Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marko g

I haven't been on this site for quite a while but I've always received great advice from veteran RV'ers.
I have a 1990 Beaver Contessa that has been a near perfect coach for me for 15 years. The fridge has lasted until a week ago and I learned it was broken by almost passing out from the ammonia blast when opening it after it was closed for a while. 
Question: Is it fixable or is it not worth fixing a nearly 30 year old fridge?

A new one will cost close to $2000, It may be cheaper to repair it, but I dont think you'll get the ammonia smell out of it if it was closed for awhile with the fumes inside.

You'll have to replace the entire cooling unit, which will cost almost as much as a new fridge.  What is the condition of the 30 year doors, seals, etc?

It may cost $2k for a new gas/electric fridge, but you could install a household refrigerator and an inverter and extra batteries for less.

The fridge is in good shape. Doors, seals etc. Worked great then stored for 1 month and nothing. Didn't know repair would be so much. Thanks

Many would swap out for a "Residential" Fridge. Not sure I'll do that when the time comes.

Amish cooling unit. Replaces just the "Guts" not the box. about half the price of a new box.

A new cooling unit is a bolt-on replacement that you can do yourself with hand tools (and a helper). For the size fridge used in your 1990 coach, a new replacement cooling unit costs around $650-$750 for the hardware. Shipping and installation labor extra. I suspect an RV shop would charge you several hundred dollars to do the work, but get some quotes.  However, any competent handyman could do it - there is nothing "RV" about it, nor are any classic refrigeration skills needed.

Check prices for your fridge model at the site below.  I advise "new Amish Built" rather than "Remanufactured" or "New OEM built".
https://www.rvcoolingunit.com/

I replaced the cooling unit in my 1994 Norcold with a Artic Cool new cooling unit.
The hardest part was getting the refrigerator out of the motorhome, it just barely made it through the door.
The replacement cooling unit was relatively easy to change out. But then again I repair lawnmowers for a living.
After the replacement that refrigerator worked like new.  It is a two person job to get the unit in and out of the motorhome.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom