RV Cover or Shrink Wrap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris1980

Looking for some advice...

We bought a used 2008 Jayfeather this Spring (first true RV) and I'm winterizing it this weekend.  I was planning on getting a cover for it as I store it outdoors but was wondering if it would be better to shrink wrap it every year instead?  I live in Michigan and our winters are pretty cold and we get a solid 70-80 inches of snow each year where I am.  Has anyone had their RVs shrink-wrapped before and is it better or worse than getting a cover?

Thanks for the advice!

A cover breathes.  That is important or you will mold inside.  I would never encapsulate a Trailer. 

I cover mine, with a cover off Amazon.  Kinda a pain to install, many will argue that it is not necessary, but I do it to keep the sun off the graphics as well.  The roof part is extra reinforced, I still feel that water / snow gets under it and freezes.  It also has zippers so I can get into it.  I take swim noodles and blue tape, and protect any sharp edges.

I'd stay away from shrink wrapping.  Consider how a boat is done - the use some wooden frames to support the wrap and give it slope to shed water/snow.  The wrap doesn't touch the boat much, except where it goes over the gunwale and secures against the hull.

In an RV application, I'd be worried about mildew, as mentioned above, but also possible paint damage from rubbing.  Also, if the installers aren't really careful, I'd imagine it would be easy to shrink the material enough to bend or damage stuff on the roof. 

My vote is a quality cover.  I'd be worried about shrink all winter.

I haven't winterized yet, but I hear light tarping and periodic monitoring is best.. (my plan)

I am a little north of you in Amherstburg, Ontario....
I have a friend with a 5th wheel and she does neither (for the last 10 years) ... she has windows cracked open and checks the interior regularly .... The 5th is in beautiful shape and If I had the TV I'd buy it from her...

I would recommend a cover with the zippers so you can check on things ver the winter.

Are the graphics still in good shape?  I don't want to cover our fiver.  The graphics are all ready peeling and faded.  Maybe one day we'll paint it,who knows.

Back
Top Bottom