Wind Chimes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I HATE wind chimes, and if I were to be camped near someone with wind chimes, I would ask the camp host or ranger to move me to another site if the person insisted on leaving them up.  They would prevent me from sleeping at night and concentrating during the day, so I would probably have to leave the campground if I were forced to listen to them day or night. 

I can handle road noise, trains, even people who like to run their diesel vehicles at 6 am, but wind chimes are extremely annoying even if they are not very loud.  To me, it is like being forced to listen to someone else's music played outside of my rig. 

So, please leave them home or hang them inside your rig with a fan, as was suggested.

I agree with some of the others; NO wind chimes.  People put them outside their house where they can't hear them but their neighbors sure can.  I feel the same way about outside speakers.

I'm a bit amazed at the number of people with strong feelings about wind chimes.  Had no idea that so many object!  I'll grant that some of them are big and can make a lot of sound, but many barely tinkle.  This topic has been enlightening to me.

my wife loves wind chimes, me, not so much.  Kind of like a song that just keeps playing, good song, but move to another track.  In a CG,  anything outside should be quiet enough to not be heard on the next site.

I remember way back, we were in a State CG, no power on sites, (so far back we were. in tent), the next site over had a portable radio playing very loud, actually drowning out our own radio we had playing low enough to have a conversation sitting next to it!,  I asked them to turn it down, they turned it up.  I went in search of a Ranger to intervene.  While I was gone, they must have gotten common sense because when I returned, it was quiet.  My wife informed me, she went to the truck, picked another station and cranked it up!  Theirs went quiet, and then ours went quiet.  Probably not the best way to settle something, (especially nowadays(), but it did the trick.

To put that in a wind chime scenario, maybe hang some trash cans from a limb and bang on them, when the chimers come to see what is going on, the explanation would be, like my chimes?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'm a bit amazed at the number of people with strong feelings about wind chimes.  Had no idea that so many object!  I'll grant that some of them are big and can make a lot of sound, but many barely tinkle.  This topic has been enlightening to me.

Then you'd probably be amazed at my feelings about rock music, even some of the more "modern" (read rock-like) country music -- I've actually walked out of stores on occasion because of what was coming over the speakers. And I quit a dentist because he allowed the "music" that had been soft, just audible, to get moderately loud (to me, at least).

And I'm one of those who enjoy the wind chimes for a minute or two, but they soon become annoying.

Larry N. said:
Then you'd probably be amazed at my feelings about rock music, even some of the more "modern" (read rock-like) country music -- I've actually walked out of stores on occasion because of what was coming over the speakers. And I quit a dentist because he allowed the "music" that had been soft, just audible, to get moderately loud (to me, at least).

And I'm one of those who enjoy the wind chimes for a minute or two, but they soon become annoying.
Sounds like I will need to leave my bagpipe practice until I get home.....    ;D ;D ;D ;D

jackiemac said:
Sounds like I will need to leave my bagpipe practice until I get home..... 

Bring the bagpipe and I'll bring the accordion, between the two we will have the campground to ourselves.  :p

lynnmor said:
Bring the bagpipe and I'll bring the accordion, between the two we will have the campground to ourselves.  :p

Ha ha, great idea although I was joking, I don't have any and can't play them.  They are not my favourite instrument to listen to....

But an empty campground always sounds like bliss.

jackiemac said:
Sounds like I will need to leave my bagpipe practice until I get home.....    ;D ;D ;D ;D

For a short time, they might be nice to listen to -- I do (up to a point) like bagpipe music, much better than most rock. Still...  8)

Random noise with no rhythm is not something I enjoy for long.  The DW hung several in our backyard but 'somehow' they have all become tangled up over time.  :)

Some sounds are best heard from a distance,  Wind chimes 100 yds away, just a little occasionall tinkling...  and Bagpipes, while really loud up close are so haunting from a field away.  Rap and hip hop, best heard from about a hundred miles.  Acoustic bluegrass however, I like to be in the middle.

No problem on the wind chimes.  I would just turn my stereo up loud enough to drown them out.

Tell ya what.  I will take a campground full of wind chimes if ya make all the campfires and barking dogs and added decorative outside lighting illegal.  (also add NPR to that list- for my retired AF buddy> ;D

Bill

jackiemac said:

I went to Dunoon Scotland years ago for work and while there, they had their annual Cowell Games. One of the events was the bagpipe band competition. I think there were 100 bands there. I heard bagpipes all weekend long and all hours of the night. Scotts love their laga. Our hotel was right downtown. At the end of the competition all the bands march into this huge infield playing the same song all together at the same time. I hope I never hear another bag pipe. Just kidding. But it was interesting. ONE TIME!!!

Bill N said:
Tell ya what.  I will take a campground full of wind chimes if ya make all the campfires and barking dogs and added decorative outside lighting illegal.  (also add NPR to that list- for my retired AF buddy> ;D

Bill

Now you?ve done it. I?m going to track you down and camp right next you and blare NPR, build a huge bonfire and leave my grandkids Pomeranian tied up outside all night (that dog is cute but has this irritating yap, yap, yap that he refuses to stop unless you catch him and hold his snout closed).  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom