2014 5.7L Tundra - looking to tow Passport UL 3290BH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delaware RV

I already own the 2014 Tundra SR5 CrewMax (with 4x4 and tow package - my truck specs are below).  We currently own a Prowler 25LX TT and the truck handles it so well that sometimes I forget it is back there.  We are looking to upgrade the TT to something bigger for our growing family and we found the Passport Ultra Lite 3290BH.  It has a a dry weight of 6,677 lbs and a GVWR of 8,000 lbs.  The tongue weight is 825 lbs and total trailer length is 36'8". 

Here are my truck's ratings from it's sticker and owner's manual:

Curb Weight: 5,760
GVWR: 7,200
Pay Load Max: 1,335
Tongue Weight Max: 1,050
Max Tow Weight: 9,600
Total GCWR: 15,900
Wheelbase: 145.7"

What are your thoughts on this combination? I use the Andersen WD hitch

Probably OK, but what does your "growing family" do the the truck payload?  At some point that 1335 Max Payload isn't going to be enough for 800-900 lbs of tongue weight + passengers and gear in the truck.

Delaware RV, I assume you're from Delawhere? We live in Lower Slower. Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the Forum!

I am a bit concerned.  The 1335 Payload ( I assume this is from the yellow placard) must include the tongue wt, which is 10% - 12% of the loaded camper wt., which will be 800 - 1000 lbs.  Add the weight of the hitch and the weight of all family members, car seats, diaper bags, toys, snacks and whatever you carry in the bed.  I fear you will push or exceed that 1335#.

I also worry about the length of this camper.

Note the max tongue wt of 1050# eats up all but 285# of the Payload.  With a 200 lb driver and a 80# WD hitch, you are maxed out.  If the tongue wt was that high, that is the consequence.

You can try it, but be prepared to upgrade the truck with a bigger payload tow vehicle.  You could take two vehicles - Truck pulls the camper, other car brings the family.

Delaware RV said:
Yes, that is a concern I have. I am looking into aftermarket springs to maybe help

you can fit springs to handle the extra load, but consider the fact that you are maxed out
and have no reserve capacity. I have towed 7000 lb at 25 ft with a Tundra with good success
I would not hesitate to do so again, I would not however attempt to tow a 36 ft sail.
the Tundra is a very capable truck, but why push it at it's maximum loading ?

OK, double checked the yellow card on my door jam. Payload for my exact truck is 1,429.  Also, my max towing is 9,800.  My WD hitch weighs only 54lbs.  Just some clarification.

Yes, my main concern is the payload. We will store almost all of our gear in the camper and try to keep the bed of the truck will be empty except for maybe the folding table and folding charcoal grill. My current TT is a 25 ft box at 29'10" total length. Essentially I am adding 7', so who has experience with a 1/2 ton and something that long? I am a conservative driver, never above 60mph and we just plan for longer (time wise) drives.

And yes we are in northern DE, but make it down to the beach campgrounds several times each summer!

This is not a black & white decision, even at the Tundra's spec limits.  The wheels don't fall off if you go 1 lb over the payload or Max Tow!  It's a matter of how comfortable you are at or near the upper end.    Odds are you will be fine under "normal conditions", but speed, road surface, traffic and weather can all negatively effect that.

I personally would not be very comfortable with that size trailer on a half ton with a large family onboard. Not terrified, but not comfortable either.  Perhaps because I've been in one trailer towing accident and one near-accident (got run into the ditch by another driver).  Neither one my driving fault or predictable - sometimes the world throws crap in your lap!    It is perhaps significant that the accident occurred with a tow vehicle that was only marginally adequate for the job (I was a novice then), whereas the near-accident we survived was with a truck spec'ed & bought specifically to handle the 5W trailer length & weight.  I'm convinced having a more capable vehicle helped.

I have the exact same truck, except mine is a 2012. I tow my 25 ft cabin cruiser, which on the trailer is about 30 ft, and weighs around 8000 lbs. With the full canopy top, it can be quite the sail in the wind. While I dont hesitate to tow it an hour or two from home, I dont think I would want to tow it in 50 mph winds, or through the mountains. As stated, the tundra is a capable truck, but I think you might not want to head out on windy days with that big of trailer.

Thank you all for the input.  And I understand the high winds.  Even if I had a full 1 ton truck, I most likely would not go driving a camper that long in the wind. Luckily we are east coasters, and the only time we get winds like that are in storms (like Nor'Easters or quick summer thunderstorms), which are days I won't drive anyway.  And if we get caught in one, we just pull over.

Well, after running more numbers we realize we will always be over payload in our Tundra.  With that (while I love my truck) we are going to be looking to trade up to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck now so we can then feel comfortable with whatever camper/TT/5er comes our way in the future.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom