Toad Jeep Cherokee Overland, or what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldedit

I'm considering a 2014 or newer Jeep Cherokee Overland as a toad for our 40-ft Newmar coach. Does anyone tow the Cherokee? How should it be outfitted to avert wobble problems? Have the wobble problems been resolved for newer models? Should Jeep's Mopar accessory kit 68321-424AB installed on a Cherokee. We will tow about 10,000 to 14,000 miles a year and drive about 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year in this vehicle. Best alternative to this model?

DW isn't able to climb into a pickup or Wrangler comfortably. So we need an SUV.
tia

We tow a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited and love it. Properly set up it takes less than 5 minutes to hook up and go. As far as I know, only the Cherokees had the "death wobble " problem. I would not tow a Grand Cherokee Overland myself with the air lift but that is my opinion.

gwcowgill said:
We tow a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited and love it. Properly set up it takes less than 5 minutes to hook up and go. As far as I know, only the Cherokees had the "death wobble " problem. I would not tow a Grand Cherokee Overland myself with the air lift but that is my opinion.

I have towed a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited with the air lift over 40,000 miles with absolutely no problems. Great car and easy to hookup. I use a Blue Ox towbar and base plate.

We bought a new 2017 Cherokee Overland edition  (not Grand Cherokee) a few months ago (it had been sitting on a dealer lot for a year, so we were able to buy it at a great price) with the intention of setting it up as a TOAD after my wife's car was totaled in an accident earlier this year.  We have not made it around to doing all of the towing modification yet, so I can't comment on that aspect of the Cherokee, though can say we intend to get the TSB anti wobble switch kit installed by a dealer.  What I can say is after a few months of use that we do like the Cherokee, it performs well, and the various bells and whistles on the Overland seem to work (active cruise control, lane centering, obstacle detection...).  Having said all that it may not be the best option for someone with mobility issues, depending on exactly what those issues are as I find it somewhat more difficult than I initially expected getting in and out, particularly on the passenger side.  It is hard to describe, but has to do with how deep the seat is, along with the relatively placement of the B pillar, it somewhat seems that the doorway is too far forward, and that he door frame gets in the way, particularly when the seat is pushed back for a taller person.

Ike

p.s. if you do get the Cherokee Overland be aware that Jeep offers a 1 owner / non transferable lifetime "Maximum Care" extended warranty on the Cherokee which can be bought for about $2,400.  Now I am not usually an extended warranty kind of guy, but given that we tend to keep cars for at least 7 or 8 years, and may likely keep this one to be used as a dedicated TOAD even when my wife gets a new car it seemed like something to consider. 

The reason I feel this extended warranty is probably a deal is due to all the bells and whistles on the Overland which are covered at the Maximum Care level.  Also Jeep prices all of their extended warranties for the Cherokee the same, meaning the cost of the Maximum care warranty is the same on a base 2WD Latitude with an MSRP of $24,000 as it is on an 4x4 V6 Overland with an MSRP of $48,000.

Thanks for the input. More replies will be useful because I have time to get this right.

Oldedit said:
Thanks for the input. More replies will be useful because I have time to get this right.

What did you end up buying?

In late September we bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite with the Nav& tech packages. 2019 Cherokees have revised steering mechanism and do not require the "RV Towing kit".  So far we are very pleased. 2600 miles towed and 2400 miles driven.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
What did you end up buying?

In late September we bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite with the Nav& tech packages. 2019 Cherokees have revised steering mechanism and do not require the "RV Towing kit".  So far we are very pleased. 2600 miles towed and 2400 miles driven.

ken

To avoid the "death wobble" caused by the electronic power steering (EPS) that Jeep introduced in 2014 models, I bought a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 55,000 miles. Today, I ordered from Camping World a Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar system and an Air Force One air brake for a little under $4,500 installed. Friends online and in the Newmar world highly recommended the Air Force setup. While I liked our Blue Ox tow bars, the Rampart looks like a better solution, and that's what Camping World sells and knows how to install. A friend has worked with the Golden, CO, CW rep, Kevin, on an Air Force One installation and recommended him highly.

Our Las Vegas forum friends gave us a test ride in their Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland a few years ago at a RV Forum rally near Amarillo. That made me want one.
The hard part was getting this project on my wife's calendar. :)

Congrats on the new Trailhawk. I wanted one, but we're also putting a new master bath in our home. So I "sacrificed". :) Actually, I'll only drive the Jeep 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year and tow about 10,000. No big deal.

Back
Top Bottom