rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Does anyone remember TENTS??  (Read 1139 times)

jymbee

• ---
Does anyone remember TENTS??
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:48:30 PM »
Apparently in years gone by people used to carry around-- sometimes on their backs-- these rather crude temporary shelters composed of so much nylon fabric supported by a system of poles. From what I can gather creature comforts were virtually non-existent. No hookups of any kind... only light after dark were candles or perhaps some kind of gas torch. Toilets? Either a walk in nearby woods or you're on your own in this shelter. I take it that despite what today seems like what must have been near prehistoric accommodations, people were quite taken with this form of "recreation", often forsaking any kind of vehicular transportation and simply setting off ON FOOT! Strange times indeed...      :o

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
Re: Does anyone remember TENTS??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 08:55:50 PM »
I was an active canoeist until I moved to Utah. In Utah I became a kind-of canoeist, but many of my friends are still ardent tent campers. I still tent camp when on multi-day river trips, but it has been over 2 years since my last one. The lights at night are generally firelight or headlamp these days, and the toilet is a wag bag for solids. Cooking on a camp stove or the fire. Sleeping on a lovely down filled air mattress it’s 4” of loft, covered up in a warm, soft down sleeping bag. Ummm. It doesn’t sound so bad after all!

Ok, I cheerfully admit I like my comforts. I can tent camp every year or two quite happily for 4-5 days, but after that I want my shower and a real toilet.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

captsteve

• ---
  • measure with a micrometer, cut with a chainsaw!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »
In these tent things, I heard they put themselves in a bag to sleep and had to actually talk to the people they went "camping" with how absolutely barbaric is that!!!
Capt Steve has the Conn, Trina navigator ( Admiral )
2004 American Revolution 40c (aka Fat Girl) **Sold**
2017 Ram 1500 (Future Toad)
Piper Archer II  (Where the RV money goes)

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »
Hmmm, something like this?  Copper River, Alaska, about 1986 or so.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:31:10 PM »
I just bought a new tent. Opens like an umbrella. 2 minute set up
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

jayc2640

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
I've tent camped in the snow.  When it was cold enough that we had two dogs inside the sleeping bag with us!  I've tent camped on a hilltop in Kentucky in a thunderstorm, when it was so wet we dug a trench around the tent.

IT SUCKED!!

I now am full-timing in a class a, and snow means I have to turn on the furnace, If it rains, I watch tv in the coach.

Tents were fine in my 30s, but now I'm approaching 60, and I no longer want to sleep on the ground.  For those that do, you're insane.
- John Coffey
2018 Winnebago Forza 38F
2016 Chevrolet Equinox

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 10:03:51 PM »
Lol that's great! I remember having to heat up water to bathe my babies in rubber maid bins, I had 3 in diapers. I thought it was ultra luxurious when I upgraded to an air mattress. Ahhhh, how far I've come! Lol
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
July 31, 2019- begin our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up

cadee2c

• ---
  • Follow your arrow wherever it points
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 11:00:29 PM »
As a kid, we never had tents. We just slept in sleeping bags on the ground. Then I had a van with an old twin mattress in it. For a short time we lived in an old 14 foot shasta trailer. My ex got that, so I got myself a small dome tent. When the ground got too hard, I got an air mattress which required getting a bigger tent. Then the mattress was too low to the ground, so I got an air mattress bed frame which required getting a bigger tent. I was really excited when I got my Luggable Loo which required getting an even bigger tent. After I had to leave all our camping gear at the campground to take my DH to the hospital with congestive heart failure, we got the RV.

I dont miss tent camping. :)
Caryl- Pilot
Mister Hank - Co-pilot and homeland security

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

May the Llama of Happiness forever spit in your direction

JackL

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 05:00:02 AM »
We still use one.
 We go as far as we can with the RV and then that becomes our base camp and we take off with the tent either paddling our back packing

jack L

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 05:07:09 AM »
I sure remember tents. I hung up my keys five years ago and stopped traveling. I decided to visit California for a vacation and drove my car and stayed in motels. I spent time at Grand Canyon, Zion and Pinnacles National Parks. I had to tent camp and loved it.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

ro1459

• ---
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 05:51:56 AM »
Still use tents every year. I have two of them. One a 16 X 20 Outfitters Tent and the other a four season tent for the back country. You can't get an RV or any kind into places we hunt in Colorado every year so tents are necessary. That said, my tents have carpet floors, heaters and wood burning stoves, oversized cots with 4" memory foam mattresses, and lights. We also carry two Honda 2000 generators. I may tent camp but there is no need to be uncomfortable. Oh, we also have a portable outhouse.
Ray and Betsy
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 L Diesel
2014 Keystone Cougar 32 SAB
Soddy Daisy, TN

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 06:30:46 AM »
Deb and I still carry one in the C. We don't use it often. We went to a few Pennsylvania State Parks a couple of years ago tent camping, and other than crushing one of my fingertips in the car door, we really enjoyed it. We were in our late 50's then.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Ernie Ekberg

• ---
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 06:37:54 AM »
YUP- 50 years ago, never again
Ernie Ekberg, Weatherford, Tx
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
www.ernieekbergflooring.net

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 06:55:35 AM »
Our son was born June 1, and we spent July 4th weekend in a tent.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »
My now retired doctor carries a tent on his back and hikes for weeks at a time, all over the nation.  He is as fit and healthy as can be.  One of us is rather stupid.

Cooperhawk

• ---
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
I went camping with the US Army for a few years and that was enough.  I now enjoy the comforts of a soft warm bed and a roof out of the rain and snow.  So sue me.  Oh yeah, Satellite TV is good as well.  Want to talk, bring your lawn chair and cocktail and I'll be a happy man to entertain you.
Jim and Carol Cooper with Oreo the Kitty
FAA ATC ret, VFW, AL, VVA, NRA
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
LOL! We had a tent back in the days when they were actual canvas.  Coleman stoves, grates for cooking over a campfire, collapsible water jugs, sleeping bags, etc.

I recall one rainy spring weekend when the waterproofing on the canvas gave out and we got nearly as wet inside as it was outdoors!  One major leak sprung right over my wife's bedding and it got soaked while we were traipsing out & about in the rain.  She was not a happy camper (especially when I laughed!).   We bought our first pop-up trailer the following week!  Had a load of fun, though, and we still tell the stories. 
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 11:16:46 AM »
My first experience camping was in a state park in Duluth Minnesota.  It was probably around October 1961.  Woke up to snow on the ground and an outhouse, about 100 yards away.  It wasn't too cold, probably only 30-31º.  Fast forward to 1996.  Asked my son if he wanted to go camping.  Following week I'm buying my first tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses, coleman lantern and stove.  Next thing we're heading to the Sierras.  Set up tent, talk to neighbor, listen to story, mostly in German, "grosser bear tear hole in tent".  No prior experience with bears.  Spent the night sleeping in back of SUV.     
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

cadee2c

• ---
  • Follow your arrow wherever it points
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 11:32:36 AM »
Now thats funny
Caryl- Pilot
Mister Hank - Co-pilot and homeland security

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

May the Llama of Happiness forever spit in your direction

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
Are you sure that's not spelled TENSE?  :o ::) ;D

Actually, my first camping was with the scouts, but the folks occasionally would take a tent along when we traveled through the Rockies. After getting married, we tried a mini-motorhome (now Class C) for a couple of years, then picked up a backpacking tent and sleeping bags, which we actually enjoyed more, at that time. Camped periodically for a number of years, then started camping with the scouts, too, in the mid-80s when my sons got old enough for scouts. Finally got a Trailmanor trailer in 2006, then upgraded to a motorhome in 2010.

The old bod no longer likes sleeping on the ground, in a bag, even on a ThermaRest, so our mobile apartment serves us well these days. We do still have tent and bags, though, if we ever need them.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »
When dome tents became available we bought one.
The first time out with it I did not know what that extra piece of nylon was for until we woke up soaked the next morning. I then learned that it was a rain fly and was needed to keep the rain out! :o
To this day, when I wake up in the trailer listening to rain hit the roof I think about how nice it is to wake up dry. 8)
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
Hi,

Just before we retired, my wife and I camped in a tent while looking for motorhomes. Pretty good for 62 year olds but we did have an air mattress. BTW we put our junk in the tent and slept in the mini van. I had thought ahead and bought a heater which we had to use in 30 degree weather. Picture is of our setup at Catalina State Park north of Tucson.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »
Does anyone remember TENTS??

Boy, do I!!!  After Daddy returned from a not-so-fun tenting experience trekking across Europe during World War II he eventually got out of the Army and I inherited his tent.  Yep, one of those canvas kinds that weighed a ton and I carried it on many Girl Scout outings.  Along with his canteen and mess kit with utensils.  The other girls may have had newer things but I got along pretty well with my basics.  I probably weighed all of 100 pounds so you might say it toughened me up!  I used that stuff until I graduated from both high school and the Girl Scouts at age 18.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

signcut

• ---
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 08:18:32 AM »
For a decade, I camped with (and lots of time, without) a tent in the Army; spent plenty of nights sleeping in the dirt, or in the rain or snow, or fully clothed, or some combination of those. I decided that camping in the future would have a very different meaning, and so it does.

Nothing wrong with tents, but as always, different strokes for different folks, and that's a good thing...   ;)
"Man is the only animal that blushes... or needs to." - Mark Twain

Cooperhawk

• ---
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 08:48:39 AM »
For a decade, I camped with (and lots of time, without) a tent in the Army; spent plenty of nights sleeping in the dirt, or in the rain or snow, or fully clothed, or some combination of those. ;)

In my entire time in the Army I never had the luxury of a tent.  If we were not in barracks we slept wherever we were.  Sometimes we had a sleeping bag, but often we did not.  My last night in VN I slept in six inches of water, course it was warm water.  We did have a roof where we hung our class As so we could get on the plane in the morning looking sharp.  Spent many nights sleeping in sand or jungle with nothing.

I like my comforts now.
Jim and Carol Cooper with Oreo the Kitty
FAA ATC ret, VFW, AL, VVA, NRA
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 09:07:01 AM »
My dad, brother and I camped in a sears canvas tent. That was in the early 60’s. Got married and dad gave us the tent. Wife and I camped in the Sears tent. Joined the AF and tent camped at different locations. Went to Japan and tent camped all around that country. Now we have a small TT but carry an EZ Up with a tent that attaches to the inside frame. The tent is 10x10x7.5. We have two large cots with pads and nice sleeping bags. The cots have built in bedside tables. The tent is great for storage too. Very easy to put up. I do that while the wife squares away the inside of the RV.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 09:21:06 AM »
Oh yah, the good ol' tent! Money was tight when I was a kid and our annual family vacation was a week at Delta Lake State Park. We had a huge canvas tent - weighed 50+ lbs and had exterior poles. We did have the luxury of cots, at least. Also spent a considerable amount of time in tents (or under a tarp or even homemade lean-to) while in Scouts in all sorts of weather. We took our 2 girls tent camping a number of times but got a pop-up when they were 9 and 7 and haven't looked back!
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
My guess would be a large percentage of rvers were tent campers in their youth. They have carried their love of camping over to rving. I know my crowd used to camp all the time when we were young. Tents were what we used. We used to take an annual canoe trip to Algonquin Provincial Park. We would go between five and ten days, carrying all our gear and canoes over portage trails for miles. These days, not so much. Ive grown accustomed to having a bed, heat, air conditioning, a washroom etc handy at all times. I wont even buy a machine unless it has electric start and reverse. I guess I just getting soft in my old age. My days of sleeping on the ground are far behind me.

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
My dad had a travel trailer when I was a kid, so I was an RV'er in my teens.  After I left home, I spent a lot of years tent camping.  When I got married the wife, kids, and I always tent camped.  After the kids all grew, my wife and I started tent camping on a motorcycle, then we went to tent camping on 2 motorcycles.  As the tent got bigger and an air mattress was added, I started pulling a cargo trailer behind my bike.
Then one day the DW said she wasn't sleeping on the ground any more.  I hesitated to mention that sleeping on a double height, king sized air mattress wasn't exactly "sleeping on the ground".  My wife started looking on Craigslist for an RV, and that was all she wrote.
No more tent camping for us.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
Yep,we had a canvas tent.  Inflatable pillows,much like a small rubber raft.  Remember those?  Camped at Assateague State Park in MD.  Sand in everything,no trees for shade.  Also did some camping along the C and O Canal.  My dad was a member of the canal association.
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500