Renting a trialer, towing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Houston.Brown

I am renting a Forest River No Boundaries 19.7. I own a 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited that came with the tow prep package. It is rated for a Tongue Weight of 500 lbs. and a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. The trailer specs are 3809 lbs. (Empty) and a hitch weight of 388 lbs. Would like any input as to weather this may be too close to the vehicles max to safely pull this trailer, at least for a beginner.

The truck will have 2 persons in it along with some gear for 4 days of camping. Probably not over 500 more lbs in total will be added to the gross weight of the truck itself. The trailer will be caring no more than 400 lbs.

Many thanks,
Houston

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 6.44.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 6.44.19 PM.png
    322.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 10.40.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 10.40.53 AM.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 8
Too close, in my opinion.

First of all, that trailer weighed 3809 when it left the factory, but by the time it hits the road it will be closer to 4000 (empty), simply due to residual water in the tanks & lines, if nothing else. And there is always something else!  Add 400 lbs (optimistic!) of gear and you are at 4400 or so.  Further, the empty tongue weight is irrelevant as well - it needs to be 10-12% of the actual loaded trailer weight to avoid severe sway and control problems.  I would figure 425-475 lbs for tongue weight.  I suspect you cam pull it, but won't like it very much.

Even with passengers and gear in the Highlander, you are probably OK on Payload. The payload numbers are impressive for an SUV.

I agree, very close.  I'm usually the first to say, NO.  You are on the fence.  Where do you plan on towing?  Mountains, mostly flat land?  It all plays into it.  At minimum, pack light, keep tanks as empty as possible.

Pugapooh said:
Renting from a private owner or a business.  I would think they have a personal interest in this.

Sadly, neither would have an interest.  Both insured and liability is on you.  In the same breath, I'd do it personally.  Learn your limits, be careful and understand that you are on the edge and that it's all about you.

There is no "magic" number that is safe....be careful, play, learn and have fun!

I rent out our 25' toyhauler trailer, and I always ask potential renters what their tow vehicle is and whether they have an electric brake controller.  The rental organization makes them buy insurance and that's good, but I don't want to set them up to fail, or let them drive away with something that is unsafe.

Also I supply the Blue Ox sway control load equalizing hitch that is set up for the trailer, I think that's an important safety feature.  Just plug it into their receiver, and check that the rig is reasonably level.

I go on a test ride with them, see if they have a clue about towing a trailer, and have them test their brake controller.  I haven't had to do it yet but if their brake controller wasn't working I'd insist that they unhitch my rig and go home.  And if they've never towed before it might be a *long* test ride while I coach them through it.

Thanks, Forbes!
Yes it's considerate but at the same time it just makes sense -- the renters not having an accident is good for them and good for me, our interests are the same.  So if me spending a little time with them helps us achieve our mutual goal, that's worthwhile.

And after a season of this I know how much of my time this generally takes, and can plan for that when pricing the rental.  I price it so I feel good about giving this service.

Back
Top Bottom