Re-roofing - how remove old adhesive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLOWR426

Hello, all.  I just removed my old EPDM roof membrane off my 2001 Thor Tahoe toy hauler.  Do I need to remove the old adhesive residue from the luan?  What?s the best way?

Thank you!
Glenn

Probably not, if it is firm and dry. If still gooey, I would try wiping with rags dampened with mineral spirits.

If the old adhesive is dry, it can usually be sanded if you need to smooth it out more.  Use a coarse, open-kote style sandpaper to reduce clogging the grit on the paper.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I would try wiping with rags dampened with mineral spirits.

Would a heat gun and a scraper work? (I'm not a big fan of sandpaper.)

Putting a new coat of rubber roof liquid on my 1999 30 ft rv but it says it wont adhere to silicone caulking whick is every where got bunch off but having hard time getting rest off what is best way to take off silicone need to do before it gets to cold for roofing please help

I used a heat gun and plastic putty knife to remove the Dicor on my roof, there was still some on the roof but that was ok for what I need to do. Might have to do as suggested above to remove it completely.

Scrape as much as you can using SMR's technique.  I've made scrapers out of a piece of hardwood (maple or oak) by sanding a chisel blade on one end. Works better than plastic, in my opinion.  Then use mineral spirits or isopropyl alcohol on dampened rags to clean up the residue. It may take awhile.
You can use a metal putty knife or scraper if you like, but be VERY cautious about damaging the soft material underneath.  It only takes one OOOPS! to make a hole.  On the other hand, you are probably going to put lap sealant over it anyway, and that would seal any slits or gouges.

My question is similar but different in that the silicone coating is on an aluminum roof. I'm thinking I need to scrape that off using an oscillating scraper, then clean it in order to get a nice coat of Heng's Aluminum Coating on it.

Any recommendations would be great :)

Also, I don't know if I can work on the roof in conditions like what we're having in Indiana at the moment (below freeing, think 15 degrees).

The old sealer will be brittle at those temps, so may chip off a bit easier, but I think I would wait for warmer weather to clean off the residue.  Besides, who wants to work outdoors in 15 degree weather?

Perhaps think about putting another layer of Luan right over the old

Back
Top Bottom