Just test towed my '03 CRV for 200 miles - a worrysome but good ending -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 2000 Itasca Spirit 24', E350, Triton V10, new to me this year. My tow car is my '03 CRV(187k mi) with a DIY installed Roadmaster baseplate, Harbor Freight magnetic LED tail lights on top, and an old Roadmaster Explorer towbar donated by my friend Glenn. All the wiring and new 6way and 7way sockets were DIY installed including a power line from the RV to charge the CRV battery while towing. The brake system is Blue Ox Patriot 2.

The trip was from Ventura, Ca to Lake Forrest, CA...basically a run on the freeway. I climbed the Camarillo grade fine at about 50mph, had no overheating. The trip went pretty smoothly in spite of the traffic.

Not knowing what to expect, I was a little nervous about double checking everything. When checking out the CRV down in Lake Forrest I discovered that I was not able to move the shift lever from neutral to reverse and park. I was able to begin in neutral and run through the forward gears with the engine running to get it ready for towing. But I did not want to do a complete trouble shooting till I got back home.

At home this morning the shifter still would not move past neutral to reverse. I stepped on the brake with the ignition on and tried with no joy. After calling my Honda guy, I tried pressing on the shifter detente under the tab and could move to any gear while the detente was depressed. Good sign. But still I was unable to move it without pressing on the detente. Another call to my Honda guy. He said it was probably the brake light switch which powered the shifter detente release.

Mmmmmm. I wondered if I put the accessories fuse back in would that give me that brake light switch power back? HA! It worked.

I have already bought all the pieces to add a cut out switch for the accessories fuse - and - next time I tow I will surely remember to turn the circuit on when getting ready to drive away my CRV.

There is one remaining issue. I notice that after being stopped for a while and after powering up the brake and resetting it, the first time I press on the brake pedal, even gently, the CRV brake goes full on and it drags the RV to a stop. Obviously after the first time, I don't do that with any speed on. Does anyone have an idea why the brake would act that way the first time used after resetting? Again it's only the first depression, after that it is smooth and proportional. There is a tiny space between the brake system rear pad and the front of the driver's seat. (1/8 to 1/4 inch) Would that do it?

Alan

Attachments

• Toad - Small).jpg
    Toad - Small).jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 6
Double check your manual but I think after every reset the brake has to cycle fully to set it ( kinda has to know the length of throw) after that you are good to go.

In other words, make it find its self before you drive off.

Once you start pulling the toad on  a regular basis it's a good idea to have somebody next to the toad while you pull forward slowly to make sure all the wheels are turning.

If you don't have someone to do that you can pull forward and turn very sharp. Watch in your mirrors to make sure the wheels are rolling and the front tires are turning with the direction. 

That tells you that the steering wheel is unlocked as it should be.

You can pull a toad while it has the emergency brake on and also if it is still in park. You won't hardly notice it.  Don't ask how I know.

Arch Hoagland said:
You can pull a toad while it has the emergency brake on and also if it is still in park. You won't hardly notice it.  Don't ask how I know.

You can also pull a toad while it is still in gear. Even in 1st gear you won't hardly notice it. At about 45mph the engine goes south. Don't ask how I know.

And, you can also pull it with the steering column locked several degrees to one side of straight.  Your toad's front tires won't like it much, however.

OldGuyOnTheRun said:
There is one remaining issue. I notice that after being stopped for a while and after powering up the brake and resetting it, the first time I press on the brake pedal, even gently, the CRV brake goes full on and it drags the RV to a stop.

Sounds like the CRV has power brakes.  Power brakes have a reserve chamber to allow them to continue to provide braking assistance for one or two stops after the engine shuts down.  After that they revert to manual brakes that require more pedal pressure.

Try pumping the CRV's brake pedal a few times after you shut off the engine and see if the pedal firms up as the power assist dissipates.  If it does, that's what you have to do before you put the Blue Ox in place.

Thanks to all for your ideas and wisdom. The Blue OX Patriot 2, after powering up, requires that it's setup be completed. That is, press the setup button and the unit extends it's arm to depress the brake pedal and test how much pressure it is putting on the brake. Then it relaxes back to it's state of waiting for deceleration to happen. I do that after each stop and power off of the brake unit.

You are probably right about the power brakes. I'll check to see if pumping the brake does anything for me.

See you in Quartzite in January.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom