Wind Chimes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2PawsRiver

We have done very little camping in campgrounds and just got our first Toy Hauler.  At our home on 20 acres with no neighbors we kept a windchime out front.  A medium sized Corinthian Bells windchime.  We brought it with us and have it out now, but we are the only campers, work camping in a Methodist Camp.  It stays silent on less there is a breeze.  We will be moving to an actual camp ground in November......what is the general rule of thumb, if there is one.....wind chime or no wind chime.

I like them but some can be really annoying.  I agree with Rene.  Two a.m. would be the pits.  So best not to have one.

ArdraF

My suggestion, if you really like wind chimes that much, hang it in your bedroom and turn on a box fan....and enjoy.....cause I sure don't want to hear one making noise all day and all night.

Imagine you have a wind chime and I have one on the site next to you and the folks across from you have one. It could get quite chimey after awhile. I know they sound nice to you when it?s yours. Kinda like a barking dog. The owner is the only one that can?t hear it.

I would much rather hear wind chimes than barking dogs, screaming drunks and temper tantrum children.

I've been in plenty of camps where others had wind chimes.

So many folks are hermetically sealed up inside engrossed in wifi or TV with the AC running that I can't imagine how they could even hear a wind chime.

Many wind chimes don't even carry the noise more than a few feet, so it depends on how crowded the  camp is and how loud the windchimes are.

Not once have I run into a rule in a camp against wind chimes.

Speaking of noise...
Any diesel RV or diesel pickup truck is going to make a heck of a ruckus that will drown out conversation at normal volume outside and they are not included with the quiet hours noise.

I think it's more of a check your surroundings and make a judgement call. If it's blustery at night, one can always bring the wind chimes inside at the quiet hours.

;D

So there you have it, lots of info to think about.

DearMissMermaid said:
I would much rather hear wind chimes than barking dogs, screaming drunks and temper tantrum children.

So many folks are hermetically sealed up inside engrossed in wifi or TV with the AC running that I can't imagine how they could even hear a wind chime.

Many wind chimes don't even carry the noise more than a few feet, so it depends on how crowded the  camp is and how loud the windchimes are.

Speaking of noise...
Any diesel RV or diesel pickup truck is going to make a heck of a ruckus that will drown out conversation at normal volume outside and they are not included with the quiet hours noise.

I think it's more of a check your surroundings and make a judgement call. If it's blustery at night, one can always bring the wind chimes inside at the quiet hours.

;D

Well of course we would rather hear a wind chime rather than barking dogs, child tantrums or loud drunks. But normally those sounds will drown out a wind chime. But I guess your right in a way. We like to listen to NPR if we can get a signal or we play music. We have outside speakers. We try to play the radio or DVD at a volume that we think we can only hear. So how is that any different than wind chimes? I am changing my stance. I won?t mind wind chimes (they don?t have a volume control though).

DearMissMermaid said:

Speaking of noise...

;D

Well said  :)) :))

I like what dearmissmermaid wrote- especially about checking your surroundings. There are lots of unwanted noises in a campground. We should not add to them, sound really travels much further than you think. Next time you have your wind chimes, outdoor TV or speakers on walk over to the neighbors and see if you can hear your devices. Nothing spoils a quiet evening of playing cards or enjoying conversation then the sound of something you really don't want to listen to. 

My wife's on the road hobby is making wind chimes.  She uses depression glass dishes and other cool glass pieces and then uses stained glass pieces for the chimes.  Before we sold out and went full time, she used to sell at the biggest craft fair in Arkansas twice a year.  In fact, the craft fairs were the reason we got our first RV.
We always have a couple of chimes hanging from our awning. Being glass, we do pull them down during extreme windy conditions.  On normal days the chimes can barely be heard 30 feet away.
The only noise complaint I've ever received was some jerk pounding on the side of my coach at 4 am shouting at me to turn my generator off.  I told the stupid guy that it was my furnace running, not my generator(I was plugged in to shore power), and since it was in the 40's outside, I wasn't turning it off.

No wind chimes; they can be maddening. And while we're on the subject no radios at the pool unless with ear phones. I'm not fond of radios or tv's either but perhaps understandable within reason.  People have different tastes!

Ernie

We are currently in a campground/parking lot where my neighbors are no more than 15? away. Actually, this is roomy compared to some places we stay while on our way to somewhere else! In such close quarters you really do want to be considerate of your neighbors. Save the wind chimes for when you are in a state park 50? or more from neighbors.

DearMissMermaid said:
Speaking of noise...
;D

DearMissMermaid
Barking dogs, screaming drunks, temper tantrum children, and diesel RVs, or diesel pickup trucks, don't make noise every time a breeze blows on them.

BTW if your wind chime is bothering me I can't bring it inside... (but one snip of a wire cutter can/will/does FIX any wind chime).

We had a neighbor with her wind chimes hanging on the end of her 5th wheel...about as far away from her bedroom as could be ..really.
That same wind chime was only about 10 feet from our bedroom!...About 4.00am somehow they ceased functioning....  Sorry...no wind chimes in any campground..I understand  noisy dogs and kids..but usually that is only temporary .  consider other peoples feelings with incessant noise 24 hours a day..

I hate them and would much rather hear the sounds of nature, such as birds chirping and leaves rustling in the wind.

jack L

I don't mind wind chimes. They tend to drown out noises other campers make. Plus they have the added benefit of alerting you of hazardous weather.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom