this connection is for 110/125 volt ac supply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betterdays

I have the following sign & two outlets on the outside of my trailer. Is it supposed to supply me power when I connected to shore, or am I supposed to plug shore power into it?

Attachments

• 20180922_075140.jpg
    20180922_075140.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 87
The only shore power I've seen is a female outlet connection, so I don't understand how I would do that. Am I supposed to have a male-to-male cord or something?

betterdays said:
The only shore power I've seen is a female outlet connection, so I don't understand how I would do that. Am I supposed to have a male-to-male cord or something?

Take a picture of that. Usually, the shore power connection will be on the rear of the RV or on the drivers side.

I have a 240 volt plug on the 'driver' side of the trailer that I've been using for 30 amp shore power. However, I have the two female outlets on the other side of the trailer with the placard I posted as an image attachment.

I thought those two outlets would be for plugging things into like lights/etc when connected to shore, but they don't work. So then I thought based on the wording maybe shore was supposed to be plugged into it but I don't understand that.

betterdays said:
I have a 240 volt plug on the 'driver' side of the trailer that I've been using for 30 amp shore power. However, I have the two female outlets on the other side of the trailer with the placard I posted as an image attachment.

I thought those two outlets would be for plugging things into like lights/etc when connected to shore, but they don't work. So then I thought based on the wording maybe shore was supposed to be plugged into it but I don't understand that.

Those 2 outlets could be either a circuit breaker has tripped or a GFCI has tripped.  Check you breakers in your entrance panel first. Sometimes they've tripped and it doesn't look like it. You need to shut them off then flip to back on. If that doesn't work, you need to find the GFCI which has tripped.  Outside outlets and outlets near a water source like a sink will be GFCI protected.
What do you have for a RV?  Go into your profile and create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you. I may help later on when you have more questions. 

None of the outlets have GFCI on them. Is that handled in a different way on smaller trailers? It's a 2012 Riverside Whitewater 130

I thought those two outlets would be for plugging things into like lights/etc when connected to shore, but they don't work.

Since you already have your 30 amp cord identified, then "plugging things into" is exactly what they are for. So do what Rene suggests just above -- you need to troubleshoot there, then report results back here to find if there are other suggestions on how to proceed.

betterdays said:
None of the outlets have GFCI on them. Is that handled in a different way on smaller trailers? It's a 2012 Riverside Whitewater 130

The GFCI is usually inside the RV not outside.
Also you mentioned you have 30 AMP. That is not 240 Volt AC. It is 120 Volt AC. Don't get confused with the typical 30 AMP outlet used for a welder or a compressor in the garage. Those are 240 Volt AC. If you have a electrician install a 30 AMP outlet for you, he has to know that it's for a RV and it will be 120 VOLT AC not 240.

YOu have both INLETS and OUTLETS. open the door and you will see one of three things.

A connecter with 3 Curved blades
A connector that looks like a PLUG
A cord with a plug on it.

This is the INLET. If it looks like a plug (or is a plug) it is an INLET)

Now if it were an OUTLET.. It would look like the hole in the wall at home (or inside) that is two slots and a hole..   

Assuming it is a standard "plug" type inlet (two blades and a round or "U" shaped pin) just plug a standard 12 ga Estension cord's outlet on to it.. And plut the other end into the parks' 20 amp hole in the box.

betterdays said:

The confusion is that label is usually next to the INLET for the shore power ... the "240" volt plug you mentioned.

Since there's a regular duplex outlet behind that cover like what you'd have in your house, you're correct ... it's meant to plug a light, fan, etc. into it when you're plugged into shore power.

About that "240" volt plug ... if it has two angled flat blades and a ROUND ground pin, it's a 120 volt 30 amp plug.  It looks very similar to a 240 volt dryer plug, except for the shape of the ground pin.  Don't plug it into a 240 volt dryer outlet or you'll fry stuff in the trailer!

betterdays said:

There are two ways to handle GFCI.  One way is with it built into the outlet.  The other way is with it built into the circuit breaker.

In your house, they usually use the outlet type INSIDE for convenience - you don't have to go down in the basement to reset it if it pops.  But CFGI outlets have problems outdoors exposed to the weather, so OUTDOORS they usually use plain outlets with CFGI breakers.

Your trailer probably has it built into the breaker.

You can also have a GFCI outlet inside the trailer, then have additional plain outlets daisy-chained beyond it that share it's GFCI protection.

Look in the kitchen or bathroom for a GFCI outlet that's tripped.

Lou Schneider said:
You can also have a GFCI outlet inside the trailer, then have additional plain outlets daisy-chained beyond it that share it's GFCI protection.

Look in the kitchen or bathroom for a GFCI outlet that's tripped.

And in that case ^^^^^^, at least on most of the newer trailers, there will be a small sticker on the face of the receipt. that states "this equipment is GFCI protected".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom