smell from furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

New to us, old from Dougie, but getting a smell of burning rubber from the furnace.  I let it run a long time, hoping it was like that dusty smell you get that will go away.  Thinking next step is pull it and see if something somehow got on the burn chamber.  Ideas?

Is there a lot of soot on the exhaust outlet?  That would indicate a partially blocked system. Check for mud daubers or other blockage.

I had that in my coach when I bought it.  Used an endoscope camera up the exhaust and it clearly showed the nest.

Tom

Smell inside the RV, or at the exhaust.  You should never smell anything inside except maybe that dust in the duct aroma.  Burnt wire smell, however, could be exactly that, or something that fell onto the furnace and is melting on the burner chamber. 

Heli_av8tor said:
Is there a lot of soot on the exhaust outlet?  That would indicate a partially blocked system. Check for mud daubers or other blockage.

I had that in my coach when I bought it.  Used an endoscope camera up the exhaust and it clearly showed the nest.

Tom

Proctologist for RVs?

the endoscope could certainly find something in the ducting, but I think this will be something on the outside of the burn chamber. 

Just so folks know. Endoscopes (One of which is the 40 dollar Lizard am now advertised on TV) are used by Mechanics, Plumbers. HEVAC folks and more.. Very popular tool.. I have one that plugs into my phone.  I think it cost me 8 bucks.  Been a big help on a couple jobs.

We have several types we use at work. We call them "Borescopes".  When I think Endoscope I think medical procedure. But YES, they help A LOT!

http://trendyandroid.com/borescope-vs-endoscope/

Update,  pulled furnace out,  visually inspected burn chambers,  very clean, little dust, blew out with compressed air.  Reinstalled and still a bit of the same odor, but ever notice when driving your toad after being towed, you get that rubber smell?  Same smell.  The furnace is mounted above the bumper on the rear of the coach.  Could it be pulling up road dust?  As in the toad, after driving some time, all the crud burns off.  I am hpoping this will be the case, have not run the furnace much yet, kept turning off in case it was wire insulation or something.  Nope.  So, while we are in the house, letting the furnace run tonight, will sniff in the morning.  Makes me wonder, should I cover the ports while driving? 

Bill, it never occurred to me to cover the ports which I wish I had done. As I mentioned to you, the Yukon road construction dust was the worst I've ever encountered, anywhere.  We twice had to completely deep-clean the coach interior due to it getting absolutely everywhere. It was a real fine dust too.  My money (well yours now?) is on the dust.

Dougie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foogie
Back
Top Bottom