Heavier tires for half ton pickup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just about any brand name truck tire that meets or exceeds the load rating for your vehicle should work fine for you. Since you drive mostly on paved roads, you don't need an aggressive tread pattern which means you'll have less road noise and maybe a tiny bit better gas mileage. Don't stress out over whether or not you've got the perfect truck tire. However, you should not change tire size to a bigger diameter. That changes the gear ratio and works your engine and transmission much harder.

I've got a Dodge Durango with a 4.7L engine. It works fine for towing my 24 ft TT with a gross weight of 4,600 lbs. But, I would love to have a 5.9L Hemi like you do. You've got plenty of power for your TT.

Happy trails!

nibroc said:
trade it for a dodge cummins and never look back
Forget the little Dodge pickie-up trucks........Go Freightliner or go home.  ;)

Wind and truck buffs may get better but they do not go away.

Sorry... Just went and check the site and yeah Cooper AT/3 LT is one of the tire i was thinking of....Also General Grabber HTS60 and Mich M/S

Appears to be some confusion about tire design and load ratings.
The sidewall of the tire carries the load of the truck and trailer. Tread provides traction.
Passenger (P rated tires) have soft side walls to improve ride comfort. They absorb road imperfections better and give a smoother ride in the cab. But they have little resistance to side load. 

Truck tires (LT rated tires) have stiffer sidewalls and come in a variety of ratings, C, D, E, etc. They are designed to carry a load without deflection like passenger tires. Thus a stiffer ride. The stiffer sidewall also reduces, and in some cases eliminate sway.

A video that explains the difference between P, LT, and ST tires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6SwwRnmp1Q

rpmjem44 said:
I'm aware of it but unfortunately Cooper At3 Lt don't have my size.... 275/60r20... Ko2? Michelin M/S?

Your 'exact' size is not the important part.  the overall height of the tire is the important thing for all the computer data, gear ratios etc.
if you look at a tire size conversion chart you will see a tire that may be a different size designation, width, and load rating,  but the same overall height.

many guys with 20" rims get rid of them because there's no selection of good truck tires.

IBTripping said:
Agree with Sightseers, but want to clarify that "height" also means diameter of the tire.

Yes, you are correct....tire diameter is the same as tire height.

but tire height/diameter has little to do with rim diameter....

and most tire designations are simply listed with aspect ratio and rim diameter. 

( tire diameters change too... ;) )

As you can see, there is not necessarily a "best" size or brand of tire... lots of varied experiences and opinions. The most important aspect is what your specific towing needs are, and the tires stats/measurements that will meet those needs.

Just about all major tire manufacturers have some sort of publication with industry standards outlined for all to use. Some of those documents are cumbersome causing the reader to thumb thru pages of information to eke out the information they are searching for. Others put condensed information in smaller documents and periodically publish them as bulletins and such. Here are links to a couple of the shorter ones.

http://www.sumitomotire.com/upload/documents/Tech-PlusSizingGuidelines_from_2388_2017_TBCB_CATALOG_2018-Sumitomo-Consumer_0118.pdf

https://www.toyotires.com/media/1500/tsd-12-011_replacing_tires_on_light_trucks.pdf

Back
Top Bottom