Changing slides switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coopster8

Not sure what to make the subject, but I have a keystone challenger 2009, has 4 slides but one control switch, I was wondering if it can be easily changed to 4 independent switchs.?

Do all 4 slides go in and out at the same time???  Sounds a bit unusual!

How many wires are near or attached to the current switch?  You will need a pair of wires going from each switch to the associated slide relay.  If the wires are there, should be fairly easy.  If not, lots of fishing wires and finding relays!

Sorry, no they are controlled by 1 switch but open 1 by 1.. not sure about wiring, wife asked me, so I thought I would ask..

Please explain!  You push and hold the switch, then one opens, then the next...  So you can not control which one opens or in what order???

Seems like an odd design, but the switch merely signals the slide controller, which is where a relay closes and sends power to one slide motor or another.  Pull the switch out and look at its connections. Does it have 4 pairs of wires, or just one?  If there are 4 pairs, you could probably put in 4 switches.

What brand of slide mechanism (and therefore what slide controller) do you have?

BIL had one that operated like that. Hold one button, one would extend fully, then the second would extend. Vice versa when retracting them.

Ours is like that and I really wish the 4 slides were on individual switches. But as they are hydraulic, DH doesn?t think there would be any way to change it.

Vicki

grashley said:
Please explain!  You push and hold the switch, then one opens, then the next...  So you can not control which one opens or in what order???
Yes, you push button until all opens, starts in bedroom, kitchen, living room and finally other room..

That's a crappy design because of the lack of flexibility, but you are stuck with it.  Changing the switch won't help cause clearly the slide controller is doing the sequencing.

I suppose you could wire separate switches for each slide motor (or valve, if hydraulic), but then you lose the other protections built into the controller, e.g. amp overload protection (which also stops on a jam or obstruction), limit switches and interlocks.  If electric slide motors, you would alo need power relays (the actual  power does not flow through the switch).  A lot of wiring and expense.

I have four slides, the bedroom slide on it's own switch.  The other three on one switch.  They move according to what slide has the least resistance and requires the lowest hydraulic pressure.  I think I have one electric motor controlling the hydraulic pump for these three slides.

I can adjust the hydraulic valves to only open one (or two) slide(s) at a time.  I suspect that you can too, but it's a PITA.  The only way to get multiple switches is to separate the hydraulic system for each slide.  Not impossible, but not worth the effort.

If they were all on separate electric motors, or Hydraulic pumps, it would be easy.

Thank you, yes I think your right about a poor design and the work isnt worth my time to have 4 slides switchs, but it would be nice

Our 2004 keystone sprinter 5th wheel had one switch for the slides. It was a hydraulic system with one pump.  Which ever slice moved the easiest moved first and when it reached its limit, the other started. Sometimes, the kitchen and living area would take turns until both were out.

Mine has a set of valve "knobs" that allow you to shut off each slide valve individually so you can open one, two or all three slides.  Only one switch.  The bedroom is electric.

Back
Top Bottom