Back When....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spring Creek

My wife and I don't like any camping/outdoor chair we've ever bought or sat in.  So the other day we were lamenting "what happened to the good old cheap aluminum chairs with the woven strips?"  Now I must say cheap was the name of the game but they were SO easy to throw into the car and lightweight to carry.

Well, we found some on line and purchased.  Actually made in the USA too!  While they weren't cheap, we are hoping for something very lightweight and easy/foolproof to fold.  We'll let you know how they work....should arrive this week.

Now on to the question:

What do you remember from days gone by that were wonderful, you'd still buy if they sold it, but you can't find anymore?

Kurt

I have one of those old aluminum coolers, I think was made by Coleman. It belonged to my grandfather, and I?m 63. Plastic stuff definitely has its advantages, but definitely not heirloom material to pass down to the next generation.

Toastettes.  Like a pop tart,only better.

We've been wondering about the zero gravity chairs that seem so popular but I don't want to spend and find out I hate it.  And the fold ups that come in a sack are too hard to get out of.  Got a directors style,hope I like it.

Pugapooh said:
We've been wondering about the zero gravity chairs that seem so popular but I don't want to spend and find out I hate it.

We love our zero gravity recliners, but they're definitely not light weights like the kind Kurt's referring to. If you see one in a campground, you might ask the folks if you can try one out.

Dutch, we have some zero gravity chairs.  Of all the chairs we have, we like them the best but the two downsides are weight and size.  They are very comfortable though!

Grashley, I thought I was the only person who missed hard licorice (maybe DW brainwashed me?)!  Loved that stuff!

Scotch Buckets I don't recognize.  What was that?

Pizza Hut 30+ years ago was much better than the product they put out today.  A lot of restaurants lose their quality over time as they seek cost savings.

pop top pop bottles that had a little liner and sometimes there was liners with free pop in them .... we used to stalk the corner store and raid the top bin for free pop....

Sun2Retire said:
Anyone remember the Scotch Bucket?

Wasn't that Scoresby Scotch? $3.99 for a 5 gallon bucket...and you get to keep the bucket!  :p

There's a lot of "back in the day" things that I miss...like $0.30/gallon gasoline...

BoomerD said:
Wasn't that Scoresby Scotch? $3.99 for a 5 gallon bucket...and you get to keep the bucket!  :p

There's a lot of "back in the day" things that I miss...like $0.30/gallon gasoline...

$.19 a gallon gas. We would scrounge under the seats and between the cushions for enough to cruise around in a friend?s GTO.

Oldgator73 said:
Not sure this is an appropriate post. Do you have daughter?
Oldgator73
I'm pretty sure that looking for anybody's daughter on any RV forum is NOT appropriate.  :mad:

mel s said:
Oldgator73
I'm pretty sure that looking for anybody's daughter on any RV forum is NOT appropriate.  :mad:

I would posit you misconstrued my post. Would he want someone treating his daughter the way he was insinuating in his post. I am certainly not trolling for anyone?s daughter. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

OBX said:
Pizza Hut 30+ years ago was much better than the product they put out today.  A lot of restaurants lose their quality over time as they seek cost savings.

Amen! I got hooked when I was at Kansas State and there was a Pizza Hut (not their current store design, it was just in a row of stores) near the campus -- great stuff then, and toppings weren't nearly as sparse as today.

I miss King's Food Host, which I first encountered in Topeka, KS in the mid-60s. Outstanding double cheese burgers, Cheese and Tuna Frenchies (mmm-mmmmm), and an electronic ordering system (speaker/mic at each table), rather than wait staff, though staff did deliver orders to your table.

And restaurant chains weren't the common thing you find today, so in Evansville, IN, Austin's "Drive Up" Restaurant had hush puppies and a pork tenderloin sandwich that was "to die for," way bigger than the bun, and never any gristle. The Dubl R Drive In had pizza burgers and outstanding onion rings. In Manhattan, KS, besides the Pizza Hut, there was the Dugout Bar and Grill, which had marvelous hamburgers and garlic fries.

In fact, I miss drive-in restaurants in general, in spite of Sonic being a drive-in, but not that great. I miss movies that I could enjoy watching (no blood and guts, no cussing, a general code of content that was decent) and drive-in movie theaters to go with them.

Speaking of drive in restaurants we had Steak N Shake. The servers would come to you car on roller skates. The best were the mom & pop hamburger places. Burgers cooked to order on the flattop grill and great footling hotdogs where the bun was grilled on both sides.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom