Back When....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hanr3 said:
What I miss from the old days is stuff that can be fixed. Everything is disposable now. When it breaks, throw it out and buy a new one. Some things you can fix, but it's cheaper to buy new, especially if your paying someone else to do the repairs.

I pick up broken things, out of dumpsters or alongside the road. I will fix them and then throw them away after a while. Wife says I have a disease....or a condition, but I'm trying to fix that.

Hanr3 said:
What I miss from the old days is stuff that can be fixed. Everything is disposable now. When it breaks, throw it out and buy a new one. Some things you can fix, but it's cheaper to buy new, especially if your paying someone else to do the repairs.

Man you can say that again..  But thinking back to my 20's when I'd go up a ladder with 180 pounds of shingles (or carry 240 on flat ground) I kind of wonder.... Should I have done that???

Dark drive in restaurants with lots of far away parking and no lights.  Great for spooning but I now live in fear of some #MeToo person coming after my retirement check (and me too).  I would not look good in stripes.

Bill

catblaster said:
I pick up broken things, out of dumpsters or alongside the road. I will fix them and then throw them away after a while. Wife says I have a disease....or a condition, but I'm trying to fix that.

I do that and it upsets my wife to no end. 
My current zero gravity recliner came out of a dumpster after a couple of the cords had broken.  I fixed it and it's on it's 3rd season with me.
The area rug we have under the awning was left in a site by a camper.  We may or may not take it with us after the season.  We'll see how it holds up.
Just the other day I pulled a tent out of a trash can.  Put it up when I got back to our space and it's almost new except missing the rain fly.  It'll probably go back in the trash, as the boss says we have no need for a tent, especially one with no rain fly.  I think she's probably right on this one.
You ought to see my collection of tent pegs.  :eek:

I pick up broken things, out of dumpsters or alongside the road. I will fix them and then throw them away after a while.
Me too, but I'm finally beginning to get over it.  I still do it at home, though. Something craps out and we buy a replacement, but I keep the old one and fix it.  Having a spare can be a good thing, but if it's something that lasts for years anyway...

Old_Crow said:
I do that and it upsets my wife to no end. 
My current zero gravity recliner came out of a dumpster after a couple of the cords had broken.  I fixed it and it's on it's 3rd season with me.
The area rug we have under the awning was left in a site by a camper.  We may or may not take it with us after the season.  We'll see how it holds up.
Just the other day I pulled a tent out of a trash can.  Put it up when I got back to our space and it's almost new except missing the rain fly.  It'll probably go back in the trash, as the boss says we have no need for a tent, especially one with no rain fly.  I think she's probably right on this one.
You ought to see my collection of tent pegs.  :eek:

My suggestion is for you to leave these things for Gary and I to find and repair again, but please leave them beside the dumpster, we are getting too old to climb into them anymore.

Tent update.  Went around to empty trash again this morning and found the rain fly and room dividers for the tent in a different trash can, clear across the loop from where I found the tent last night.

Best thing I ever found was last year at the Canyon.  One morning, sitting beside the dumpster a brand new pair of Danner hiking boots in my size.  You can tell the guy bought them, wore them hiking at the canyon and then set them beside the dumpster when he left.  Looked them up online and they go for $160.

Old_Crow said:
Tent update.  Went around to empty trash again this morning and found the rain fly and room dividers for the tent in a different trash can, clear across the loop from where I found the tent last night.

Best thing I ever found was last year at the Canyon.  One morning, sitting beside the dumpster a brand new pair of Danner hiking boots in my size.  You can tell the guy bought them, wore them hiking at the canyon and then set them beside the dumpster when he left.  Looked them up online and they go for $160.

Good find, extremely lucky to find them the right size too. I got a pair of good usable Army issue boots, two sets of surgical scrubs and a set of oxygen and acetylene tanks from one dumpster. The oxy tank was also an owners tank so I got to keep it.

What kind of an idjit would throw pressurized gas bottles in the dumpster?  I don't even like to throw away the green 1lb propane bottles.
The big thing at this campground seems to be worn out bag chairs from WalMart.

I too pick up stuff from the curbside. Wife frowns upon it. I usually fix it and donate it to someone. Or I'll scrap out the metal for bait money and go fishing. We buy soda in aluminum cans for our lunches, I recycle the aluminum and use the money for bait. Keeps plastic bottles out of the landfills, and I get a little cash back.

Old_Crow said:
What kind of an idjit would throw pressurized gas bottles in the dumpster?  I don't even like to throw away the green 1lb propane bottles.

I was shocked to find them and decided to pull them out even if I didnt keep them for myself. An acetylene bottle is especially dangerous, although not full they did have some gas left in them.
    I have also found a nitrous oxide bottle (300 cu/in) in one. They are useless except to make gongs out of or giant wind chimes.

Old_Crow said:

Chairs from Walmart, worn out or not, are instant colonosopy machines.  I have 3 that will be dumpster deposited next trip out.

Bill

Bill N said:
Chairs from Walmart, worn out or not, are instant colonosopy machines.  I have 3 that will be dumpster deposited next trip out.

Bill

That?s quite the vision you?ve created for me...good one!  ;)

Bill N said:

Bill

Yeah, our hosting season is coming to an end on the 31st.  I was just looking at the stuff I've got sitting out in our "patio" this season.  Looks like 2 bag chairs, and a nice folding chair from CW aren't going to make the trip to Quartzsite this year.  OTOH, I've got a nice 9'x12' simulated Persian rug that some camper left that I'm going to try and find room for.  I've had it out under the awning for 3 months since they left it, and it looks like I can get a while more out of it.  Still not sure where it's going to ride when we're traveling, though.

Back around 1985, while driving toward home late one night on a street in South Florida, I saw a solid looking, 6 ft long  sink base cabinet at the curb side with the trash (our community picked up anything back then!). Drawers and cabinet doors all intact, but no countertop.  Hmmm, says I.  I could make a nice work bench out of that!  Went home, picked up our Jeep Wagoneer, returned and loaded it on.  Accompanied by  some rather shrill comments from my wife including terms that sounded a lot like idiot, garbage-picker, dummy and even thief!    But I got it home, reinforced the top and added an 1.25 inch plywood top.  33 years later and it still serves as the workbench in my shop (in another house 350 miles away!).  It was perhaps 10 years before my wife admitted that maybe it was a good find afterall.  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom