/B07H4J4WZ8/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1537898939&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=flagpole+lights+solar+led&psc=1

I had to make an adapter to get it to fit my flagpole.  That took about 5 minutes with a whittling knife.  (A real craftsman would have made it on a lathe.)

We have a travel trailer and Grant does woodworking. We have pipe clamp sets that go onto pipe to clamp wood while glue dries.
We use the clamp w silicone pot holder on the back bumper or hitch end of the camper and screw pipes to reach above the camper.
We use a solar light to light our flag at night.  Bless the U.S.A. !

I watched the wind bend the heck out of my buddies ladder when his flag was mounted.  He had one of those like earlier in the thread - just up at the top.

Based on that I got the Flag Pole Buddy - - - has 2 mount points on the ladder which should distribute the load.  Also, don't have to climb the ladder to mount it because of the clever top mount.  Take a peek at them.

i also got my 22' fiberglass telescoping pole from Poles and Holders.  But sadly they don't seem to have anything quite like the Flag Pole Buddy.

Anyway, works for me....

-Chak

Also following. I like to see all the options. Was hoping to see something that mounts to the 5th wheel pin box.

FlagPole Buddy seems to work best for us, very easy to set up and take down, solid construction.

Back
Top Bottom