Info please on TTs with GVW < 7700lbs and tongue weight < 550 lbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbotid

Hi all, new here but can see there is a HUGE amount of knowledge here!

Looking to buy a TT with BH but current towing vehicle has low towing limits (Range Rover, who?d have thought?!).

Struggling to find that info anywhere online in a way we can find a layout we like. Can anyone recommend a TT that meets those towing weights?  Thanks in advance, oh wise ones!!

For proper towing, tongue weight needs to be between 10 and 15 percent of the trailer weight.  10% of 7700 lbs. is 770 lbs. and 15% is 1155 lbs.  so those numbers don't add up.  10% of 5500 lbs gives you your 550 lbs. tongue weight, so any trailer you pull need to be less than 5500 lbs.

In addition to the weight problem, as a general rule, the longer the wheelbase of the tow vehicle, the easier and smoother it tows.  Since a Range Rover is a fairly short wheelbase vehicle, it's actually a pretty poor choice for towing anything other than a utility trailer or one of those pop-up tent campers.

Or it would probably work ok for one of those small fiberglass trailers, like the Casita.  Take a look at this site:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

Thanks for such a quick response. Those figures are straight out of the manual. The max tow hitch load is quoted as 330lbs but for trailers with overrun brakes it says you can go up to 550lbs.

I?ll take a look at your link thanks. Thinking we may need to change our vehicle but husband LOVES his RR

Turbotid said:
Those figures are straight out of the manual. The max tow hitch load is quoted as 330lbs but for trailers with overrun brakes it says you can go up to 550lbs.

As Optimistic stated you must have at least 10% hitch weight. Using your numbers of max 550 hitch weight and working backwards, that equates to a 5500 pound MAX weight trailer including all of your belongings and at least partial water and waste tanks plus propane. This probably puts you in the 4500-4800 pound empty weight trailer. Any heavier than that, even if it's still below the max stated towing weight, and you will exceed your hitch weight.

Do not even think about pulling a trailer with less than 10% on the tongue.  If you actually pull that trailer, you are far better off to put 770 lbs on the tongue and overload the vehicle, than only put 550 lbs on the tongue and have a potentially dangerous swaying trailer.

I once had a utility trailer swerve side to side,  tires from both the truck and trailer skidding and smoking down the interstate.  The trailer tossed me around like a rag-doll.  All cars near me on the interstate stopped and let me finish out the ride, rather than attempt to pass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom