What's in your traveling toolbox?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

I've put together a toolbox for our RV that has all the basic tools one might expect to find-- screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, etc. etc.- -stuff like that. Being new to the RV scene I'm thinking that there's likely a number of items that more experienced RVers carry with them that I have not thought about. Such as... ?

I have a bit more than that, but I never leave the yard without having my compact Milwaukee cordless drill and 1/2" impact set. It has a nice carry bag, and will also hold a drill index (29 bit size), and plastic box with about 200 different 1/4" drive bits and extension.

Basic hand tools, screwdriver with multiple tips, assortment of 3/8 drive sockets and wrench and a good drill/driver with bits and driver tips. I also carry a multi-meter, spare fuses, electrical and duct tape, an assortment of screws as well as some sealant and some eternabond tape. On longer trips, I also keep the large sockets and wrenches needed to check/tighten the hitch hardware periodically. And don?t forget a lug wrench and jack suitable for your trailer.  Oh yes, also a hatchet and small folding shovel (e-tool) for use with a campfire.

Junk drawer!  Pen paper(you might even want to write a journal of your adventures). Duct tape- I like the bright orange to make things easier to see. Paper clips,Scotch tape,clothespin,rope,batteries,flashlight. 

Basic hand tools and mechanics tools, along with duct tape, bailing wire, zip ties, pop rivets, fuses, wire and connectors, light bulbs and most importantly....a cell phone with roadside service # programmed into it.

All you need is duct tape and WD-40.
If it moves and should not, use Duct tape.
If it does not move and should, use WD-40

Actually, good lists above.  Include a #2 square drive bit for the drill.  It fits most RV screws.

Voltmeter/multimeter for troubleshooting electrical

Not real tools but don't forget;
Electrical tape
Fuses for RV and car
O-rings for water hoses and spigots
Commercial velcro
Double Sided Tape

Every thing except the kitchen sink, but at least the tools are there to work on it.

No matter what you have in it, there will always be some thing that you need and don't have.

If you get a new RV, I guarantee you the socket you have for your old water heater anode will be the wrong size for the new one !

Jack L

And all this is available at your local Harbor Freight at decent prices and value.

I have a small assortment of screws and nails, seems I always need to fix something.

Table saw, band saw, small mig welder, bridgeport, drill press, bench grinder, skill saw, saber saw, router, hand grinders, drummel, bernz-o-matic torch, work bench with vice etc.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Rene T said:
Table saw, band saw, small mig welder, bridgeport, drill press, bench grinder, skill saw, saber saw, router, hand grinders, drummel, bernz-o-matic torch, work bench with vice etc.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Rene, did you buy Bill's stacker trailer?

I carry enough tools that I can change the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing on a Jeep if I need to.  Don't ask how I know.

i carry a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) with a 12" pruning blade is great for collecting and cutting up fire wood. The sides of the unpaved roads in the national forests are often littered with downed trees. This cuts wood almost as fast as a chain saw, is a lit less messy, and occasionally has other uses. To split my wood, I have a 14" splitting maul.

Joel

I'm going to add:
Teflon tape
a couple of adjustable wrenches (usually kits include one... I always seem to need two!)
a set of good gripped gloves (they fit tight, mostly waterproof and have really good grip)

Only a year into RVing but I have always carried one of those cheap "kits" in my van... My suggestion would be to record what is in those kits and buy all of the parts separately as the tools in the "kits" are poorly made... I have been replacing each of these items as I destroy them.

ALSO, Always return your kit items back to the kit tool box!!! my old "kit" had better made tools and they slowly disappeared.... found out the DH thought it would be easier to just borrow from my "kit" ... it was easier until he had to come and rescue me because I opened the "kit" and there was a tool I needed MISSING  :mad:

Rene T said:
Thanks for reminding me. I also forgot the jointer, shaper, planner and dovetail machine. That should do it.

Very interesting. Taking the Boy Scout motto quite seriously I see. Just wondering if you've checked your GCWR lately??  ;D

If I knew how to properly operate the aforementioned tools, I?d probably have them.....I?ve got pretty-much everything else!  ;) 

Back
Top Bottom