Best route Las Vegas, NM to Sioux Falls, SD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Coming up with 3 routes, Hiway 25 connecting to 76 NE of Fort Collins, CO, the second one splitting off on Hiway 287 at La Junta and zig-zagging over towards Grand Island, and the third splitting off Hiway 25 at Springer and taking Hiway 412 and others up through Dodge City. I will be in a pickup towing a medium sized utility trailer. The last route takes 20 minutes longer otherwise they are all pretty close. Looking for the easiest, smoothest drive.

Thanks

Street Atlas came up with I-15 to I-70 to the Denver west side bypass to I-25 to I-76 to I-80 to I-29 to Sioux Falls as the quickest.  The shortest was I15 to I-80 then east to Walcott WY and continue on US 30 to Walcott WY then US 30 to I-29 and go south to US 18 then east to Lusk WY where you pickup US 20.  You stay on US20 to Gordon NE where you change to US 18 to Sioux Falls.

Myself, I would do I-15 to I-80 to I-29 to Sioux Falls.

!-70 has a high altitude pass and so does I-80 but I believe I-80 is considered the easier drive especially eastbound.

Whatever suits your driving.

Thanks Jim, appreciate it, however the route is from Las Vegas **NM** so unfortunately no big freeways to pick from. Well, actually there are, but it adds almost 200 miles to go up through Denver then over on 80.

I can't comment on the other routes, other than to say that the two lane highways I've been on in New Mexico are pretty decent, but the last few times I was on I-76, though a lot of it is nice road, there is one segment of a number of miles that has some pretty rough road, as in "slow down rough," and that's in two different DPs with the air suspension, one 45 feet and one 38 feet. Pretty good jolts.

It's been a while, so I don't know if they've fixed that or not.

Howdy Scott!

I made that drive earlier this summer with the coach and Jeep in tow.  I was NOT looking for fast and took 412 out of Springer, NM to Clayton, NM, Salina, KS, and Omaha, NE.  There is nothing terribly fast about these secondary roads but they are pretty good condition, very little traffic (compared to Interstates), and generally relaxing to drive.  I wouldn't call this route super-scenic but, if you are able to find some beauty in every place, it isn't too bad either.

I've also driven the Trinidad to LaJunta route - kinda weaving my way across the plains and it was also fine.  As above, lots of small towns to slow down for so not screaming fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom