2014 Heartland Bighorn help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrueArrow83

Howdy guys!

We recently got this 2014 Bighorn and since our work hours are very odd the dealership didn't do a walkthrough for us.

Winter is setting in and I'm wondering about stuff freezing.  I've looked through paperwork that came with it but it isn't much help.  Does anyone know if there's a heated underbelly?  Also it's got a fantastic fan in the kitchen area, it's switched on as far as I can tell on the unit but I only know how to make it open by turning on the heater from one of the two thermostats that control heat for the kitchen area. 

The 2 thermostats are right next to eachother...one is honeywell that also turns the fantastic fan on for a bit.  The other is a dometic that does not turn on the fantastic fan, but also controls heat and ac.  I'm confused...

We are fairly new to RVs in general, started full timing for work just last year.  Before this one, we had a 30ft camper.

Welcome to the Forum!

My FW has the same two side by side thermostat setup.

Fantastic Fan: The system works by first having the fan ON (done).  From there the THERMOSTAT controls operation.  If it is 60 deg and the thermostat is on 80 deg, nothing happens.  If it is 90 deg , then the thermostat will trigger the fan to open and turn on to the speed set at the fan.  When things cool below set point, fan goes off and the lid closes.

The Dometic stat controls one A/c and the furnace.

Are you still full time in this rig or will it be stored for the winter?  Where are you located?

If you are living in it for the winter, no need to winterize. If the underside is enclosed, and in a moderate climate, then the furnace should take care of most freezing concerns.

Ask any question you have.  We are here to help.

Thanks for your reply grashley!

Ok so, you can have both thermostats on at the same time?  Just keep them both at the same temp?  I know when it starts getting colder humidity inside will be an issue.

Right now we are in northern PA, temps already falling to 40s.  We will be full timing all winter and beyond.  The underbelly is enclosed, so I'm good there it seems.  I remember winter in the camper was pretty bleak, everything froze!

If stuck, try becoming  a member of the owners forum....

https://www.heartlandowners.org/forum.php

You can have both thermostats on, but they operate different appliances.  I usually set the fan 'stat OFF and use heat or A/C  OR  turn heat and A/C off and activate fan to keep things cooler.

Bales of straw or similar wind break around the bottom of the camper will help protect the underbelly and keep you warmer.
Since you will be there for some time, consider getting a 100# propane tank delivered and serviced.  It will simplify life!
There are many more winterizing suggestions in various threads here.

grashley said:
You can have both thermostats on, but they operate different appliances.  I usually set the fan 'stat OFF and use heat or A/C  OR  turn heat and A/C off and activate fan to keep things cooler.

Bales of straw or similar wind break around the bottom of the camper will help protect the underbelly and keep you warmer.
Since you will be there for some time, consider getting a 100# propane tank delivered and serviced.  It will simplify life!
There are many more winterizing suggestions in various threads here.

Oh ok, I don't know why the fan stat turned on the heater last time I tried it.  I was under the impression that the fantastic fan was supposed to sense humidity and open haha. 

We will get a big propane tank once back home, but for now we're at a campground.  The hay bales sound like a good idea.

Thsnks for all your help!

The fan in my six & brig bathroom senses humidity, but not the one in my camper  ;D

As I understand, in temperate areas, like this week here, I can set the fan to 75 deg.  During the day, when things warm up, it opens and pulls cooler outside air into the FW.  When it cools off in the evening, it turns off and closes.

I see and have played with it a bit today.  Being from south tx It's not in my nature to not be using the AC lol.  Surprisingly, the fan worked well to keep the rig cool when the sun beat down on it. 

Back
Top Bottom