Looking for a Really Bright Flashlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark-M

Does anyone have a really bright flashlight (i.e >1,000 Lumens) that they really like?  I've had several of the smaller tactical styles ($10-$20 range) that profess to be really bright but they fall well short of what I've been looking for.  Amazon is rife with these types that claim superior brightness but they don't come close to what I'm looking for.

I have a 4 D Cell Maglight as well but is not much better that the smaller ones I've had.

This is what many law enforcement agencies use now days. Cost a bit more, but there is a reason.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/flashlights

I agree about Pelican's....very good lights for sure....although mine is from the days before LED, but they were by far superior to standard incandescent lights.... I even used them scuba diving.  I have no experience with their LED models though

About the best I've had recently was a store branded AA model from the now gone Gander Mountain chain.  It was a very good light but after several years of fairly regular use knocking around in my truck it started to get glitchy...

I've been looking at lights from Fenix but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I've seen lots of good reviews though.  My personal preference has been AA lights generally.  Small but the batteries hold enough energy.  AAA batteries don't hold has much in the tank, and I despise the idea of lights with the specialty high dollar batteries, like a lot of the streamlites.  I always hated rechargeable ones too, for the same reason.  Lately though, I've been coming around to reconsider a rechargeable one, now that they are USB.

Well I think it is Streamlight that compets with Mag. I've got a 4 or 5 cell. I also have a Big LED flashlight that does a fair job. and some of the "Tac-Light" 1200 lumen jobs that run on 3 AA or AAA's or a rechargable battery

10 bucks at a truck stop plus battery and charger from Batteries +

Lost one of 'em. gave one as a gift (it's only 800 lumen) 

1200 Lumen is a 100 watt Household light bulb  the flashlight is about 3 watts. as I recall (1 amp at 3 volts) and  I agree with the O/P.. not as bright as advertised.  Still. when I focus, with a fresh charge.. It does a decent job.

I met a gent about 2 weeks ago. He was so proud of his new LED flashlight.
Told me all about it.
Supposed to be 25000 lumens but it is very pricey. (I almost made inappropriate comment about fools and their money when told.)
Just out of curiosity, I did go to the website, https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-x9r-marauder for a look.

If you really have a use for bright light, it appears this might meet the need.
Bright enough to be a weapon.

Hope this helps

All,

Thanks for all the responses.

Looked at the Pelican's but surprisingly pretty few of their published outputs are above 1,000 Lumens, but the two I looked at (>1,000 Lumens) were $160 to $270.  Hard to justify those $$.

Agree on the AA vs. AAA battery supply (AA=better) but I too have been enticed by the USB chargeables so I too am looking at Fenix.  I can justify something between $30-$100 (well at least to myself, DW not so much).  While there is certainly a lot of functionality with these, the "toy factor" certainly is up there so this is more of a forgiveness vs. permission buy. ;)

Mark-M said:
I can justify something between $30-$100 (well at least to myself, DW not so much).  While there is certainly a lot of functionality with these, the "toy factor" certainly is up there so this is more of a forgiveness vs. permission buy. ;)

Not a flashlight but we really love our Stanley FATMAX spotlight. Darned thing is BRIGHT and has two power modes. Also has a support stand, red filter and is rechargeable. I take it with me every night when I go out to walk the dog around 11p and can often spot deer several hundred yards away. Also scares the crap out of any coyotes that might be hanging around.  ;D

It also runs for a LONG time on a single charge-- many days with occasional use has been my experience.

We use these at work:

https://www.amazon.com/Utilitech-1000-Lumen-Handheld-Battery-Flashlight/dp/B01EI0YAKS

I picked them up at the local Lowe's.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
You want bright, take a look at Malkoff Devices.  I've modded several Surefire and Mag Light flashlights with his LEDS.  Awesome light output.  And now he's building complete flashlights.  His stuff is pro grade, but it ain't cheap.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/

Thanks for this.  I've got a couple of multi "D" cell mag lights I'll be converting soon(probably one at a time :) )

I just use a ~$40 flashlight from Menards....  LED, and 1000+ lumens.  Guidesman I think the brand is.

Ozark Trail @ Walmart & Bushnell also @ Walmart  make some BRIGHT flashlights. 1250Lum for $50.

I have the Ozark Trail 500 Lum cost me $50 4 years ago in store. Mine uses 6 AA bats and it?s bright and lasts a long time.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-TRKR-T1250L-Multi-Color-Lights-LED-Aluminum-Flashlight-with-Batteries/49840412?athcpid=49840412&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-46cfa622-849a7a89a18a716&athena=true

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom