Hitch Receiver Adaptor for F250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpireone

Relative newby here, asking what may be a question with a simple answer.  I have a 2016 25ft Pioneer travel Trailer.  Enjoyed towing it with a 2016 F150 Lariat-for a short time.  Moved up to a 2019 F250 Lariat 4 x 4 (should have bought one in the first place!) and need to adapt/lower the hitch receiver so I can get the connect the  Weight Distribution Hitch tot he trailer.  There is about a 12" difference between the current receiver on the truck and the trailer.  What has me puzzled is the tongue weight rating on the adaptors I have sourced.  The most I can find is 400lbs.  My trailer weighs in dry at about 7500.  Am I missing something?  The towing capacity is listed at 10K on the adaptors, but the tongue weight seems to be my stumbling block.

Sounds like you may need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Safe-Adjustable-Stainless-Double-pin/dp/B0792L6KQC/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1537970539&sr=1-5&keywords=drop+hitch

The ratings you are finding seem odd. Each manufacturer of weight distributing hitches (Reese, Equal-i-zer, etc.) makes longer extensions (commonly called shanks or draw bars) with the appropriate weight ratings for your situation. I would contact your specific company to see what they have available.

So you need to lower the ball about 12" (give or take)? I suggest just getting a longer drop hitch shank. And if your new truck has the 2 1/2" receiver opening be sure to order the 2 1/2" shank.
Note that if you get a new shank, the bolts that hold the ball head part to the shank need to be torqued when installed on the new shank. My Eaz Lift ball head bolts require about 250 ft lbs of torque per bolt.

Umpireone said:
Relative newby here, asking what may be a question with a simple answer.  I have a 2016 25ft Pioneer travel Trailer.  Enjoyed towing it with a 2016 F150 Lariat-for a short time.  Moved up to a 2019 F250 Lariat 4 x 4 (should have bought one in the first place!) and need to adapt/lower the hitch receiver so I can get the connect the  Weight Distribution Hitch tot he trailer.  There is about a 12" difference between the current receiver on the truck and the trailer.  What has me puzzled is the tongue weight rating on the adaptors I have sourced.  The most I can find is 400lbs.  My trailer weighs in dry at about 7500.  Am I missing something?  The towing capacity is listed at 10K on the adaptors, but the tongue weight seems to be my stumbling block.
Umpireone
What is the tongue weight of your 7,500 lb trailer?

X2 on replacing the hitch shank for a longer one instead of adding an adapter. The adapter increases the number of sliding connections in the hitch, and every connection adds some slop and play.

Here's an example of a longer shank.  At the bottom of the page are similar products for different hitches.

Back
Top Bottom