Ideas for vehicles that have 7000lb + towing capacity.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debitante

Hi All!  I have a 4000# pound, 22 ft travel trailer (dry weight)  and a 2001 Ford 150 6cyl/4.2 liter truck (5500# max towing capacity).  The truck doesn't quite do the trick over mountain passes or when semi's blow past me.

I'm looking at buying a used truck or Tahoe/Expedition/etc that would have more towing capacity.   
I think a  2006 is in my price range since I only use it during the summer months to tow the trailer. (I don't want to have a $10K+  truck sitting in storage for 9 months. )
The large SUV's seem to be more affordable than trucks but I have read they have a shorter wheel base...but since my trailer is only 22' is that a big issue? 
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

First, because you already have the whole rig.... Take it and weight it.... and then weight just the truck... That will give you an accurate weight for your TT (Travel Trailer) - and get the weight of the truck with the TT attached, but with the TT not on the scale (that will give you your tongue weight) there is a whole article in the Library on doing this... I'm in process of doing this myself...

Then.... There is a place card on the door of the trucks you will be looking at (I have added my TV - tow vehicle's to the photos)
Start with the GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and subtract all you will be putting in the truck... gas, people, equipment... then add the REAL weight of your TT and give yourself 1,000lbs of wiggle room for comfort.

I would start looking at 2500s (250) - consider the ones without all the perks first... those perks cost weight

Attachments

• Astro Door Specs..png
    Astro Door Specs..png
    166.9 KB · Views: 3
As suggested, you really need the loaded trailer weight to determine how much tow capacity is enough.

Your main complaint seems to be hill climbing performance, and that's not surprising with a 4.2LV6.  Most F150's with the 4.2L are maxed out at 5000-5800 lbs and you are probably right up against that, especially with a couple passengers, the trailer hitch and some gear in the truck.  I'd be looking for something rated more like 7000 lbs, preferably with a small V8 instead of the V6 (more grunt at the lower rpms for climbing those grades). 

I don't think the SUV wheelbase is a concern with a 22-25 ft trailer.

My 2005 Yukon XL would pull that nice.  I'm good to 8200 lbs, and my TT is 21', dry weight is 5100, loaded probably 6100, so plenty room left.  I wouldn't pull a 25' in the mountains, or more than 7000#. 

Welcome to the Forum!!

Get it weighed. 
1  Entire rig weight
2  Truck on the scale with trailer connected, but NOT on scale
3  Truck only on scale, trailer disconnected.

GCW is 1 Gross Combined Weight.
1 minus 3 is weight of TT
2 minus 3 is hitch wt
2 is truck GVW  Gross Vehicle Weight

As you know, you need something with a tow rating ABOVE the actual camper weight!!

Big SUV should do the job for this camper, but may not pull anything much bigger.

I would say any good sized suv or pickup truck will pull that trailer without problems. It seems the motor size is your issue. If your truck had the bigger engine, it would be lots of truck. My friends older Envoy  suv was rated to pull almost 11000 lbs with 300 hp. My 2012 tundra is rated for 10400 with 380 hp. I tow 8000 lbs all the time easily. I would say any full sized vehicle with a decent sized eight cylinder would be lots. The bigger hp sure is nice for on ramps and big hills.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom