Back When....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remember going to the submarine races and killing the car battery listening to  the radio. The radios had vacuum tubes with heaters built-in.  No transistors back then.

Franklyn MacCormack and his All Night Showcase on WGN radio ( 720 AM Chicago), who did a marvelous job reading poetry on the air late at night, and who played some nice music, too. I especially listened when I was stationed in Topeka, KS and was working an evening shift, but listened any time I could get it.

And thinking of radio, I really enjoyed the days when radio had shows like The Shadow, Jack Benny, Big John and Sparky (Saturday morning), and Tom Corbett, Space Cadet (right after school).  They were wonderful to lay in front of the radio, close your eyes, and watch the show. And Dad listened to The Bell Telephone Hour, with Donald Vorhees, and Don McNeill's Breakfast Club in the mornings. Mom listened to Stella Dallas, a soap opera.

just looked at the first post and we still have 2 of those cheap aluminum chairs with the webbing from when we got married back in 1968
I remember replacing the webbing twice but that's all

There is a subscription service (live-365 or at least that is what is was when I subscribed) that has an "old Time Radio Channel" run by a ham from Down Under as I recall.

THey run many of those old time radio shows including the Shadow and CBS Mystery theater and more... But the cost to subscribe got too high for me so I dropped it. Do not recall if that channel was on the "Free" version of teh site or not. but the stations I wanted (other stations) were not.

ChasA said:
Remember going to the submarine races and killing the car battery listening to  the radio. The radios had vacuum tubes with heaters built-in.  No transistors back then.

How do you watch submarine races from the car? Aren?t the subs underwater?

Oldgator73 said:
How do you watch submarine races from the car? Aren?t the subs underwater?
That was the whole point. Since you could not see them that left you and your girlfriend plenty of time to *ahem* get better acquainted. I used to go to the lemon orchards outside of Oxnard to watch the submarine races when I was in high school. ;D ;D ;D

ChasA said:
Wow Gator. You must have had a sheltered upbringing. LOL

Or, like me, he might have been reared somewhere away from the big waters. Here in this topic is the first time I've come across that phrase (sub races), but I've only been near water like that a handful of times in my life -- I'm a mountain and desert guy.

Larry N. said:
Or, like me, he might have been reared somewhere away from the big waters. Here in this topic is the first time I've come across that phrase (sub races), but I've only been near water like that a handful of times in my life -- I'm a mountain and desert guy.

Born and raised in Daytona Beach, FL. We didn?t have submarines but we did have drive in movies.

Sometime the submarine races were at the airport perimeter road. No water near there. That's just what we called going someplace to smooch.

What I miss from the old days is stuff that can be fixed. Everything is disposable now. When it breaks, throw it out and buy a new one. Some things you can fix, but it's cheaper to buy new, especially if your paying someone else to do the repairs.

Back
Top Bottom