Great river road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catawba1

Is the great river road doable in class A from Memphis to thru Mississippi  seems like a lot of bridges may be on this route

We drove it from Baton Rouge to Memphis last Spring.  Actually it was a little disappointing.  The road was fine but there wasn't that much to see unless you stopped in the little towns and explored.  Mostly farm land and occasionally the river.

Now I'll tell you what made it worth while, Vicksburg Ms.  That city and the battlefield were worth every bit of three days we spent there.  The National Battlefield Park is huge and well done.  Also there a a Union Iron Clad that has been raised from the river bed and is on display there.

I tried it a few years ago. It is extremely difficult to find and follow. There were sections that were marked, but mostly it was fantasy.

Pick up a guide book to help you find interesting sites along the way. The River isn?t nearly the attraction the historic towns are. We have done much of the northern part from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri to Saint Louis.

We did a trip up the Mississippi in 2010 in our way to AirVenture in OshKosh.  Starting at Denham Spring nears Baton Rouge, this was our route:
  • Denham Springs KOA, Denham Springs LA
  • Lake Bruin State Park, St. Joseph LA
  • Great River Road State Park, Rosedale MS (Now day-use only)
  • Tom Sawyer RV Park, West Memphis AR
  • Hawn State Park, Genevieve MO
  • Sundermeir RV, St. Charles MO
  • Mark Twain Cave CG, Hannibal MO
  • Geode State Park, Danville IA
  • Bellevue State Park, Bellevue IA
  • Madison KOA, Madison WI
  • Sleepy Hollow Farm, Oshkosh WI

Now I'll tell you what made it worth while, Vicksburg Ms.  That city and the battlefield were worth every bit of three days we spent there.  The National Battlefield Park is huge and well done.

Oh my goodness yes.  Don't miss Vicksburg.  We had a battlefield tour with a retired teacher who was then over 90.  That lady was amazing.  She faced us in the bus and never looked to see where things were!  I think she knew the location of every blade of grass on that battlefield!  She was like an encyclopedia and knew all the numbers, monuments, where the marble came from - absolutely everything.  The funny thing was our tour bus driver had been one of her students and let me tell you it was Yes, m'am, No Miss __.  He told us privately that he wouldn't dream of "misbehaving" even at his age and we'd better not either!  It was a great tour in every respect.  Vicksburg also has some beautiful antebellum homes.

ArdraF

Tom Sawyer RV park on the Arkansas side of the river, just south of Memphis, is a good place to spend a couple of days.  You will be parked right next to the river and can watch the boats go up and down the river.

I stayed in Tom Sawyer last year. At that time it was in West Memphis Arkansas.

Just wanted to add Riverview RV park in Louisiana, just across the river from Natchez, Mississippi to the list

Back
Top Bottom