TRUCK PIGTAIL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

I joined here so I did not repeat common camping errors.  Instead, I can find new, novel ways to screw up!  I just did!
I have not seen this issue on the Forum since I joined, but I did it.

Disconnecting from the camper, I disconnected the umbilical cord and dropped it in the bed (plug is in sidewall of the bed), then pulled the truck forward to clear the tailgate.  The cord caught between the bed and tailgate, stretching it a couple inches more that was willing to go!  I backed up, relieved tension and moved the plug, but where it enters the electrical box on the camper, it was sparking and smoking!  I quickly killed both shore and battery power.  The stretched wire had grounded a large black (hot) wire in the pigtail.

When I opened the box, a red wire nut fell out.  After removing all electrical tape, it appears the real damage is limited to the black wire and one adjacent brake wire.  HOWEVER, 1.  I have a yellow wire coming from the pigtail that is not attached to anything, and appears to have never been attached.  Since the other end is sealed, I can not tell where it goes.

There is a white wire with a crimped end which appears to have been grounded to the box.  However, the box was NOT screwed to the hitch box, although broken screws indicated it may have been at one time.  It was hanging by the wires to the camper (top) and the umbilical cord clamp (side) a couple inches from the box. 2.  Should the box be more firmly attached and  3. should it be grounded to this white wire?  All white wires in the box are wire nut together.

4.  Is the tension placed on the pigtail a cause for concern in and of itself?  I have not checked continuity.

There is plenty of slack to allow reconnection, so that is not an issue.

The yellow wire is the center pin and it is the auxiliary and sometimes it's for backup lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKY2hl0DSV8

Back
Top Bottom