Instrument cluster gauges "clacking" while engine off and no key in ignition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the7thchakra

Hi all!

I've been having instrument cluster issues with my 2006 Coachmen Mirada.  The most recent problem is that the instrument cluster gauges start "clacking" when there's no key in the ignition.

Out of nowhere, the guage arms begin to "clack" (low amplitude oscillations; about 20 Hz), making a relay-like buzzing sound.  (In fact, it sounds like the starter relay when the battery is low, but there's no key in the ignition when this happens.)  This carries on for a few seconds (2-10) and then stops.

I had a new engine battery installed on Friday.  We *were* having apparent battery issues, resulting in the instrument cluster simply not working: when I'd start the engine, the battery light would come on, but nothing else would appear (no test lights, no gauge movement, etc.).  After driving for a while, stopping and then starting the engine, the instrument cluster would come back to life.  So...  I got a new engine battery on Friday.

The "clacking" didn't start with the new battery, I don't think I noticed it until recently because we've been in hot places and have had the coach AC running.

Other possibly relevant information:

- We are on shore power when this happens.  I haven't been in the vehicle (unless the engine is running) off of shore power, so I'm not sure if it happens then.
- Last night, the "clacking" went for 2-10 seconds, but there were about 15-20 "sessions" of it.  That's when I first noticed that this was happening.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks!  I've read elsewhere that the wires around the steering column can chafe.  I'll snoop around under there and see if I find anything shocking *zap*

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom