[SOLVED] Why is hot air blowing through furnace while off??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisrice

My father in law has a 1997 Minnie Winnie. It's gas, on a Ford E series chassis.

While the engine is running, there is hot air blowing into the coach through the furnace registers. It's blowing in pretty good on one that is directly under the stove.  One other (under the couch) has some hot air also. The third one (also under couch) has none.

The furnace isn't running.

It stops when you turn the engine off.

Any thoughts how to stop this? We're in So. California... it's about 100 today.  The A/C is running, and we got hot air too... weird!

Thanks!
Chris Rice

Since a Minnie Winnie is very small I guess its possible that the coach ducts were hooked up to the engine heater from the factory, or added later. A look underneath would show if that is the case.

Woody

I have a 1991 ultrastar and what got me one summer I had heat blowing while the furnace was off. I found out there is a switch on the instrument cluster that starts a electric heater. Wish I found that out sooner I like heat but when its 90 out ehheheheheheh.
Hope it helps
Brian

chrisrice said:
While the engine is running, there is hot air blowing into the coach through the furnace registers. It's blowing in pretty good on one that is directly under the stove.  One other (under the couch) has some hot air also. The third one (also under couch) has none.

Chris,

Most Winnebago motor homes have engine coolant piped back to both a heat exchanger and the water heater. This heat exchanger has a blower controlled by a three-position (high-off-low) switch on the dash. Find it (usually is labeled rear heat) and turn it off. That should eliminate the heat in the coach.

I'll also guess that your FIL has hot water when he arrives at his destination. That's a nice feature until he has to replace the water heater--then it increases the replacement price considerably.

Let us know what you figure out.

Richard

We have a Winnebago Class A. It has the lever on the dash Richard wrote about. It's very easy to bump the lever, moving it from Off to High or Low and, voila, hot air shooting out the vent. Ours only vents into the bedroom but manys the time I went to the back of the MH and yelled at Mike because it was hot back there....sure enough, that silly lever was no longer on "off."

Wendy
94 in SW Colorado

Sounds like the experts here on Winnebago systems may have solved your problem.  Least we hope so.  Let us know how it works.

Thank you!!

It turns out that there is a 3 position switch that we've never noticed before. It's located right at knee level on the dash board. It is the fan switch for the heater to the rear of the coach.

It sure is nice not having the A/C and heater on at the same time now.

Thank you all so much for the help! I'll go back to feeling like a dunce now  ;)

Chris

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad we could help.  No need for like a dunce.  Remmember we are all students and we have opportunities to learn all the time.  Like I use to tell my flight students. "When they get so good they can't learn anymore only occurs when they are ready for burial." ;D

Sincerely happy you solved the problem.  Wish they where all that simple.  I can tell by the messages that the Culprit was Wendy cause she never fore warned you of the possible situation..  LOL  LOL

Glad it was something so simple. And don't feel like a dunce....we know about the lever and still bump it sometimes and then can't figure out why it's so hot in the back of the motorhome.

And Shayne, this was a techno question and I don't do techno questions so it's not my fault. And besides, Richard answered first!

Wendy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom