Keystone Passprt Ultralight and Cable Jack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaska_av8r

On the side of my travel trailer there appears to be a factory installed cable connection, plus my TT has I believe a wine guard retractable antenna.  I can pick up over the air stations ok, but I tried running cable tv thru the connection on side of trailer at an rv Park and was unable to get anything.  What am I doing wrong?  I did do a channel scan and no channels were found

Thanks

You probably have a switch somewhere.  See if you can follow the inside cable from the outside connection.

Most of them are usually located in the cabinets up front somewhere.

Welcome to the Forum

As Bill is indicating, the antenna has an amplifier that needs power. The TV outlet (where you can plug in another TV's antenna lead to your wall inside) has a small switch (often a small pushbutton) on the wall plate. There is usually also a small light on that plate. If the light is on, then the antenna is powered, cutting off the cable TV connection, but if you then push the button the light goes off and the cable connection is restored and you then cannot receive over-the-air signals. That little wall plate is sometimes inside a cabinet, sometimes visible on the wall itself, so you'll have to hunt a bit.

Since you did do a channel scan with no channels found, I presume you did switch the TV itself to use the cable input.

There are potentially three (3) places that affect the antenna vs cable source for the tv, but individual RV wiring varies. 

One is a control switch for the Over-The-Air Antenna, basically on On/Off pushbutton on a wall plate somewhere.  The external cable inlet coax may be routed through this switch, in which case it must be in the Off or Cable position for the park cable signal to reach the tv.  The switch does two things: (a) selects whether roof antenna or park cable goes to the tv, and (b) tuns the roof antenna amplifier on/off.

The second is at the tv itself, where Cable or OTA (aka Air) is selected on the Settings menu. There may be multiple settings, e.g. source input jack, tuner type (digital, analog, cable, etc).

The third possibility is a separate tv source switching box, which may allow choices of different sources such as Antenna, Cable, DVD, Satellite, etc.  These aren't as common as they used to be because most newer tvs have source switching built into the tv.

Back
Top Bottom